This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Want To Throw In The Towel?

NiqueP

NiqueP Rookie

Before anyone else says it , I know it's better to be healthy than thin. That being said, the weight gain after going gluten-free has me wondering in (fleeting moments)if it's all worth it. Watching the lbs. go up is also as depressing as being sick all the time. I have always been an active person. I workout 2 hrs a day. always watch what I eat and it has made no difference. My weight keeps creeping up. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MegGFBoston Rookie
Before anyone else says it , I know it's better to be healthy than thin. That being said, the weight gain after going gluten-free has me wondering in (fleeting moments)if it's all worth it. Watching the lbs. go up is also as depressing as being sick all the time. I have always been an active person. I workout 2 hrs a day. always watch what I eat and it has made no difference. My weight keeps creeping up. :(

I know what you mean!!! I feel the same way. I'm just creeping out of the situational depression I have been for three months (after buying all new spring/summer) clothes since nothing fit!!

But somehow I keep reminding myself that I am healthy (if not happy) and I have to say that now after six months of gluten free things seem to be normalizing - not losing weight as quickly as I would like - but it is not going up anymore either. I basically cut out all starches - including rice, potato etc that seems to be working

Hang in there!!!

par18 Apprentice
I know what you mean!!! I feel the same way. I'm just creeping out of the situational depression I have been for three months (after buying all new spring/summer) clothes since nothing fit!!

But somehow I keep reminding myself that I am healthy (if not happy) and I have to say that now after six months of gluten free things seem to be normalizing - not losing weight as quickly as I would like - but it is not going up anymore either. I basically cut out all starches - including rice, potato etc that seems to be working

Hang in there!!!

When I first started on the diet about 13 months ago I needed to gain about 30 lbs. It took about 10 months of steady eating to do this but I did. I was depressed because I could not be active being so underweight. I started being active again about 2 1/2 months into the diet. Before I was diagnosed I never thought about eating. Now I have to remind myself every day to make sure I eat something because I am extremely active burning calories. The reason I say this is because whether we are trying to lose or gain or remain the same it is going to be something we have to work on harder than the average person. I think this is a very good test of our organizational skills. Being active and doing physical exercise either by work or play is an important part of all of our lives. Anyone strong willed enough to stick to this diet can also gain or lose whatever amount of weight they desire. Feeling sorry for yourself is also a good way not to accomplish anything. I have no doubt that if you keep a check on the amount of starches and get exercise you can get there. The ultimate happiness that you may not have now will follow. Good luck.

Tom

tarnalberry Community Regular

are you replacing gluten-filled filled with yet starchier, lower nutritional-value gluten-free substitutes? if so, you may want to give those up in exchange for fruits/vegetables. also, if you're now absorbing more of what you are eating, you may need to reevaluate your daily caloric needs, and slowly cut back on the quantity of calories you consume in day.

Becky6 Enthusiast

It is very frustrating! I had gained a bunch of weight because I was on prednisone. Now that I am gluten-free I have gained even more! I know it is because I am absorbing the nutrients now but it is frustrating! Hang in there. For me I feel so much better that I would rather be heavier than not able to get out of bed.

lovegrov Collaborator

Well, as sick as I was I know my choices are: A) be gluten free and weigh more, or B) eat gluten, be skinnier and then die.

No choice there.

richard

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
It is very frustrating! I had gained a bunch of weight because I was on prednisone. Now that I am gluten-free I have gained even more! I know it is because I am absorbing the nutrients now but it is frustrating! Hang in there. For me I feel so much better that I would rather be heavier than not able to get out of bed.

I know what you mean about the Prednisone; I was on it for about 9 months or so a few years ago - my face got moony and I gained 20 pounds. I'm glad to hear you're off it. Nasty stuff! I just read today that some folks gain weight once they go gluten free since they are getting nutrients and calories and the like. I lost 10 #s when I quit wheat - now that I am gluten free (2 weeks), I hope I don't gain it back.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll even out and be whatever weight is healthy for you. In America I think we're too obsessed with what the scale says versus how we feel. So long as you feel healthy, that is what counts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

I went onto this gluten free diet with a bit of tredipation.

I have a different problem, and was in need of loosing a bit of weight, and had managed to loose two stone prior to being diagnosed with celiac, that was a battle as I was always hungry.

My worry with being gluten free was maybe I would get a bit down, and let the weight creep back up and I thought I would be just as hungry.

But the opposite has happened, I found I did not gain one ounce of what I had lost, nor did I lose any, but my appetite has changed and I am no longer starving, and feel more in control of my diet.

I am still overweight, but will deal with that later, well soon.

I did eat gluten free bread for a while, but have given it up as to me it seems about as bad as eating white bread. Has anybody got any thoughts on that?

Cathy

lindalee Enthusiast
I went onto this gluten free diet with a bit of tredipation.

I have a different problem, and was in need of loosing a bit of weight, and had managed to loose two stone prior to being diagnosed with celiac, that was a battle as I was always hungry.

My worry with being gluten free was maybe I would get a bit down, and let the weight creep back up and I thought I would be just as hungry.

But the opposite has happened, I found I did not gain one ounce of what I had lost, nor did I lose any, but my appetite has changed and I am no longer starving, and feel more in control of my diet.

I am still overweight, but will deal with that later, well soon.

I did eat gluten free bread for a while, but have given it up as to me it seems about as bad as eating white bread. Has anybody got any thoughts on that?

Cathy

White bread is bad and I rarely ate it. I went for the "GOOD STUFF" Whole Grains --ha,ha- I always stay hungry. I seem to want to eat very frequently whatever that means I am not overweight. I used to rely alot on popcorn as a filler but I am going to try to avoid corn also. I haven't tried to gluten-free breads. Some of the crackers are ok. Does anyone know if staying hungry means I am not absorbing? LInda Lee

Nancym Enthusiast
White bread is bad and I rarely ate it. I went for the "GOOD STUFF" Whole Grains --ha,ha- I always stay hungry. I seem to want to eat very frequently whatever that means I am not overweight. I used to rely alot on popcorn as a filler but I am going to try to avoid corn also. I haven't tried to gluten-free breads. Some of the crackers are ok. Does anyone know if staying hungry means I am not absorbing? LInda Lee

I find eating lots of starchy, sugary stuff makes me hungry. If I keep my diet centered around meat, veggies, fruit and such that I don't get ravenously hungry. I think it is the ups and downs of blood sugar.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Linda Lee, I've been five months gluten-free and no longer have the ravenous appetite. Occassionally I do, but most of the time I'm eating more normal ... still more than my husband, but a lot less than I used to.

I've gained all my weight back but the five pounds I didn't want anyway. Now I'm trying to balance eating enough with not gaining that five pounds back!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Try drinking a cup of herbal tea at the beginning of every meal, and in between every meal. That will help you cut down on the amount you're filling your stomach with). Also, as someone suggested above, be REALLY careful about the gluten-free breads and pastas--they are way heavier and more fattening than their gluten-filled counterparts.

ehrin Explorer

Geesh I know what you mean - how long have you been gluten-free? I'm in my 7th month and have put on over 10 pounds. I am already overweight so it's the last thing I need. Do you find you lack energy as well? That's my problem. Prior to my celiac diagnosis I was an avid gym goer. Exercise was a major component to keeping good control of my diabetes, however I now find that I have an almost lackadaisical approach to EVERYTHING. I have no motivation to hit the gym - I'm still maintaining good control of my diabetes, but I'm no where near as stringent as I was prior to diagnosis. I started weight watchers and have been gaining a pound a week. You'd think that'd be motivation in and of itself, but it isn't. Now I just figure I'll see how fat I can actually get :huh:

I don't know. My mother said I get P.I.A. (pain in the a$$) diseases. I couldn't agree more.

jenvan Collaborator
are you replacing gluten-filled filled with yet starchier, lower nutritional-value gluten-free substitutes? if so, you may want to give those up in exchange for fruits/vegetables. also, if you're now absorbing more of what you are eating, you may need to reevaluate your daily caloric needs, and slowly cut back on the quantity of calories you consume in day.

I 2nd was Tiffany said above. A great weight to lose weight...and to just eat anyway, is lower-carb. When you do choose a carb, go for a high fiber/high nutrition one...such as millet or quinoa vs. white rice. When I started adding on the pounds post gluten-free, I cut down on my simple carb intake and have stopped gaining weight...even lost most of what I gained. Eat protein, and as I mentioned, higher fiber, more "filling" foods.

Are you on any medications?

sjc Newbie

I am also gaining weight. I also have diarrhea. I try so hard to make sure the food I am eating is safe. It is so depressing, hard to find comfortable clothes, and don't want to see people I know because I am so embarrassed how I look. I have arthritis in both knees ( need to have knee replacement surgery) and my right foot "has issues" (tolong to describe but have already had 2 surgeries).

Warrior Woman Rookie

You dont mention what it is your eating or what your workout is.

Are you eating too many carbs? Are you eating enough lean protein? Are you getting enough good fat to feel full? Are you getting enough nutrients? How much fruit and veggies are you eating? Are you taking a multi vitamin?

Just because you are eating gluten-free doesnt mean it is healthy per se. A lot of the gluten-free replacements are high calorie. And if you arent drinking enough water, you may be dehydrated and not hungry. Have you tried writing down everything you eat for a week or so and see where you calories are coming from? To help find this out you can go to www.fitday.com. It is free and tracks your calories, the protein/fat/carb make up of what you are eating, the nutrients you are getting and tracks the xercise you do. That would help considerably in find out more informatiopn to your problem.

What does your workout consist of? Do you change it up? Do you have rest days or weeks built in? Why are you working out for two hours a day?

If you are working out too much, your body could be holding on to the calories that you are eating. Or if your routine is the same day in and day out, your body beciase accustomed to the workout and you arent getting the full benefit.

There are many variables to your problem. Eating gluten is not the answer. You may have to consult a nutritionist and/or a coach.

Lorraine

Guest nini

I was overweight before going gluten-free, and I've managed to lose 105 lbs in over 3 years... I've found that I have to stay away from a lot of the gluten-free substitute products and stick with foods that are naturally gluten-free. I also eat more frequent meals/snacks throughout the day so my body doesn't go back into starvation mode and hold onto the fat. I watch my portion sizes and allow myself treats in small quantities. If I want something (gluten-free of course) I allow myself to have it, just in small portions. I try to not focus on losing weight at all, but just in eating healthy. Sometimes I hit a plateau for a while and don't lose anything and even gain up to five pounds back, but after a few weeks things level back out and I start losing again. I still need to lose about 30 more pounds but I'm not stressing about it. (Can't afford to go buy another new wardrobe right now!)

Lister Rising Star

keep working at it and you will shed the pounds. i had the exact opisite from going gluten-free, withen the first 3 weeks i lost 100 pounds and have only gained back 3 so far

• 2 weeks later...
NiqueP Rookie

Archived