This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating gluten-free Oats

hez

hez Enthusiast

Well, I thought I would let everyone know how my experiment is working. I ordered gluten-free oats from the company in Wyoming. I have had oatmel for breakfast and oatmeal cookies. I have been eating them for almost a month. No reaction.

I am NOT recommending you eat oats. Eating oats is a personal decision that each of us makes after doing the proper research. I only wanted to share my experience. Please keep in mind that others have tried gluten-free oats (I think they were from Canada) and did NOT have a good experience.

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Just because you aren't having symptoms doesn't mean you aren't reacting.

hez Enthusiast

True. However, I usually am very sensitive. I will be doing bloodwork in the next month as well. I think my doc would also like to do another endo but we are in discussions about that.

Hez

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Some people get intestinal damage from even pure and uncontaminated oats. You see, the protein in oats, avenin, is similar and some react to it so if you eat oats I would recommend getting a followup bloodtest or biopsy(whichever way you were diagnosed) to see if you are in fact doing damage.

hez Enthusiast

Kati,

You are so right! It was one of the many issues that came up when researching whether or not to try oats. Again, I am not advocating that everyone rush out and try oats. There are a ton of issues that you need to research and figure out with your doctor what is best.

Hez

chrissy Collaborator

my kids don't seem to havae a problem with them either.

VydorScope Proficient

I think once truly gluten-free oats reach the public in decent quanties we will find out for sure how many ppl are bothered by oats. Ppl quote numbers from 10% to over 50% of ppl with celiac disease sposedly having a problem with oats... I tend to believe its closer to the 10% number and just an Oat Intolerence rahter then the protien being simular... the trouble is how do you know for sure if your one of them or not?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I have a little bit of oats almost everyday. As I test the cereal for my son on my lips to see how hot it is. When I say a dab of cereal its almost miniscule. I dont know if its hurting me. I dont feel any different. But maybe overalll that is why I dont feel very good. I am trying to keep my son gluten free.. the only gluten he eats is his oatmeal in the morning. otherwise he strictly stays to the diet.. and he will until we can prove he is safe, which I dont put much into the docs.

So I am not doing him any favors am I... sheesh.. sometimes you really have to write (or type) things to see in black and white what you are doing wrong.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I think once truly gluten-free oats reach the public in decent quanties we will find out for sure how many ppl are bothered by oats. Ppl quote numbers from 10% to over 50% of ppl with celiac disease sposedly having a problem with oats... I tend to believe its closer to the 10% number and just an Oat Intolerence rahter then the protien being simular... the trouble is how do you know for sure if your one of them or not?

Guess I'm about to find out.....in a moment of wistfulness and missing my morning oatmeal too much, I ordered them....will let you know how it goes!

tarnalberry Community Regular

The studies I've referred to give a number that's around 10% (a bit under), and suggest that it's not an oat intolerance, but its a similarity in protein due to elevated serum antibodies and celiac-characteristic intestinal damage found on biopsy. (This was a study specifically aimed at looking at the oat question.)

chrissy Collaborator

so..........is there anyone on here that eats oats and has actually had their Ttg levels tested?

hez Enthusiast

I have an appt with my gi doc in several weeks. I will let you know how this goes. It will be interesting to see the numbers. I also will enjoy the appt. I know my gi doc would like to do another endo. I think I would just prefer the blood test.

Hez

KellyR Apprentice

My daughter has been eating the oats for about 3 months and has had no reactions. She had bloodwork done 2 weeks ago and her numbers actually look much better than they had in previous blood tests. She has been gluten free for 4 years and has her blood tests once a year. This was the best one yet!!!

chrissy Collaborator

what is the brand of the oats your daughter is eating?

KellyR Apprentice
what is the brand of the oats your daughter is eating?
My daughter is eating McCanns oatmeat for breakfast at least 5 days a week and also I have been making her cookies alot with it.

Archived