This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rollercoaster.....

Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I have been gluten free for a full 7 days now (big accomplishment :rolleyes: ) and on day 4 I started feeling a little better, days 5 and 6 were great, but here on day 7 I feel like crap. My muscles ache, my sinus problems are back, and my brain doesn't seem to work.

I expected a wait of at least a year before feeling 100%, but didn't expect a set back.

Now the question, is this normal? do you think I am coming down with the flu or something?

Maybe I am freaking out over nothing. (I do that a lot)

oh, I know 100% sure that I didn't get glutened today. <_< It seems to have hit me all at once though, 2 hours ago I was fine, and now I am......well.... yucky and achey and blech.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lister Rising Star

either you got cc from something, check your personel products or it could just be you detoxing i have been gluten free for 3 and a half weeks and i still dont feel normal at all, i have my up days and my way down days

CarlaB Enthusiast

I am 5 months gluten free. I have mostly good days, but some days where I know I was gluten-free I'll feel symptoms. Usually if I have a major setback, I read labels on everything I used, including shampoos, lotions, etc. and find something that has gluten in it. Now that I've been through everything so many times, it's not as often that I get glutened.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I am 5 months gluten free. I have mostly good days, but some days where I know I was gluten-free I'll feel symptoms. Usually if I have a major setback, I read labels on everything I used, including shampoos, lotions, etc. and find something that has gluten in it. Now that I've been through everything so many times, it's not as often that I get glutened.

I know that all my makeup/personal care stuff is gluten-free since my girls have been gluten free so long I read everything everything.

Today I had a cup of coffee (gluten free), some gluten free cereal, a salad (lettuce tomatoes, cucumbers, no dressing), some pinto beans and fried potatoes, 4 glasses of water, and a Coke.

all of it gluten free......

I have no clue how I could have gotten glutened. Maybe I am just sick, completely unrelated to celiac?

CarlaB Enthusiast

Could be the beans, sometimes they get me! I drink coffee every day and sometimes that gets me too! I assume you made the fried potaoes? Since your girls are gluten-free you're not using contaminated wooden spoons (they glutened me once!) or cast iron, toasters, non-stick cookware, etc.?

We tend to blame everything on gluten, but I got just a regular cold last week. It only lasted one day; my shortest cold ever!

GravStars Contributor
I know that all my makeup/personal care stuff is gluten-free since my girls have been gluten free so long I read everything everything.

Today I had a cup of coffee (gluten free), some gluten free cereal, a salad (lettuce tomatoes, cucumbers, no dressing), some pinto beans and fried potatoes, 4 glasses of water, and a Coke.

I have no clue how I could have gotten glutened. Maybe I am just sick, completely unrelated to celiac?

i don't know, but it seems that some people go back and forth for a while after going gluten-free, maybe its just part of the healing? i'm on day 3 (i messed up before) and i don't feel any better, but then again i don't know if this is what's wrong with me. i almost hope it is, if that means feeling well again. blah

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Could be the beans, sometimes they get me! I drink coffee every day and sometimes that gets me too! I assume you made the fried potaoes? Since your girls are gluten-free you're not using contaminated wooden spoons (they glutened me once!) or cast iron, toasters, non-stick cookware, etc.?

We tend to blame everything on gluten, but I got just a regular cold last week. It only lasted one day; my shortest cold ever!

everything was homemade in gluten free dinnerware.......I am so paranoid about CC my girls that someone once called me a "gluten nazi".

I think I may just have a cold, although I did just remember that I forgot my soap in my purse today and washed my hands in the bathroom with church soap, maybe it had gluten in it? My hands kinda itch?

I think I am crazy......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lister Rising Star

your probably just going down on the rollercoaster its like that for a while. but the flue is going around right now down here. 3 of my coworkers have explosive D and one of my managers called in with "the bird flu" lol i know she did not go to the doctor so i think its funny that she desided to self diagnose herself with it, because if she acually had it it would be a media frenzy down here

Lisa Mentor
I have been gluten free for a full 7 days now (big accomplishment :rolleyes: ) and on day 4 I started feeling a little better, days 5 and 6 were great, but here on day 7 I feel like crap. My muscles ache, my sinus problems are back, and my brain doesn't seem to work.

I expected a wait of at least a year before feeling 100%, but didn't expect a set back.

Now the question, is this normal? do you think I am coming down with the flu or something?

Maybe I am freaking out over nothing. (I do that a lot)

oh, I know 100% sure that I didn't get glutened today. <_< It seems to have hit me all at once though, 2 hours ago I was fine, and now I am......well.... yucky and achey and blech.

I can't tell you how hard it is to be TOTALLY gluten free in the beginning. It's almost like you have to crawl in a hole and eat fruits and nuts. I have been trying to be gluten free since August and I have made so many goofs. Most of them dinning out. Lipstick is still a challenge for me, because the ingrediance listings are so damn small that no one can read them, then they are in chemical language. That I depend on references here on the site.

There will be many ups and downs. We all have to be a master of our craft. But, I have to say that this weekend, I got really angry at my disability. We went to a wonderful wedding reception and it was catered by the best restaurant around. As I check with the chef, there were only a few options for me. The food that I passed up was to die for. I can live in my own little kitchen and cook wonderful food, as I love experimenting and enjoy quality food, but sometimes, I just get pissed off. I get mad at me, I get mad at my situation, as I know this is for life, and that pisses me off. I just get angry.

I know that this is also a state of mind, but don't some of you just get angry sometimes, when you have to detail your consumtion day after day after day.......

I may be off post, I don't even remember what the post was, sorry,......... Lisa

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I can't tell you how hard it is to be TOTALLY gluten free in the beginning. It's almost like you have to crawl in a hole and eat fruits and nuts. I have been trying to be gluten free since August and I have made so many goofs. Most of them dinning out. Lipstick is still a challenge for me, because the ingrediance listings are so damn small that no one can read them, then they are in chemical language. That I depend on references here on the site.

My youngest will have been gluten free for 2 years as of tomorrow (it's also her 3rd birthday) so we are celebrating with gluten free cake. I am pretty used to checking stuff out, although I did gluten myself Thursday... I was SO mad, I kept thinking "stupid, you know better than that..." but I am over it now. Today however just confuses me...

There will be many ups and downs. We all have to be a master of our craft. But, I have to say that this weekend, I got really angry at my disability. We went to a wonderful wedding reception and it was catered by the best restaurant around. As I check with the chef, there were only a few options for me. The food that I passed up was to die for. I can live in my own little kitchen and cook wonderful food, as I love experimenting and enjoy quality food, but sometimes, I just get pissed off. I get mad at me, I get mad at my situation, as I know this is for life, and that pisses me off. I just get angry.

I know that this is also a state of mind, but don't some of you just get angry sometimes, when you have to detail your consumtion day after day after day.......

I may be off post, I don't even remember what the post was, sorry,......... Lisa

I don't really get all that mad. I have spent so much time trying to explain to my girls and the other adults who take care of them that gluten is poison that I really get kinda grossed out thinking about it. I do get really angry sometimes though when I find gluten in something that there is no reason for it to be there, like what in the heck is wrong with Blue Bell Ice Cream?! They put wheat starch in their chocolate ice cream! I didn't eat any, I checked before I bought, but come on wheat in chocolate ice cream?! what's the purpose of that? they just don't like me :(:P

Oh, well, Bryers makes gluten-free choc. ice cream, so I guess I will live. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

So does Haagen Dazs!

I got mad only once that I remember ... I thought, "Thank you, God, that I'm finally working through denial and am on to anger!" :lol:

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
So does Haagen Dazs!

I got mad only once that I remember ... I thought, "Thank you, God, that I'm finally working through denial and am on to anger!" :lol:

okay so I have been through denial and anger... what happens next? (so, I can forwarn hubby and he doesn't think I lost my mind?!) :lol:

aikiducky Apprentice

If you got glutened last thursday you could still have been feeling that reaction. My reactions are usually: 2-3 days of feeling really bad, then 2-3 days of getting better, the day 6 or 7 BAM the reaction is back, and then after that it tapers off.

Pauliina

dionnek Enthusiast

I think that is normal. I am not at that stage yet (still in somewhat denial that all this could be happening to me), but I know I will be. I love to go out to dinner and we are in 2 dinner clubs that meet monthly (no more of that for me :( I am just very upset right now that my style of life will once again change so dramatically (I adjusted with the change after having a baby, and am starting to get pissed off that I have to adjust/change again - well, guess the anger stage is hitting me now!) <_<

CarlaB Enthusiast

After the one bout with anger, I just moved onto this is my lot ... at least I don't have cancer like I thought I might when I was losing a pound a week! Then I see two of my acquaintances who are totally bald from chemo and think, all I have is a little embarrassment at a restaurant! Not to diminish our problem, but at least I'm just fighting to STAY healthy now (if someone had told me this during denial or anger, I'd have punched them :blink: ). I'm very thankful for how healthy I am, so I'm happy to know why I wasn't healthy before. I've been the one who was always sick my whole life, for the past 5 months, I've been the healthiest person in our house!

So, just warn your husband that you won't be sick all the time anymore, that you'll be happy to be eating in a way that keeps you healthy, and that he's going to have to figure out how to put all your newfound energy to use! My husband keeps looking at me and saying, "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?"

wolfie Enthusiast

I know that in the beginning it was very up for a while and then down. It was a lot of learning and then I found out that I was intolerant to soy, too. The longer I am gluten-free, the better I feel. I do have bad days on occasion, though, and I go back to my labels and possible CC.

Hang in there!!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

things seem worse today, I am itchy all over, achey, I have a headache and I can't think, I seriously can't concentrate on anything, I forgot how to spell Wednesday?!

I am sitting here earlier and helping my 4 year old with her math, and I forgot how to explain how to carry when we are adding 2 digit numbers, it's like my brain quit working.....

I have all these weird bumps on my right leg.... what if I CC'd myself?! what if all the attention I pay to everything doesn't make any difference, what if I have been glutening my kids for 2 years and they didn't tell me they felt crappy????????

sorry, bad day... I do seem to freak out a lot more this week though..... :ph34r:

brendygirl Community Regular

Thanks, Lisa!! I am feeling so upset today. I am glad to know someone else feels that way.

My mom doesn't understand how extensive it all is. She said, just eat spaghetti! People think it's only bread that I can't eat. They tell me I'm lucky I'm thin. It's so hard to be mindful of everything all the time. I always prided myself on being independent and low maintenance and lighthearted.

Bren

lindalee Enthusiast

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Thanks, Lisa!! I am feeling so upset today. I am glad to know someone else feels that way.

My mom doesn't understand how extensive it all is. She said, just eat spaghetti! People think it's only bread that I can't eat. They tell me I'm lucky I'm thin. It's so hard to be mindful of everything all the time. I always prided myself on being independent and low maintenance and lighthearted.

Bren

I am sorry you are having a rough time of it. My family is pretty used to celiac in general since my youngest was diagnosed 2 years ago. I get kinda cranky with the "but she can have white bread right?" type of people, I say "whatever it is you eat, 90% of it she can't have"

I guess now I can't have it either :( oh, well, I am feeling better.

I did tell someone (that I didn't want to talk to about celiac) the other day, that I was on the Adam and Eve diet, I eat things God makes and if it has to be processed or mixed up (like bread or pasta) I don't want it. They looked at me weird and handed me my apple and didn't ask me about "can't you have crackers?" again.

Probably wasn't my best moment though. :lol:

NSG Newbie
So, just warn your husband that you won't be sick all the time anymore, that you'll be happy to be eating in a way that keeps you healthy, and that he's going to have to figure out how to put all your newfound energy to use! My husband keeps looking at me and saying, "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?"

Having dealt with this for over 17 years with our daughter - my husband is knows about Celiac and that makes him scared now that I have had a similar reaction. He worries all the time and has become the Gluten Police - But guess who eats gluten in front of us! As does our 21 year old son!!

It's hard to know that you are totally 100% gluten-free and still function in today's society. It's better that it has been in the past. But it is still hard when your co-workers and freinds are tempting you all day long and have no clue how a slice of bread, a cookie, or a donut can make you sick.

I have watched my daughter ride that rollercoaster and sometimes I am not sure that I can do it.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I always prided myself on being independent and low maintenance and lighthearted.

That's funny! I always joke about how great it is to be high maintenance! This was even before celiac. But, I treat all those around me as high-maintenance as well. I think it creates a wonderful, caring for others atmosphere. Don't be afraid of being high-maintenance! Make a joke out of it, then it loses it's negative connotation.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I always prided myself on being independent and low maintenance and lighthearted.

That's funny! I always joke about how great it is to be high maintenance! This was even before celiac. But, I treat all those around me as high-maintenance as well. I think it creates a wonderful, caring for others atmosphere. Don't be afraid of being high-maintenance! Make a joke out of it, then it loses it's negative connotation.

if you think about it we are kinda low maintenence, we only need 3 food groups instead of 4 LOL see? throw out the whole bread group, we don't care, we don't want it LOL

Having dealt with this for over 17 years with our daughter - my husband is knows about Celiac and that makes him scared now that I have had a similar reaction. He worries all the time and has become the Gluten Police - But guess who eats gluten in front of us! As does our 21 year old son!!

It's hard to know that you are totally 100% gluten-free and still function in today's society. It's better that it has been in the past. But it is still hard when your co-workers and freinds are tempting you all day long and have no clue how a slice of bread, a cookie, or a donut can make you sick.

I have watched my daughter ride that rollercoaster and sometimes I am not sure that I can do it.

you can do it, it just won't be as fun as a real rollercoaster. As far as your friends, you can scare them with "there is enough gluten in 1/48th of a slice of bread to damage my intestines" or you can make them watch that episode of House.. they will think twice offering you a cookie after that LOL

oh, and bring your own cookies, and when people ask about it say "I like these better, they don't higher my risk of cancer"

or..maybe I am in a weird mood today, in that case disregard this entire post. :lol:

Archived