Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Other Celiacs That Are Overweight?

• Please log in to reply

95 replies to this topic

#16 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:32 AM

Bigapplekathleen,

Did you post the "e-mail weight loss group" site somewhere? I've looked through several sites but have not been able to find it. If so, would you mind posting it again. Thanks so much..................Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 webgyrl

webgyrl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 05:16 AM

Another 100 pounder here! lol. I developed celiac disease when I was pregnant with my son 12 years ago. Gained 90 pounds in the last 90 days...whew. And that was with hardly eating anything!

I never suffered from constipation...it was only ever diarrhea. From what I gather, I was severly malnourished at the time of my diagnosis and my body reacted by shutting metabolism completely down. It's very surreal when you're so overweight to hear that you're suffering from malnutrition.

I've been gluten-free for 13 months now and have only lost 10 pounds, but that's 10 pounds I was unable to lose before. I'm hopeful after reading the post by the gal who said she was told it would take 2-3 years. Whee! :-)

#18 mdruchunas

mdruchunas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:36 AM

We are all in a very strange predicament... I was dxed with celiac disease in March of 2003 and was a normal weight (145 lb, 5'7") and eating anything I wanted, but in the year that I've been gluten-free, I have gained almost 50 lbs! I started the Suzanne Somers diet (really simple... just cut out all sugar and simple carbs--easy for people who are already used to going without bread and cake!) and have lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks! I am so excited to be moving in the right direction again! We go from basically a starvation state to all of a sudden being able to absorb everything we put into our bodies. Of COURSE our metabolisms are slow!

"You can think of your metabolism as a bonfire and the food you eat as logs you put on the fire. If the bonfire is burning big and hot, it has no trouble consuming the additional wood that you put on it. You put a giant log on it and it burns it in minutes. Conversely, if the bonfire begins to die out and burn more slowly, it doesn't burn the new wood you put on it so quickly. If you put a big log on the smoldering embers of a fire, the log is liable to just sit there. It may take all night for it to slowly burn away. Again, your metabolism works the same way. If your metabolism is very slow it can't burn all the calories you feed it. The food you eat just sits there and eventually gets stored as fat." -Michael Thurmond

#19 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:24 PM

Thank God for being poor! My family was poor when I was a child, so we ate what grew in the vegetable garden, and whatever Grandpa slaughtered, with very little money for bread, pasta, and the like. That is probably why I did not have any celiac disease symptoms until I was an adult, married to a man that loves his bread and pasta! I very quickly gained 100 pounds, and was always constipated. Since I started gluten-free on Valentine's Day, I have lost at least 1 pound a week. I am currently using WW for accountability, but seriously considering not renewing in June. There is very little tolerance for Celiacs and diabetics on the boards there. I desperately need to be told that what I am going through is normal, and I am not alone!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#20 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 01:06 PM

I desperately need to be told that what I am going through is normal, and I am not alone!

Dessa, You are NOT alone! :D We are all in the same boat. We may not all have the exact same symptoms or reactions, but with the common ground of gluten intolerance you will never feel alone on this message board!

Michael, I think I should look into this low sugar diet. I lost 5 lbs the first week gluten-free, but after that nothing is coming off. Of course I am still eating gluten-free breads and cakes, so maybe that is my problem. I just worry that it will be the same as the other low carb diets I've tried. I lose the weight quickly when I cut carbs, but gain it right back again if I eat even a few carbs over the limit. Very frustrating. I need to lose about 50 lbs. and I would like to get it off soon. I think I will have more energy if I do. I'm only 5'2" and I just feel so heavy and tired all the time.

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#21 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:11 PM

OK, UPS brought my gluten-free pasta today. It was so good, I ate two big servings! How do I keep from overeating on the foods that I love, and now can eat? I just do not seem to have enough self-control! I am glad to have found these foods, though! How do you measure, and keep track of the calories? :huh:
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#22 gf4life

gf4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:19 PM

Dessa,

I think it is common to go a little overboard when we first get our new gluten-free foods that we have been missing so much. I know I did, but now after 2 months I have relaxed a little bit and gotten used to eating gluten-free. I have to pace myself and have printed up little meal lists, so I can try to not over eat. If I stick to the serving amounts and limit my special treats to a couple of times a week (instead of a couple a day! :rolleyes: ) then I should be okay. I am trying to lose weight not gain more! :) So now I am also trying very hard to stick to the Eat Right 4 Your Type blood type diet. I feel much better when I don't eat the foods that are on my "avoid" list. And limit the high calorie carbohydrate grains. I just hope the weight comes off, since it is not so much of a calorie counting diet, but a healthy eating lifestyle. Fits well into the gluten-free lifestyle, too.

God bless,
Mariann

#23 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:22 PM

I have never heard of the Eat Right For YOur Blood Type Diet. Where can I learn more about this? I am game for anything that will make me feel better, especially if all I have to do is change my eating! B)
Dessa

#24 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:23 PM

Has anyone found the "E-MAIL Weight Loss Grooup" information? I click on each day hoping someone will put it on this site but I've still not found it. Any help would be appreciated.........

Thanks................Judy :rolleyes:

#25 gf4life

gf4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 04:46 PM

Dessa,

Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo is the author of the books "Eat Right 4 Your Type", "Live Right 4 Your Type", "Cook Right 4 Your Type" and Eat Right 4 Your Type: Complete Blood Type Encyclopedia Reference book". I would start with the first book. Most public libraries have them (or can request them for you from other branches) and you don't really need to buy the cookbook or the encyclopedia. The Eat Right 4 Your Type book goes over eat blood type and gives food lists based on blood type. The Live Right 4 Your Type book gets more into detail and talks about the complete blood type lifestyle. It gets more defined in how you eat and exercises for each blood type and diseases common to each blood type and how to decrease your risk factors, etc. Both are excellent and I really do find that most of the foods on my avoid lists are the ones that bother me the most. You can also find out information online at the 4 Your Type website . They also sell a bunch of products specifically for your blood type, but I find they are overpriced and not really needed.

God bless,
Mariann

#26 Lily

Lily

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:03 AM

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know there is hope. I have lost 25 pounds since the first of February. I went on a total allergen elimination diet and am beginning to feel better. I too am trying to follow the Eat Right 4 your Blood Type per my nutritionists instructions. I recently had to travel for work and took some processed gluten free foods with me. Processed foods just don't work that well for me and I'm not feeling so great this week. I find when I prepare all my food from scratch is when I feel at my optimum levels.

Blessings,

Lily

#27 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:24 PM

Hi Judy and all -

Sorry - I haven't checked the message boards in a long time! I have dropped 26 pounds, though. Can you believe that? I have lost 14 pounds since the 3rd week of January. Here's how i did it - i quit eating all processed foods for a while (since I was getting gluten reactions from something that i couldn't figure out...) and only ate PALEO FOOD. I also bought DIET AND EXERCISE ASSISTANT, a software program for my PALM. I use it to track everything I eat and drinnk every day. I also use it to enter my activity level and all exercise. I can easily keep track of how much fat, saturated fat, fiber, calories, carbs, etc, that i am getting every day. I also have felt a lot better. I have dropped from a size 14 down to a size 10 (which are big now). To top it off, I have a scale at home which measures wieght AND body fat, so i am watching my body fat percentage dropping steadily along with the weight, which is a very good thing. i don't want to lose muscle. I exercise 3-5 times a week, usually on my Gazelle freestyle (which we have had for several years).

My husband also uses the same software program on his PALM. he is very athletic, but has been pumping iron and doing cardio to try to increase his muscle mass. He has gained 12 pounds of muscle. It's amazing. Of course, he has to eat 3500 calories a day just to maintain his weight, since he's very active, which is very different than my 1900-2100 calories per day to lose weight.

Judy, if you want to get involved with the weight loss email group, send me an email and I will include your email in our list when we send out messages. Ok?

Kathleen

#28 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:28 PM

Kathleen,

I've tried twice to send you my e-mail address by clicking on the e-mail site on the bottom of your reply but it has come back to me both times as "mail delivery failure". :( I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can you suggest any other way that you can get my address?

Congratulations on your weight loss. Gee, that's great!! I really need to loose about ten pounds, that I've put on since going gluten free, before I'm married this summer. And I know how important exercise is in the whole process. Since spring is coming and I'm a walker, hoepfully that will help.

Thanks for your reply................Judy

#29 Marybet

Marybet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

Hello, I was diagnosed about 6 months ago. I have struggled with constipation and weight (20 to 30 lbs) most of my life. Three years ago I started loosing weight. I lost a total of 30 lbs, I looked great but felt awful.
I have gained about 15lbs in the past 6 months but I do feel better. I feel my energy and strenght returning. My memory has improved and the fog has lifted. I am exercising 3-5 times a week. I would like to drop the weight but I always feel hungry.

#30 nickra

nickra

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 07:04 AM

wow - i am so glad to have found this thread on the forum - after reading about so many people who are under weight due to celiac disease i was starting to think i had been mis-diagnosed. i am a bit (well, maybe a bit more than a bit if i am truthful!) overweight and have always had weight/diet/digestive problems.

i was dx celiac disease only 3 days ago by blood test and i am waitring for my biopsy. this thread has brought me hope that once i sort out my health probs i might be able to sort out my weight problems! one thing at a time i guess!

good luck to everyone out there trying and thanks :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: