9 replies to this topic

#1 AmyandSabastian

AmyandSabastian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:24 AM

Ok I am sure you all are getting tired of me. I am so sorry. D day is coming soon (Aug 1st the household is going gluten free) and I need to learn as much as possible in a little over a month. Do you suggest any good sites to visit, books to read, other support groups on line and message boards? And thing for babies? You all have been so helpful already and I thank you so much.
Amy (25) and Bryan (26)....Gluten Free Aug 1 2004
Sabastian (8 months).... Gluten free May 17 2004

Lafayette, La (The Cajun HeartLand)

It's Just Food!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:53 AM

Amy-
I have started a online support group/ information group. I have about 110 links to different information, research, and foods etc posted there. You are welcome to come and join, just PM me and I'll send you the address to the site. I can't put it up here, no promoting your own websites :D . But if you would like please come join us there. Several folks have kiddoes and I'm sure they would be a great help. It doesn't cost anything to join, just doing this for free to help others.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

P.S. if anybody else wants the address PM me.
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:59 AM

You could always join a ROCK group(raising our celiac kids) It is very informational and fun for the kids.
Molly

#4 AmyandSabastian

AmyandSabastian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:06 AM

Well I called the owner of ORCK. She was great. And also told me that she doesnt have a group in La. :( But that is something I am looking for.
Amy (25) and Bryan (26)....Gluten Free Aug 1 2004
Sabastian (8 months).... Gluten free May 17 2004

Lafayette, La (The Cajun HeartLand)

It's Just Food!

#5 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:09 AM

The book "Against the Grain by Jax Peters Lowell" Is pretty good. It is an old book but it has a lot of valuable information in it
Molly

#6 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:09 AM

First, I am in Jessica's group (SillyYaks) and it is GREAT. I highly recommend getting on that list.

Second, buy Danna Korn's book "Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children" it is really helpful.

I have a 2 1/2 year old who was just diagnosed a little over a week ago and he's already putting on weight and is a totally different kid. And the biggest help to me has been these boards and the people. I couldn't of done it without this connection! Thank GOD for the internet!

B

#7 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:29 AM

USA Silly Yaks to be exact.... :D
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:11 AM

Research, research, research (esp. on this site).....and start keeping a binder or folder....print out good threads or photocopy things from books, various lists, print recipes or whatever.....start one central place where you can look for recipes or ingredients or food ideas....whatever.....then, even if you don't memorize all this stuff, you have it in a place where you can easily refer to it.....I haven't followed my own advice, but I just try to remember it....however, since you have multiple people that will need to refer to this info., it might make sense to have hard copies of good information.....

Second, buy Danna Korn's book "Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children" it is really helpful.

True....it's helpful for when you're starting in that it has various lists, but also good for various parenting tricks with Celiac kids....for example, what to do about birthday parties or Halloween....and then various ideas for everyday life with a Celiac kid. I was thinking of that book, but couldn't remember the title....thanks Boojca.

I, too have joined Jessica's group, although I don't post much...I have all the topics coming in via e-mail, so you don't even have to go to any sites...if you see by the subject that it's something that you're not interested in, just delete it, but if it's something that you do like, it's convenient to read.....in addition, most of the topics are things that you don't see on the board (for example, you'll be sent the article every time celiac disease appears in the news :D -- they even had e-mails about babyfood....not sure exactly how old your son is......

-celiac3270

#9 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:37 AM

Amy,

Seeing celiac3270's post made me remember something else. I not only made myself a binder I also copy everything I get and have made binders for my mother, the other grandmother, our daycare provider...anyone who may care for our son for more than just a few hours. That way, they are covered whether it be for an overnight visit or when preparing for a family meal. They have been much appreciative. I also made two copies of the binder to keep in both of our vehicles. That way, no matter where we are or who has our son, my husband and I are never stranded without the list of safe/forbidden ingredients or without the list of foods we know are safe. It's quite handy!

Bridget

#10 DawnI

DawnI

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:40 AM

I make binders for other people too.....my mom loves to look it over. very supportive.

my son (11) his teacher asked For one also....

daughter will also be joining the gluten-free team.....so her daycare will receive one also.
Dawn
Dawn
Son - age 11 Sean, dx 4/03
daughter - age 4.5 Hope dx 7/04
In memory of husband Bob - undiagnosed celiac disease that lead to lymphoma - March 5, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: