22 replies to this topic

#16 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:56 AM

Loved all your replies, I don't feel so alone.

I don't mean to tell tales, but I have a cute one on my mums behalf.

As we live on different islands, I get the usual birthday, christmas cards etc. I don't know what it is, but she will address my mail as Mrs Katherine Whoever, but on the card itself, she will call me Catherine! I can not understand this, but she gets it right half the time. Could it be because english is her second language? But then she named me. I am picking that Catherine in Yugoslav is predominantly spelled with a K. But it so cute and endearing, and so different. How many mums can't spell their childrens names correctly?

I guess i have inherited a silly gene from my mum.

Cathy

During the fall to summer season I teach a class, and you wouldn't believe how many parents I get who forget how to spell their kids names, and it's not just the dad's either, lots of mom's forget.

I have a kid, I still don't know if his name is D'wayne, Dewayne, or Dawane it's different on his shot record, his enrollment form, his b'day certificate and his social security card.

I know another little girl named Katharine who can't spell her name, she just can spell Katy and she is 9!! My 4 year old is named Kathryn and she can spell it, but I guess that's easier.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:15 AM

I can't think of any for myself, although there are plenty, but there's a funny one from my mom.

On my 17th birthday, my mom forgot in true 16 candles fashion (not totally forgot, since we had a party at the weekend, but forgot to mention on the day). It's January and we're in Syracuse (170" of snow a year, anyone?). I used to wake my mom up to take me to school, and on that day, and only that day, I went to wake her up and she goes "f**k". Yay <_< . So she takes me to school and sends me on my merry way without saying happy birthday. By the time school was out, a big lake effect storm had come in and it was snowing pretty hard. I really didn't want to walk home (1.5 mi uphill) so I called my mom to come pick me up. She said, "I'm busy repapering Grandma's bathroom, take the bus" Well, by the time I got off the phone with her, the bus had left. So I had to walk home, in a huge storm, on my birthday. I was so livid when I got home, jeans soaked to my knees, hands frozen, an inch of snow in my hair. I went to my grandma's bathroom where my mom was working and said, "DON'T YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ME???" She was like, "Oh! Happy birthday!!" :lol:

It's still a huge family joke.

And for the next two years, she called a day early thinking she had forgotten to call! :lol:
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#18 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

Yesterday......digging through my purse so I could find my keys to let myself in the house......digging more....taking things out........finally decide they're in my bf's car, so I turn to go back, all annoyed with myself, so I turn in a "huffy" way, and hear the lovely jingle of my keychain dangling off of my pinky.

He realized they were there a few seconds before I did, though, and he was looking right at me, so I guess I'm not the only one.

I'm experiencing one myself - I've LOST my work keys!!!!! I think I got glutened this past weekend, had the runs like crazy Sun a.m. (couldn't go to church) and have been dead tired fatigued since. Yesterday afternoon I barely made it through work; bought stamps, mailed one letter, came home and crashed. This a.m. NO WORK KEYS! :o I have no friggin' clue where they are!!!! Not in my purse, not in my office, not in my car, not where I bought the stamps, not in the house ---- I'm going crazy (or -ier as the case may be) I am a blank as to yesterday and last night. All I know is the two things I did afterwork and then coming home and sleeping for an hour. (at least I can blame the celiac) :( :( :(
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#19 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

You didn't post your keys did you?

The more I read, the more I realise that blaming lapses in thinking or sanity, can be blamed on celiac.

Cathy

#20 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:18 AM

Once on a camping/cycling holiday in France before I lived here I stopped with my ex in Saumur in the Loire valley. We had a wonderful day and got back to the car in order to drive to the next campsite and decided to rearrange the locks and things which held the bikes to the cycle rack. We had partially used the locks as extra tie-downs to hold the bikes firmly and when travelling short distances we just put the bokies on but if going further/faster in the car we would partially dismantle the bikes to make for less resistance.

Well I opened the lock which was under pressure and the keys flew off like they were launched from a cannon... they keyring came apart and the keys scattered....
We spent 2 hours looking frantically for the car key. We had people helping and we looked everywhere including the roof of the winnibago parked nearby and this guy in black who was part of the famous horse guard helped and everything... We looked under cars, over cars and found all the keys except the car key which was locked, deadlockled and immobilised....

After a good 2 hours and 10 people all helping I looked in my pocket and found... the car key... I'd obviously picked it up first and stuck it in my pocket.... I went a rather deep shade of red
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#21 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:14 AM

Oh, speaking of keys--brings to mind another one:

Many years ago, I was riding down the elevator in the building I lived in. I dropped my keys, which took once bounce (who knew keys bounced), and then went right down the crack where the elevator shaft is. I had to call the building manager who had to send out an elevator guy to go down into the shaft and get my keys out.

#22 corinne

corinne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

I lost my lab notebook this week and it has three years of work recorded in it. I have looked EVERYWHERE for it. I am finishing up my job in two months and my boss wants to go through it. Of course I haven't made copies of it. So I'm in a total panic. So far I have managed to evade my boss. I'm hoping I can find my book before my boss finds me. :blink:

#23 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

I went to Starbucks with some of my kids and used my MasterCard to pay for the drinks. My son went next door to get his haircut so I gave him my MasterCard, immediately stood up to go buy a couple more kids drinks. I went to get my MasterCard and told the clerk that I must not have gotten it back a few minutes before when I bought drinks. We were all looking around for it when I realized I had given it to my son.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: