25 replies to this topic

#1 Katie O'Rourke

Katie O'Rourke

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hiya. Im actually 22, and from the UK, but havent been diagnosed very long and thought you guys may be able to help me out. Do you know if it is safe to kiss guys who have eaten gluten? And if not, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you can kiss them? Please help, thanks x :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

Hiya. Im actually 22, and from the UK, but havent been diagnosed very long and thought you guys may be able to help me out. Do you know if it is safe to kiss guys who have eaten gluten? And if not, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you can kiss them? Please help, thanks x :)

Have a friend take a big bite out of a loaf of bread, chew it, and swallow. Then go look at their mouth closely. Look around the lips - you'll likely see a few crumbs. Look inside the mouth and around the teeth - you'll likely see some residue.

Immediately after eating gluten - the consensus seems to be that it's really not a great idea.

There's no scientifically studied amount of time to wait before kissing them. I'd advise asking them to brush their teeth. Baring that, I find waiting an hour or two, assuming that includes drinking non-gluten beverages to help rinse out the mouth, is fine for me.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Katie O'Rourke

Katie O'Rourke

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:15 AM

Have a friend take a big bite out of a loaf of bread, chew it, and swallow. Then go look at their mouth closely. Look around the lips - you'll likely see a few crumbs. Look inside the mouth and around the teeth - you'll likely see some residue.

Immediately after eating gluten - the consensus seems to be that it's really not a great idea.

There's no scientifically studied amount of time to wait before kissing them. I'd advise asking them to brush their teeth. Baring that, I find waiting an hour or two, assuming that includes drinking non-gluten beverages to help rinse out the mouth, is fine for me.

Cool, thanks very much for you help :)

#4 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:16 AM

I kiss much less now and nothing deep. Personal choice. I do kiss but never while he is drinking or eating somethink I can't have but if he hasn't eaten or drank anything I can't have for a while and has drank plain water or tea, then I will kiss him lightly. He lives with it, I live with it. He knows how sick I can get and sometimes we just can't figure out how--maybe it is that, maybe it isn't but I don't like to take those chances. My hubby understands.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#5 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

When that whole thing about the girl with the peanut allergy died was on the news (you probably didn't hear in the UK), it was determined by the coroner that she did not die of kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich 9 hours earlier. They said in the article that I read that they have actually tested, if you can believe that, and found that after 1 hour no allergens remain in the mouth. Maybe that's because the mouth always has a new supply of saliva. At any rate, according to the article, an hour is safe. My husband eats gluten-free when we're on a date ... but at other times, I make him brush his teeth. I'm not giving up kissing, too, giving up gluten was hard enough!! :D
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

I have been glutened by kissing so I am one to say its not a good idea right away. I like the guy to drink something I know is gluten free a little bit before kissing me to get some of that residue down. Its a personal choice though.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:05 AM

One time my hubby came home from out of town and gave me a big smooch. I jumped back, startled and said, "What did you eat!" This was very soon after going gluten-free, so he had just forgotten and kissed me after eating a sub. I washed out my mouth in the kitchen sink, then went upstairs and brushed it really, really good. I ended up being okay. I definately could taste the bread, so I would be sure not to kiss right after someone ate gluten.

My husband is clean-shaven, what do those of you who have boyfriends/husbands who have facial hair do about possible crumbs?
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

My husband is clean-shaven, what do those of you who have boyfriends/husbands who have facial hair do about possible crumbs?

My husband has a beard and mustache--he's very neat, and it's never been a problem ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

One time my hubby came home from out of town and gave me a big smooch. I jumped back, startled and said, "What did you eat!" This was very soon after going gluten-free, so he had just forgotten and kissed me after eating a sub. I washed out my mouth in the kitchen sink, then went upstairs and brushed it really, really good. I ended up being okay. I definately could taste the bread, so I would be sure not to kiss right after someone ate gluten.

hubby had a full beard, and he would keep it pretty clean, he recently shaved for summer though, so I don't know. He is pretty good about brushing his teeth after eating anyway, so I haven't had to worry about that.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

#10 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hubby has a mustach and I always tell him when it has food - he keeps it clean now and keeps threatening to shave it off for the summer. One of these days I will come home from work after he has taken an afternoon off and it will be gone!!! I just don't think he will look right without it.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#11 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

I think of it as an extended safe sex approach. My hubby and I always pause before kissing thinking "safe?"
I'll wait until he goes and brushes his teeth before I kiss him if he's eaten anything with gluten. Or drank out of his water bottles that he refills but doesn't wash - CC!!!!
It's SUCH a pain, but whatcha gonna do?
Annette
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

I think of it as an extended safe sex approach. My hubby and I always pause before kissing thinking "safe?"
I'll wait until he goes and brushes his teeth before I kiss him if he's eaten anything with gluten. Or drank out of his water bottles that he refills but doesn't wash - CC!!!!
It's SUCH a pain, but whatcha gonna do?
Annette

Yep, I won't share a beverage with him if he has any after eating something with gluten. I'm sure coworkers think it's weird when I go up to his desk, and ask "Is your gatorade safe?" with a hand motion of going to pick it up, but backwash exists, and his breakfast is a granola bar!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

On the drink note, I usually bring water with me everywhere and my friends have learned that they have to "birdie" drink (pouring without letting the water bottle touch them) if they want some. I have only had to mention it once and it's worked out well.

#14 watchthestars

watchthestars

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

funny, i was just talking about this with my boyfriend today. while i drink new grist, he'll drink normal beer and then *uh oh*...gluten kiss! luckily i'm not sensitive enough to react to this. like others have said, kissing a glutenated mouth is a personal choice. it depends on how sensitive you are and if you are willing to take the risk.
Elaine

unofficial celiac. i'm not up for the gluten challenge.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain --Maya Angelou

#15 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:29 AM

I've gotten glutened from kissing hubby before... I tend to not kiss as much now simply from fear of cc... and I panic when he wants to share a beverage especially if he's been eating lots of gluten. I do think he minds, but too bad, I can't afford to get sick from kissing. If he's brushed his teeth and used mouthwash then I relax more, but for the most part, no kissing or closed mouth kissing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: