6 replies to this topic

#1 catfish

catfish

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:03 AM

Is malt flavoring a source of gluten? I want to try a gluten-free diet to see if I notice improvement, but when reading the ingredients on Corn Flakes this morning I noticed "malt flavoring". Would this thwart my efforts if I eat it? I'm new to gluten-free so I am just learning what may or may not be a source of it! Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:33 AM

Malt flavoring can be made from a variety of sources but in cereal it's always made from barley, which means it is not gluten-free. Corn Flakes, Crispix, Rice Krispies and similar cereals all have gluten from malt.

Any time you see malt or malt flavoring you have to assume it comes from barley. However, you can call the manufacturer and check. I can't remember the product now but I just heard about one that the manufacturer was saying was gluten-free even though it had malt flavoring. In this case, it was malted corn.

richard

#3 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:40 AM

Argh, this is going to be harder than I thought! Does anyone know of a gluten-free corn flakes brand? That's my favorite breakfast cereal, and it's oh-so-close but darn that malt flavoring! :huh:

#4 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:57 AM

Here is a link that list all Forbidden - Foods and Ingredients Not Safe for a Gluten-Free Diet

Its a good idea to print it out and take it to the store with you while shopping!

#5 billfl

billfl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

Since being gluten-free for the past 4 months, and after much searching, I finally found "Nature's Path" organic corn flakes. They are marked as gluten-free on the box, and I have not had any problem with them. The "Honey'd" variety is about $2.00 a box cheaper (cheaper is good) than the regular brand, and they don't taste overly sweet. I have only seen this brand at an Organic style grocery.

#6 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

Nature's Path has gluten-free cornflakes. Envirokidz offers a frosted amazon flakes which are like well...frosted flakes! ha They are both pretty tasty!! You can find them online at the gluten free pantry website : Nature's Path Cornflakes Envirokidz Amazon Frosted Flakes

Hope that helps!!
-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:23 AM

I actually prefer Nature's Path Cornflakes to regular corn flakes. The flakes are a bit thicker and have more bite, I think. I also like Nature's Path's Mesa Sunrise (and it comes in the "economy" bulk bag).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: