Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Outer Banks, Nc

2 posts in this topic

Hi-

My family is going to the NC outerbanks this year for vacation. Any celiac (and vegetarian) friendly places to eat? Anyone know? We will be near hatteras island.

Thanks!

Melissa

Ads by Google:

The stuff below was posted at St. John's a while back. I have not been to any of these places personally. Vegetarian is tougher because broiled or boiled seafood is always a good bet.

"Daily Menu Natural Food store at Mile post 6 in Kill Devil Hills. North

Croatan Highway

Others have recommended Black Pelican,

Lone Cedar Inn near bridge in Manteo, Penquin Isle, S. Croatan Highway, Nags

Head (especially the flourless chocolate torte and filet with crabmeat

It is called the Health A Rama. The number is 252-480-6368. They are

located at MIle Post 6, and the address is 2200 N. Croatan Hwy 158 (That

is the bi-pass if you are familiar with Nags Head.

Joey and Cathy Monroe are the owners. I bet if you call ahead they

could tell you what they have available or even order for you. The

prices were higher than I pay at Whole Foods in Raleigh, but it

was GREAT to find them, especially for frozen or cold things that don't

travel well.

I remember finding Gluten-Free Pantry mixes and bread in the freezer

The hours are MON-SAT 9AM-7PM.

Your best bet for gluten-free-friendly restaurants has been the very upscale ones.

Penguin Isle in Nags Head has been wonderful. Sometimes they even have a

flourless chocolate torte that is to die for."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Will Australia's Gluten-free Barley Set the Beer World on Fire?
      Can Australia's new gluten-free barley revolutionize the gluten-free beer industry? View the full article
    • Could this possibly be related to celiac or a gluten intolerance?
      Welcome, @ModernLifeIsWar! Celiac has over 300 symptoms, but it looks like you have some symptoms that appear a lot in those diagnosed with celiac. I suggest you take these symptoms to your doctor and ask for a GI consult and to get the full blod panel to test for celiac disease. The gold standard is an endoscope, where 4 or more biopsies of the intestines are taken. The caveat is that you must be on a diet with gluten for all tests to be accurate, and you must continue eating gluten until all testing is done.  So, if it were me, I would start eating gluten again and get that referral.  However, you need to make the decision that is best or you.  Edited to Add: Also, since you eat a lot of processed food, your body might be reacting to other things, such ad additives. 
    • Could this possibly be related to celiac or a gluten intolerance?
      I don't have any real major stomach issues, however I've had a diet for years very high in gluten consisting of tons of junk food (pizza, cookies, cereal, donuts, etc..).  A few symptoms I have noticed over the years have been: -Migraines (very frequent) -Large increase in eye floaters -Very bad sinus congestion -Very bad anxiety -Semi frequent bouts of diarrhea/runny bowel movements. Not all the time, but it certainly happens more than I feel is normal.   However, in terms of stomach pain I haven't noticed much. I do get very bloated sometimes however, mainly just contributed this to my crappy diet. Anyways, since the beginning of April I've been having a lot of neurological issues and after reading more into gluten intolerance I'm wondering if it couldn't be associated: -Full body tremors ranging from hands, arms, legs, and core. (i.e. I shake a lot when doing stuff with my hands, if I try to do sit ups my whole body will shake, etc..). I've had minor hand tremors in the past but this problem has recently blown to a whole new level -Muscle spasms all over and mild cramping -tingling feelings randomly throughout my  body in all parts including face and head -Shortness of breath -Racing heart rate when doing physical activity (i.e. walking upstairs and I'm a fairly active person) -Minor issues with balance and coordination -Brain fog   I'm going to see a neurologist in 3 weeks, but I decided to give gluten free a try as of two days ago. I've also been taking a lot of important vitamins and nutrients (b12, d, b complex, fish oil, magnesium, etc..). I'd be interested to know if anyone here has experienced similar symptoms (most notably tremors and muscle spasms) and had success switching to gluten free. I've seen anecdotal cases posted, so I'm hoping that maybe this is my issue. Another thing to note is my younger sister has very bad stomach issues. She hasn't seen a Dr about it and can't follow a diet to save her life, but she commonly complains of pain, gas, bloating, nasty bowel movements, etc... after eating out. So I think there is a possible genetic factor here. What would be the best Dr to seek out in helping me diagnose such a thing? Also is it normal to have stomach issues AFTER starting gluten free? Today is my third day and I've had 2 bouts of diarrhea and very loud stomach growling. Possibly from switching from a diet full of sugar and gluten to one with significantly less and gluten free?
    • Weird Reaction
      Hi Cristiana, You are quite right, there could be something wrong with the batch. I have often wondered this myself when I've had symptoms. A lot of manufacturers recall products when they find contamination issues, I often wonder though, how many products 'sneak' under the radar and no-one knows for sure; it could be the reason why so many of us wonder what we did to get 'glutened'. 
    • 9 year Old going through testing
      Thank you everyone. I have scheduled a second opinion. He last biopsie came back and he is lactose intolerant.     
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
    • SLLRunner

Week 4 of the gluten challenge- wheat cereal every morning, regular bread every day, and wheat tortillas for my lunch wraps. Right now, body aches that seem exercise related (weight lifting and running), even though I am doing the same intensity of weight lifting and running I've always done.  Just a few more weeks until my blood test. Counting down the days.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    LPS48