Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Other Celiacs That Are Overweight?

• Please log in to reply

95 replies to this topic

#76 Mjohnson73

Mjohnson73

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:45 AM

Wow! I am so glad to hear about others that are in my boat.. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 285 pounds! :( I just started the gluten-free diet a couple of weeks ago... I am still trying figuring out what I can and can't eat... I am just hope that now that I am on gluten-free that I might lose some weight... I just have to be careful, I seem to be now eating everything in sight...I don't know why but i seem to be hungry all the time!

I am going to the grocery store today and I am going to get some fruits and veggies for me to snack on instead of chips (I have found Lays Stax...and they are addictive!)

I am also thinking of cutting out a lot of sweets... I think I am going to try to do only what I can cook for now... especially for dinner... like meat and veggies and a small amount of starch...either rice or mashed potatoes..but do like a little bit of the starch and then most of the meal the meat and veggies... like 1/2 meat, 1/2 veggies and a little pasta or rice or mashed potatoes....

any advice?

Thanks!!

--Maya

gluten-free since 8/1/05
Negative Bloodwork Results: 8/11/05
BIG Improvement on gluten-free Diet: since 8/1/05

6 year old son tested:8/29/05 Low TtG, High IgG (124) , High IgA (48)... now on a gluten-free diet per his dr. and starting to eat like a pig! (WOOHOO!!!!! he never used to eat before!)
Testing 3 year old daughter: (waiting to see if Dr. wants to test her..depends on her height/weight in January)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

Cut out the junk food, sugar and processed foods, even if they are gluten-free. Eat foods with protiens and natural fats plus green vegetables. These foods digest more slowly and you won't feel as hungry. Natural, whole foods are the best. It will take awhile for your body to adjust to eating less. It is really surprising how little food your body really needs. I used to eat constantly but now only eat a tiny fraction of what I used to eat and never feel hungry. I weighed well over 250lbs. I probably weighed closer to 260 or 265 but 250 was the last time I weighed myself when I was overweight. I now weigh 160.

All the dieting in the world is useless if you do not EXERCISE! I used to get exhausted just walking ten feet. Now I can walk for hours and a five mile bike ride is just a warm-up for me. I started lifting weights about four months ago and now do it every other day.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#78 Roro

Roro

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

HI everyone,
Just a quick note to tell you I have dropped 7 pounds in the past 15 days. I gave up gluten-free processed foods (bread, grains, beans) and have been eating a PALEO (caveman) diet. I feel so much better and I quit reacting to whatever was in the processed foods. I am not itching anymore and my stomach has calmed down.

I also bought a diet and exercise tracking program for my PALM, which is absolutely fabulous ! I use it to write down all foods and drinks every day. It keeps track of calories, carbs, protein, fat, saturated fat, and fiber. I also enter exercise and activities to track calories burned.

all the best - have a good week everyone -

kathleen

#79 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:33 AM

I too am one of the overweight celiacs, my sister was one of the ones who got so very thin. When going gluten free, she gained and I lost. I lost 60# in the beginning and felt so much better. Gluten free flours are so much heavier and more calories. I eat lots of rice and I guess I need to cut back on that too. I have gained some of the weight back and I wont let that happen to me again. My sweetie tells me I am not fat, that I am fluffy, but I dont want to be fluffy. The most important thing is I am not sick all the time anymore. I have some bad days, but they are good compared to 4 years ago. Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#80 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:14 AM

I too am one of the overweight celiacs, my sister was one of the ones who got so very thin. When going gluten free, she gained and I lost. I lost 60# in the beginning and felt so much better. Gluten free flours are so much heavier and more calories. I eat lots of rice and I guess I need to cut back on that too. I have gained some of the weight back and I wont let that happen to me again. My sweetie tells me I am not fat, that I am fluffy, but I dont want to be fluffy. The most important thing is I am not sick all the time anymore. I have some bad days, but they are good compared to 4 years ago. Deb

I lost 30 lbs before I was diagnosed with Celiac, and could actually comfortably fit into some of my clothes. In the past 6 months I have gained back the 30 pounds (plus 10). I know that a lot of my problem is depression.

I have a real problem with portion control. It would be nice to be able to freeze leftovers for extra meals, but I will eat a 4 serving meal by myself. I have found a lot of gluten free snacks. Instead of treating myself to one a few times a week, I will treat myself to many on a daily basis. I have managed to stick to a gluten-free diet, but I feed myself to make myself feel better.

I don't know how I am going to make it throug my first gluten-free Christmas season. People bring treats into the office almost on a daily basis. I am going to feel so deprived.

I think it is time to seek out some professional help. :(
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#81 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

I dont know about professional help hun--you just need to start concentrating on the good things about knowing that you are gluten intolerant. I feel it is so much better to know what is wrong with me then to be going through life thinking its all in my head. When people at work bring things in, I just smile and say, no thanks! Patients bring us donuts all the time, I just tell the others which one to eat for me. You have to quit thinking that food is all there is to life, cause it isnt. You cant concentrate on what has been taken away from you, you must concentrate on what was given back to you. I have a life now--I can make plans--I dont live in the bathroom anymore! You just have to set your mind to the fact that we cant go back. Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#82 sonjaf

sonjaf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

Karen don't give up, you will get through this. :D
so many of us understand....
sonja

#83 jacklyn1981

jacklyn1981

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hi, I have just been told that i am a celiac but I'm not convinced as i have been overweight all my life and I do not have the skin issue i have been reading about associated with celiac. While i have battled stomach issues all my life but not to the extent that i have been reading about. The Dr. did a biopsy and said i had it...but i am reluctant to make such a huge change in my eating habits until i am sure...is it possible to have this even though i am overweight and dont get violently sick everytime i eat gluten???

please advise

#84 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hi, I have just been told that i am a celiac but I'm not convinced as i have been overweight all my life and I do not have the skin issue i have been reading about associated with celiac. While i have battled stomach issues all my life but not to the extent that i have been reading about. The Dr. did a biopsy and said i had it...but i am reluctant to make such a huge change in my eating habits until i am sure...is it possible to have this even though i am overweight and dont get violently sick everytime i eat gluten???

please advise

If your biopsy was positive, you have it. Sorry.

I have it and I had no symptoms at all.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#85 MtLady

MtLady

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

Yes, it can be overwhelming at first to learn how to ship and prepare gluten-free meals. A couple of things that make it easier:

find a nutritionist who knows about Celiac Disease. This will be the best money you have ever spent (and maybe it's free, if covered by your health insurance). He/she can help you plan out meal ideas, appropriate foods, etc. I am not sure where you live, but I can recommend someone in NY City if you are close to here.

find a support group in your area. there are many such groups across the country. Meeting with other celiac disease patients can be very helpful.

I, too, have been slightly overweight for most of my adult life (10-20 pounds). After going on the gluten-free diet, i dropped about 16 pounds. I have gained back 4 of those now, but am hoping to lose another 10-15 pounds total. I am part of an EMAIL weight-loss group for celiacs. If you want more info, let me know.

I know what it's like to be overwhelmed by all the things in your life. Just remember to make and take the time for yourself first - especially while you are pregnant. This is very important! Even if it means ordering groceries online and having them delivered or hiring someone to do your housecelaning, DO IT ! (Our local super store delivers for a $6.00 charge. It's a pretty good deal, considering the amount of time I would normally spend in the store. I haven't used their service yet, but am hitting that point now. I did hire housekeepers, however, and that has been the SMARTEST thing I have ever done!)

all the best,

Kathleen

[font=Arial Black][size=2] Kathleen.. I would also like to have th information about the EMAIL weight-loss group for celiacs.. MtLady

#86 zip2play

zip2play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

I have to agree, positive biopsy, means you are positively celiac!

Come here for support, this place is GREAT!

Monica

#87 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

please advise

I didn't realize I had symptoms until I stopped eating gluten. So many "minor" things went away that I realized I had actually been feeling horrible for several years but things had changed so slowly that I had just adapted to everything. I had issues with dermagraphism (kinda like contact hives) and my boss suggested I might be allergic to wheat. Since I'd also recently had other allergic type reactions (throat swelling, face swelling) I went to an allergist and asked about food allergies. He insisted that if I had a problem with any food I would know it. I started doing some internet research on wheat allergies, found celiac.com and decided that I didn't really fit the profile. But then I started reading these postings. So many people have posted about so many things that were similar to experiences I had been having that I stopped eating gluten.

Within 3 days I knew that I would never willingly eat gluten again. I also am overweight and only have minor digestive issues, but the changes in my mood, my ability to think, headaches... all returned to how I used to feel 5 years ago. I consider the changes in my allergy levels, pain levels, dermagraphism, tummy problems etc. all just bonus.

And since I haven't said it yet, I want to thank everyone that posts here. Especially people that rant. For some reason those rants seem to have a lot of unexpected information and evoke a lot of "hey, me too"s.

Thank you
Jeanna
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#88 Guest_SusieQ_*

Guest_SusieQ_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

please advise

#89 Guest_SusieQ_*

Guest_SusieQ_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

I went gluten free last December. My appetite normalized. Then about 17 weeks ago, I reduced my intake to start a weight loss diet. I couldn't get weight off before no matter how little I ate, and I was always starved. Now, I've lost 34 lbs, and it has been relatively easy. I'm not uncomfortably hungry.

I eat a lot of vegetables, salads, choose low fat meats such as fish or chicken, also include some fresh fruits. I have yogurt, popcorn, and even corn chips on occasion. I splurge on peppermints on occasion or coconut macaroons.

I suspected a gluten intolerance for a long time, but just couldn't make myself try the gluten free diet. I didn't want to accept it. Now, I wish I had done it years ago. I wouldn't have lost my health over it and have so far to go to try to get it back.

I read that there was an e-mail group for celiacs trying to lose weight. Anyone know what it is. I'd love to have that kind of support.

Since you tested positive, there really isn't any way of getting around it. However, there is hope since they may be coming up with a pill that will help us eventually. Personally, I'll never go back to eating wheat, even if this pill does come out. Well, o.k., I'll take it once every few months so I could have pizza. I miss pizza. <_<

Dx with fibromyalgia 10 years ago (Probably really due to the gluten, most of my pain is gone now)
Dx Hypothyroid abpit 4 years ago

#90 Shelley Gunn

Shelley Gunn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:42 AM

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have been reading many postings about folks suffering with diarrhea and having difficulty gaining weight. My case is actually the opposite. I have spent many years trying to maintain my weight. I have had terrible constipation that I've been hospitalized for, this was usually followed by weeks of diarrhea. :( I have recently been diagnosed with Celiacs and am slowly trying to learn about the disease and eat gluten free. :blink: Are there any of you out there who are overweight and constipated instead of underweight w/diarrhea?

I am very concerned about how to change my lifestyle to fit in gluten-free eating. It seems like a full time job. I live in a rural area, commute 1 hour each way to work at a fast paced law firm, eat lunch on the run, go to graduate school at night, am a newlywed of 6 months and am 3 months pregnant. :blink: How do you all find the time to shop for these special foods online or at health food stores, make bread from scratch, eat gluten-free lunches, dinners, etc.??? Obviously I want to be completely gluten-free as soon as possibly to help grown a healthy, happy baby in my belly. Help....

Jules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: