4 replies to this topic

#1 tammy

tammy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

;)I am still unclear about the link between gluten sensitivity and nutritional deficiencies. Is it still necessary to take certain nutritional supplements even when on a gluten-free diet? Even when the stool is "normal?"

Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

Once your intestines heal, and you are testing normal levels of calcium, iron, B-vitamins, etc. then it would be up to you if you want to continue using supplements. I think is a good idea for my family, since our gluten/dairy free diet is a bit lacking in some areas of vitamins and minerals. We are just too limited in certain things. So I make sure we get a good multi-vitamin+mineral, and additional calcium and magnesium. That is about it.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 12:29 PM

I think it depends on your bond density scan, I need to take 7 calcuim a day to
try to get my bone back in shape and I'm only 43. I have to spread them out to absorb them.

#4 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:20 PM

Check with your doctor even if you are on a gluten free diet and feel fine. I have been on a gluten free diet since July 18, 2003. My stomach feels fine, but I am anemic. I take 325 Mg of iron 3 times a day and it does not get absorbed. They conducted three tests, a fecal fat, xylose absoption, and albumin. All three were NOT normal. This means that I am malabosorbing. If you are malabsorbing, you loose vitamins and minerals. Also get a DEXA bone density scan. You might not be absorbing vitamin D and Calcium. A simple blood test can check the vitamin D. My villi are still flat, but my stomach feels fine, but ironically, I am malabosbing. So check. The tests are somewhat time consuming but osteroporis is worse.

Lisa
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:15 AM

Hi,
I would recommend taking something, if only a multivitamin. I take a mulitvitamin, but also some calcium pill (my diet doesn't have enough calcium to begin with). In addition, my doctor (for celiac disease) prescribed a "folic acid" -- I think it's supposed to help to absorb nutrients, or something. It's up to you, but I'd recommend it -- it's a good and relatively easy way to take care of your body.

-celiac3270

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: