This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Dropped In To Say Hi;

cybergran10

cybergran10 Newbie
:rolleyes:<_<:lol: Hi All, Just signed up about a few minutes ago. I'm 52, have 4 children and 10 grand children. I was diagnosed in 93, so have had time to perfect the diet. The food is not that bad and it sure beats getting sick every time you eat something that you shouldn't. I had the opposit problem, I was an overweight celiac. My doctor refused to test me for a time because he said I didn't fit the profile. Lately I have been following the low carb diet and have been doing really well, have a few more pounds to lose and of course the tortillas and such is off limits, but all in all it's not bad. Just thought I would introduce myself, and am looking forward to getting to know everyone. I find making most of my own food from scratch helps, it's a lttle time consuming but it is well worth the effort. Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Hi Judy, welcome to the boards. I was diagnosed in Feb "04, so I am still getting used to the diet. I have also found that cooking from scratch helps me. I don't even mind that it takes time, as I am a 39 year-old stay-at-home mom of two teens. They help out quite a bit, so I have more time than other women to enjoy my kitchen. I have been following the Weight Watcher's plan, trying to take off excess pounds. It works quite well for me! I am glad you found a plan that works for you!

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Judy,

Welcome to the board! I am a 32 year old mother of three (ages 5, 8 & 9) and all four of us are gluten intolerant. I was diagnosed last November, my children last March. I am also an overweight Celiac and was refused testing for almost two years because of it. I have lost 8 lbs since starting the gluten-free diet. I am also dairy free. I have not started any weight loss diets, since it still feels like I am already having to deprive myself of foods I like. After I get totally grounded in the gluten-free lifestyle, then I will try harder to loose the excess weight. Until then I am just accepting myself the way I am. I am just so glad to know that I am not the hypochondriac that some doctors made me feel like I was. There is a real reason why I felt sick since I was 4 years old!! I wish I had found out sooner, but at least I know now, and my children won't have to go through what I did.

How are your children and grandchildren? Are any of them showing symptoms, or have been diagnosed? Just curious to see how the genetic thing affected your family.

God bless,

Mariann

Guest LisaB

Judy,

Hello and welcome! Just a question, since you are also a Celiac that put on weight, how did your weight change once going gluten-free? Or did it? If so, how long did it take?

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hello, Judy! You should have lots of useful information for us! I'm Kristina and I am rather young and have been on the diet for just over a year now, yay!

kalo Rookie

Welcome to Judy. I am currently waiting for test results from enterolabs to comfirm that I have this. My health history goes back to birth and I was 55 last Thursday. I have a diagnosis of chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia/sinus/allergy/low thyroid and IBS. All of those may have been from undiagnosed celiac disease. Don't know about the rest of my family but I suspect it may be present in some of them (brothers, maybe my kids) but it's up to them to get tested. My father had chron's but now I wonder if he had this and we didn't know it. I've been gluten free for almost a month at my doctors suggestion (I never would have thought of this)with some mistakes I'm sure. I lost 40 lbs since going on Armour thyroid last August (the only benefit I saw) but lost another 5 lbs since going gluten-free. Not bad as long as I don't keep losing. I'm down to an ideal weight now. Hugs, Carol B

Guest NitaB

Welcome Judy!

I'm new to the gluten-free lifestyle, only 3 weeks! I feel so much better when I make no mistakes, but I'm sure I still will for awhile! I am 56, 2 daughters, and 4 grandkids. I suspect one brother to be Celiac, also, as he has the same type of digestive disorders as I. The oldest brother died of colon cancer, and I wonder if he was an asymptomatic Celiac, causing the cancer. We'll never know. And one daughter may be, as she has Lupus. But, I suppose until she has signs, she won't get tested.

I probably have has celiac disease for over 20 years, as have been diagnosed with Colitis and then IBS. My first blood test 8 years ago was neg. so I didn't have a biopsy until last month. Another bloot test was neg. again since then! But, I do feel better when gluten-free, so sure I'm on the right track! I also have scars on my knees and elbows, indicating DH, but never had them biopsied.

Join us when you can! I'm sure you'll be a big help here!

Nita

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cybergran10 Newbie

Hi Everyone, Thanks t everyone who answered my post. I can understand how over whelming it can be when you are finally diagnosed. On one hand it is so wonderful to finally define that you are not a hypochondriac that something is definitely wrong, but on the other hand there is an entire food group that is off limits. I myself went thru a stage where I was angry so I'd end up sabotaging myself. I'd get my condition under control then eat something that was guranteed to do me damage. I finally made the descision to get my attitude under control and I found substitutes for my favorites.I have been heavy for awhile and going gluten free didn't do anything to help. So far I have lost 35 pounds on the low carb with about 25 to go. Am thinking of adopting Carbohydrate Addicts Diet for maintenance as I miss my goodies and this allows you a reward meal as long as you stay lc for the rest of the day. You just have to eat it within an hour. Sounds screwey, but I guess it works. I'm not at maintenance level yet, so we'll see. Do any of you have a favorite vendor that you use? I had been using Miss Robens And Gluten Free Pantry. But my grocery store has gotten the flours and everything so when I get to the point where I can indulge again maybe I won't have to do mail order. My 2 youngest grandbabies I think are gluten intolerant. Both Daughters are breast feeding and have weaned themselves off gluten and the babies are thriving finally. So it's good that my daughters took responsibility to do something about it. Hope weveryone hasa good day, Cybergran10

Archived