Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Other Celiacs That Are Overweight?

• Please log in to reply

95 replies to this topic

#91 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

I went gluten free last December. My appetite normalized. Then about 17 weeks ago, I reduced my intake to start a weight loss diet. I couldn't get weight off before no matter how little I ate, and I was always starved. Now, I've lost 34 lbs, and it has been relatively easy. I'm not uncomfortably hungry.

Congrats!! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 pchick

pchick

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

I've been suffering from constant pain, bloating, feet swelling, heartburn, constipation/diarrea, high blood sugar, high triglycerides, anemia, headaches, dizzyness, black outs, vomiting, constant nausea, swollen tongue, itchy rashes and hives, liver and spleen pain and swelling. I've had so many tests done where they said nothing was wrong with me ~ and all docs have tried to put me on antidepressants and a weight loss plan. All weight loss plans have failed ~ I even gain when I'm not really eating at all.

I was JUST diagnosed last week with Celiacs with a "leaky gut" (?) ... anyway I'm 40 and while I'm sad I can't have cake and cookies anymore... I'm actually thrilled to know what is actually going on! From my research, all these symptoms could disappear if I avoid gluten ~ wow!! It seems so easy. Then I start reading labels, and this diet might be tougher than I thought. BUT, I'm going to do it because I'm so curious what feeling good feels like :)

I'm also happy to find this thread and others who are like me ~ I'm loving reading all this information and support!!

#93 tiredofbeingsickandtired

tiredofbeingsickandtired

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

Welcome, hope that you're on your way to feeling great soon! I use sparkpeople for weight loss and LOVE it! My ID is nahum1_7 on there. I've lost almost 20 pounds since going gluten free June 2, though I also had to give up dairy and soy too. But as long as I don't get glutaminated I 'm feeling so much better! ((((hugs))))) have a great blessed day!

#94 Girlygoodness

Girlygoodness

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

I have the same problem. I have always been overweight regardless of how much I eat. wheat makes me very constipated. I almost never get diarea. May be once every 5 or 6 years if that.

#95 Ann1231

Ann1231

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm overweight and suffer from constipation as well. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and I'm stunned to find out there is such a strong link between celiac and RA! I'm so glad to have "refound" this group after being away from the boards for so long.
hypothyroid
hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)
fibromyalgia
rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)
peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

#96 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

I was diagnosed May 21st. The only way I have lost weight was that I went on the paleo diet 2.5 weeks ago. I lost 5 lbs., but cheated this weekend because I went to a wedding and had some wine. I have been overweight since I was 12 with a few exceptions. Weight Watchers does work. I chose Paleo beacause I would have to eliminate dairy and soy, neither of which I have a problem with. This week I'm having trouble with motivation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: