20 replies to this topic

#1 barilla

barilla

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:57 AM

I have had cold hand and feet almost my whole life,, or as long as I can remember.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this was related to celiacs disease. Does anyone else have cold hands and feet almost all the time?

They sometimes get clammy too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

My feet get very clammy and cold. In the wintertime, I spray them with antiperspirant to stop them from sweating so much. My hands get cold, but I put them in pockets or under my arms.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 powderprincess

powderprincess

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hi Barilla

I am interested to hear responses to this as well. I've been dx with Raynaud's so I get cold waaay too easily and my body then over reacts.

ok, I am about to get very convoluted: I found out about Raynaud's and went to the Dr. to ask about it. I learned that Raynaud's can be related to Lupus so I had to be tested for that. The Dr. gave me meds to use only if I was doing something in the cold (or for use in winter daily) and tested me for Lupus. She thought I had it after taking blood, but then in follow up tests I did not test positive for it. Lupus can be related to celiac disease since it is another autoimmune disease. So. . somehow I think they could be related, but I have no idea exactly.

I'll be going to the dr tomorrow and friday so I'll ask and report back :)
Visit to the er 4.1.06
blood test, positive for celiac disease 4.6.06
Endoscopy/biopsy/last day of gluten 5.25.06
Misdiagnosed for 2 decades. :( Feeling great now :)

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:41 AM

How is your thyroid? Low thryoid can cause that.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 barilla

barilla

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

My feet get very clammy and cold. In the wintertime, I spray them with antiperspirant to stop them from sweating so much. My hands get cold, but I put them in pockets or under my arms.

Hi! That's a good idea. I'll have to try that. My grandmother use to always say, cold hands means that you have a warm heart! :)

#6 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

I've always had cold hands and feet too, but wonder if it gets worse when I'm anemic. I'm anemic right now pretty badly, and I'm all over cold, even though it might be 70 outside. Okay, we're not really having spring this year, so it is not 70 outside, it's 60. But still....

maybe anemia?

#7 barilla

barilla

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:50 AM

How is your thyroid? Low thryoid can cause that.

Maybe I should ask my doctor to test me for Lupus and Raynaud and anemia.

When they checked my levels for celiac's disease (a few weeks ago) I noticed that they checked my thyroid. They said that came back fine. I wonder if it's something they should keep checking.

I'm the same way,, somedays when it is beautiful outside,, I am so cold. It's like my body won't warm up.

#8 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:22 AM

I was just coming here to ask or search about being cold all the time. It is in the 70s here today and I am freezing still......sweatshirt over a shirt and capri pants. I am not underweight, thryroid is fine. I am getting tired of dressing like it is still winter! LOL!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#9 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

I also have Raynoids - cold hands and feet (but the rest of me overheats a lot). I have an extremely hard time when I go skiing b/c no matter how many socks and gloves I wear, my toes and fingers go numb immediately. I have to go inside after every run to warm them up. Pain in the butt! I also have night sweats - does anyone else have those?

#10 powderprincess

powderprincess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:12 AM

I also have Raynoids - cold hands and feet (but the rest of me overheats a lot). I have an extremely hard time when I go skiing b/c no matter how many socks and gloves I wear, my toes and fingers go numb immediately. I have to go inside after every run to warm them up. Pain in the butt! I also have night sweats - does anyone else have those?

That sounds just like my alpine experiences. The medication I would take before a snowboard day helped a lot. I forget what it is called, otherwise I would let you know!

I do get extra hot easily, too. I have a small window of comfort as far as temps. go.

p.s. I am small but not underweight, and thyroid is ok according to recent blood test for celiac.
Visit to the er 4.1.06
blood test, positive for celiac disease 4.6.06
Endoscopy/biopsy/last day of gluten 5.25.06
Misdiagnosed for 2 decades. :( Feeling great now :)

#11 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

I have this too! My hands and feet and lips and nose get really really cold, like ice. My fingernails and toenails will turn blue. Also my core body temp will feel like it just bottoms out, I will be freezing. Sometimes so freezing that my body will shake and my teeth chatter. (do teeth chatter?) Then I will have hot flashes and sweating and a flush face, totally the opposite end of the spectrum.

I always thought the cold was connected to circulation, or lack of.

#12 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

Talking about cold noses made me laugh. When my husband and I were dating and he was driving somewhere, I leaned over and put my nose in his cheek and stayed there. He asked what I was doing, and I answered that I was warming my nose! To this day, I get a cold nose and warm it that way!

It's usually REALLY cold out when that happens, so I don't think it's related to celiac for me.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#13 utdan

utdan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

Yes, I have had cold hands and feet all my life too.
Dan

Negative blood work
gluten-free since 3/5/06

#14 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

cold hands aren't a celiac trait, they're a female trait B)... my ex's hands could steal the warmth out of a fridge..

I actually have Raynaud's as well but I'm hot almost all the time, maybe even moreso since going gluten-free.. I do wear gloves on my hands when it's cold out as a preventative measure but haven't had many problems with the Raynaud's since I was in high school... a few fingers used to lose all their color and become numb even when it wasn't that cold outside... I'd just run them under hot water for a couple minutes and they'd be alright.. there was even one time I remember from high school sitting at a computer and my fingers going numb for no reason.. but it's been a number of years since I've had this really happen..
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

#15 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:09 AM

I also have Raynauld's and at times get very hot feeling everywhere but hands and feet are ice cold. My hubby took to calling me his little ice cube!!!!! Now isn't that flattering and it also leaves a hugh space for off color comments....
thyroid also plays into this factor.

mamaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: