This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cereal Recommendations?

katrinamaria

katrinamaria Explorer

hi!!

i used to live on cereal before going gluten free. so far i haven't had much luck with gluten-free ones that taste very good! :) i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?? i liked anything from cap n crunch to kashi cereals....so any advice would be great!

thanks!!

kms

p.s. malt flavoring sucks!!! i hate when i'm reading down the list of ingredients, getting excited...then you hit it: malt flavoring. it ruins all the cereals!:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

I like Perky-Os and also fruity and cocoa pebbles are gluten-free

AndreaB Contributor

I'm not a teenager. Just noticed what section this was. My family likes the Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice with Mixed Berries. Also Envirokidz cereals. I believe Panda Puffs is gluten free (it does have soy oil I think). They also have Amazon Flakes. There is also Buckwheat Maple Flakes from Arrowhead? I think. A lot of the flake cereal taste better with fruit. Hope this helps.

Hope I'm forgiven for posting on this thread. :unsure:

lorka150 Collaborator

Every night I make a mixture of Panda Puffs and fruit sweetened (not honey) Corn Flakes (both Nature's Path), as well as Quinoa Puffs (Go Go QUinoa).

Gorilla Munch, I hear, tastes like Cap'n Crunch (never had Cap'n Crunch, so I don;'t know).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChloeB
hi!!

i used to live on cereal before going gluten free. so far i haven't had much luck with gluten-free ones that taste very good! :) i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?? i liked anything from cap n crunch to kashi cereals....so any advice would be great!

thanks!!

kms

p.s. malt flavoring sucks!!! i hate when i'm reading down the list of ingredients, getting excited...then you hit it: malt flavoring. it ruins all the cereals!:)

I just found out that cocoa puffs are gluten free yesterday so thats the only cereal I know is gluten free! if I here of any more I'll let you know!

chloe

Guhlia Rising Star

Neopets Islandberry crunch is supposedly gluten free. I like a lot of the specialty cereals like Perky-O's and Nutty Rice cereal. You can find a ton of options online at shopbydiet.com. Their prices are reasonable too.

jnclelland Contributor
Gorilla Munch, I hear, tastes like Cap'n Crunch (never had Cap'n Crunch, so I don;'t know).

It's been too long since I had Cap'n Crunch to say for sure, but Gorilla Munch is quite tasty! :)

Jeanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EmilyLMT Rookie

Barabara's Puffins are fabulous. Gorilla Munch is good and the Panda Puffs are also excellent, but my vote is the Puffins.

jnclelland Contributor
Barabara's Puffins are fabulous. Gorilla Munch is good and the Panda Puffs are also excellent, but my vote is the Puffins.

Careful with Puffins - only the Honey Rice variety are gluten-free. (And I think some have reported CC issues with those.)

Jeanne

Girl Ninja Newbie

New boxes of Trix are gluten free, but read the label and check the date. They haven't been gluten-free for that long.

debmidge Rising Star

Glutino makes a good almond cheerios gluten-free

key Contributor

Nature's Path fruit sweetened cornflakes. I like these the best out of everything I have tried. Haven't tried the Perky'Os, because I haven't seen them.

Monica

katrinamaria Explorer

hey!

thanks for all the suggestions everybody! :) i tried the gorilla munch...very tasty! panada puffs were pretty good also. i tried one (i can't remember the name because i threw it directly in the garbage!) that wasn't very good, but i bought it because it was a healthier one and higher in fiber and stuff. any ideas for one like this?? is quinoa or whatever like that?? i'm still looking for a kashi go-lean type replacement :)

thanks! have a good weekend!

kms

odcdinah Contributor

The Gorilla Munch is good - tastes like Kix cereal i ate as a kid - REALLY crunchy though!

lightningfoot speakin words Contributor

I found the miracle of all cerials if you like peanut butter. I used to live on cereal, too and I found that I love with my life peanut butter panda puffs. I have gone through like 7 boxes this month and I am not kiddin! I also like enjoy life cinnamin (sorry I was never much of a speller) granola with bananas and yoplat banana creme yogurt. lemon burst is good to. HIH!! :lol:

Lister Rising Star

gorilla munch is great, tastles like a little more sugard version if kicks, really good with bananas, and then there is a peanut butter version as well both are gluten-free but they do contain soy (and cant promiss against cc from milk and nuts) but i have never had a problem with them eat it every morning with almond milk

aball2006 Newbie

i have literally been living off of fruity and cocoa pebbles for nearly 5 years, i just bought my first box of the neopets and it was AMAZING!!!! i really cant stand the organic brands like the gorilla and panda ones, but i think its cause i burnt myself out on those

Ashley Enthusiast

I know one thing. Don't try Cer-os. Look like Cheerios. Don't taste like 'em :wacko: Nasty!

• 2 weeks later...
glutengladiator Newbie

This threads a little old but I just got hooked on a cereal so I thought I'd share. I used to be a big Cheerios fan and would eat bowl after bowl. When I got Celiac Disease I couldn't find a cereal that was plain, but not nasty. Everything was either too sugary for my tastes or just plain gross. However, recently I came across a box of Rice Crunch-Ems Cereal, made by Health Valley. And I must say it really fills Cheerios shoes well. Not quite as many Vitamins and minerals but the taste is good and you can always suppliment it with fruit and juice.

rachael128 Newbie

Koala Crisp by Envirokids is really good, they remind me a little of Chocolate Rice Krispies you can usually find them at Whole Foods or at My Organic Market (MOM's). Hope you like them.

Kassie Apprentice

theres this new cereal that has come out (not a specialty) that is supposed to be gluten free its called dora the explorer cinnamon stars, although i have not seen yet at any stores here. and i too hate malt flavoring! why do they even have to add it there would be a bigger selection of cereals if they didnt add it

olalisa Contributor

Dora's Cinnamon Stars are REALLY good. My other stand-by is cocoa puffs. Enjoy!

glen4cindy Apprentice

I really goofed up and used crushed Kelloggs Corn Flakes as a coating for Oven Fried Chicken only to realize that they contain malt flavoring. I am really sick right now. I made the chicken Thursday, ate 2 leg quarters that day, 2 on Friday and 2 more on Saturday. So, I am really in a mess right now.

I do have this question though. I found the following statement on www.kelloggs.co.uk/health/ntrn_ntrn_gluten_free.asp

Please note that only the cereals listed above have been removed - although Kellogg Rice Krispies, Ricicles and Coco Pops contain malt flavouring they fall well within the international Codex Standard of 200ppm.

Now, I realize that this is a UK site, which I didn't intend to search, but, was looking at a google search, so the information here may be only for UK products and not US products. But, are Rice Krispies actually OK? I don't know how much malt Corn Flakes have, but, I am miserable right now and will NOT be using Corn Flakes ever again!

Thanks for any info.

chris hudson Newbie

ohhh....kashi crunch....that is my favorite. My husband eats it 3 times daily in front of me. I have tried envirolife????? granola cceral. Its not kashi, but its alright. Most of the time I mix Perky's Nutty flax it has 7 fiber and 6 protein 5 fat :angry: with panda puffs. Perky isn't so tasty.

eKatherine Rookie
I really goofed up and used crushed Kelloggs Corn Flakes as a coating for Oven Fried Chicken only to realize that they contain malt flavoring. I am really sick right now. I made the chicken Thursday, ate 2 leg quarters that day, 2 on Friday and 2 more on Saturday. So, I am really in a mess right now.

I do have this question though. I found the following statement on www.kelloggs.co.uk/health/ntrn_ntrn_gluten_free.asp

Please note that only the cereals listed above have been removed - although Kellogg Rice Krispies, Ricicles and Coco Pops contain malt flavouring they fall well within the international Codex Standard of 200ppm.

Now, I realize that this is a UK site, which I didn't intend to search, but, was looking at a google search, so the information here may be only for UK products and not US products. But, are Rice Krispies actually OK? I don't know how much malt Corn Flakes have, but, I am miserable right now and will NOT be using Corn Flakes ever again!

Thanks for any info.

Erewhon makes a safe crisp rice cereal and Nature's Path makes a couple of varieties of safe cornflakes.

I am under the impression that the Codex requirements are more for the convenience of the manufacturers than the safety and health of celiacs.

Archived