4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaycee

Kaycee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:48 AM

I am fast approaching the age of menopause, and I work with a few woman who forever complain about their hot flushes, sleepless nights etc.
What I want to know, is that by being gluten free has this made a difference going through menopause, and if so, in what way?
I did hear a while back, that white flour and white sugar were both bad for menopausal symptoms, so does this mean we will have only half as bad problems?
I am probably in the wrong forum for this, as looking at the photos posted a lot of you are quite young, and wouldn't even be thinking about this.
As another thought, I think being gluten free has made me more tolerable around the time of my period, and I don't have the cravings for chocolate like I used to.

Thanks for reading this.

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:17 AM

I'm only six years behind you ... I started having hot flashes and night sweats at 39. They have almost completely gone away now, yet I was always cold when I was younger and now I'm always warm. I had a night sweat the other night, but that doesn't happen very often.

I have noticed hormonal changes since going gluten-free. I take my temperature every morning for natural family planning, my temperatures are more consistent and easier to interpret than they used to be. The other symptoms we check are also more normal. Also, I think I'm going through a second puberty! I had gotten almost completely flat chested ... I'm not how I used to be, but certainly better than I was!

Carla
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for that, that sounds encouraging.

I actually got my period this morning, and didn't realise it was around the corner, even though they are getting later and later.

I feel so much more balanced, emotionally. well mostly, unless I get glutened, then it is quite emotional.

I remember a few years back, I used to what I thought get hot flashes after eating my sandwiches, or what ever for lunch. I just put that down to getting old and approaching menopause. But the minute I went on a diet and controlled what I was eating, which inadvertanly meant a lot less gluten, I didn't seem to get the hot flashes, so that idea went out the door. This was all before I was diagnosed. Needless to say, by dieting my problems with gluten had abated quite a bit, but whenever I overate, as in chocolate or something very decadent I would be regretting it on the loo.

Maybe gluten can make your cheeks get hot.

Cathy

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Well, at 50 I am a good age to answer this. I started going through menopause at around 44. I can't say that my mood swings were from menopause or because I was sick all the time. Being sick makes you very moody. I did have hot flashes, my last hot flash was Christmas 02--my friends and I were having a party and I had the worst hot flash ever, but it was the last one. I had not had a cycle for over 2 years and then one morning, it started--lasted about 1 week and that was over 16 months ago and not one since--no hot flashes either. I am on the uphill side :rolleyes: . Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

I haven't reached that point yet...I'm 39. My mother had a horrible time so I hope that things do get better on a gluten free diet. I believe my mother still has hot flashes. She's been going through menopause for about 15 years now. I believe that is the only symptom she has left. I had thought I was starting menopause last year, early, after some off months. Turned out I was expecting. I've read that family age and patterns tend to be pretty much the same. Anyone else have a take on this.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: