This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cereal Recommendations?

katrinamaria

penguin Community Regular

I think the recipes are actually a bit different in the UK so the same rules don't apply.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chris hudson Newbie

I called kellog's this morning...they said the only food that they considered gluten free were their fruit snakes, and waffle syrup..........corn flakes, rice ect......have gluten, listed under malt flavoring.

glen4cindy Apprentice
I called kellog's this morning...they said the only food that they considered gluten free were their fruit snakes, and waffle syrup..........corn flakes, rice ect......have gluten, listed under malt flavoring.

Thanks! I don't know how I missed malt flavoring in the list on Corn Flakes because there are only like 4 or 5 things listed. What is even more interesting is the big bold type that usually lists allergens says:

"Corn used in this product contains traces of soybeans"

No mention of other allergens! I thought they were supposed to list allergens, and most of the Kelloggs products I have looked at do. Does the Codex thing allow them to now mention the malt flavoring?

As far as other cereals, Lucky Charms are the bomb! BUT!!!!!! Schnuck's sells a "knock off" called Magic Stars that I read the ingredients list on because they are the Schnuck's brand of Lucky Charms. I had a good size bowl of those Friday night after having eaten 2 pieces of my "poison chicken"! I later re-read the list and found WHEAT STARCH! No wonder I feel like I am going to die right now!

I think NOW would be a great time to go to my Dr. and have the tests run for Celiac, because after having been exposed like I have been over the last week, I should be full of antibodies. Would I need my Dr. to order the tests from Entrolab or let him choose who to order from? I am wanting as much as possible to have this testing paid for by my insurance.

Thanks!

tarnalberry Community Regular
Thanks! I don't know how I missed malt flavoring in the list on Corn Flakes because there are only like 4 or 5 things listed. What is even more interesting is the big bold type that usually lists allergens says:

"Corn used in this product contains traces of soybeans"

No mention of other allergens! I thought they were supposed to list allergens, and most of the Kelloggs products I have looked at do. Does the Codex thing allow them to now mention the malt flavoring?

The allergen labeling law only requires them to list the eight most common food allergies - wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, milk, shellfish, fish, eggs, and soy. Barley is not on the list, and doesn't have to be labeled.

majicbunnies Contributor

Puffins made me sick. I don't remember what kind I got, but I checked that it was gluten free.

• 2 weeks later...
amber-rose Contributor

Enviro-Kids cereal is gluten free and healthy too! You can find it at Albertsons or Safeway. Maybe Nugget too.

glen4cindy Apprentice

Thanks for all the great responses.

My electricity went off on the 19th after a bad storm came on shortly late on the 20th, knocked out again on Friday morning and just came back this evening, so I have been out of the loop for awhile.

I want to add one more thing. I am really sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I did not realize that this was Teenagers Only when I posted the first time. I had performed a search on Corn Flakes and when this thread came up, I posted. I hope this did not cause great difficulty.

Thanks again.

Glen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I'm not a teenager, so I'm not sure how I ended up here... but I do have small children, and a child like love of cereal. So, I thought I'd comment.

I LOVE Envirokids Koala Crunch. It's chocolately - and turns the milk chocolaty!! And, it makes great "rice krispy-like" treats! =)

• 1 month later...
Speedy Newbie

nesquik cereal is gluten-free once i foudn that out oh man i went nuts over it..mm the chocolateyness

Guest ~jules~

Ahhhhh.....I miss my honey bunches of oats with almonds every morning... :( Now I am working on a box of gorilla munch, its ok. Has anyone noticed how they get sorta gummy if you let them sit in the milk then take a big bite? huh, well maybe its just me....I also have this glutino stuff thats like honey nut cheerios, I don't like them at all. I'm happy to hear about the pebbles, I'm getting some tommorrow.... :D

myserenityprayer Explorer
I know one thing. Don't try Cer-os. Look like Cheerios. Don't taste like 'em :wacko: Nasty!

ugh....totally agree. the texture, the taste, everything. yuck!

If you are looking for a cereal with high protein, more fiber and less sugar than Perky's Nutty Flax is for you. I think its wonderful. I usually have it with a few walnuts and sliced bananas. If you close your eyes its like eating banana nut bread with milk. YUM!

3/4 cup serving...

calories=230

fat=5g

fiber=7g

sugar=4g

protein=6

VydorScope Proficient
nesquik cereal is gluten-free once i foudn that out oh man i went nuts over it..mm the chocolateyness

I do not see anything on thier website ( Open Original Shared Link ) mentioning that ceral? Where did you see it?

• 5 months later...
GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Careful with Puffins - only the Honey Rice variety are gluten-free. (And I think some have reported CC issues with those.)

Jeanne

Old thread, but I found it with google? I just ate a big bowl of the Cinnamen flavor puffins. Damn. Is it the oat flour?

Damn.

G

Archived