This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fda Warning For Adhd Drugs

Ursa Major

penguin Community Regular
Well, here now we have a perfectly rounded, 100% normal person (whatever normal means). Amazing! :D I think an AQ of 9 makes you a VERY social person (the opposite of me).

Congrats Chelsea--you're the normal one :lol:

Normal? Man... thats a concept I just dont understand... so hard to get my head around... whats it like?????

*snif* I'd like to thank the academy...

:P

I really thought I had to have ADD or something, but I guess my goldfish attention span really is the result of brainfog!

Erm, I guess being normal feels...normal? I'm also more systemizing and empathetic than the average population...what does that mean? At least I'm equal with the numbers at least...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Smunkeemom, you obviously are a LOT into systemizing, but again, with your other two numbers, not likely AS (or maybe just a touch).

yeah, I think that's why people think I am crazy, my doctor says I have OCD, but the meds made me feel high so he said not to take them. I prefer to think I am eccentric. :P

Ursa Major Collaborator
Well I have had lots of lables, but AS has not been one of them. I pretty much assume some form of Autism but since my last DX'd of ADHD/etc I not been for futher testing. One I notice about AS is...

To this day I am way behind in written lang. I tested a 4th grade level recently. So probably not. Verbal I am okay with, and thanks to programs like Word, I get by fine in the corporate world with written and I am far from the complete and total helpless failure that many said I would be. :)

Bit of trivia for you... under the ADA its is illegal to require me to spell words correctly :lol::lol:

Vincent, it is SPOKEN language they're talking about. Plus, you might have HFA (high functioning autism), which goes along with late speech development. My older brother didn't speak until the age of three, but by the time he was six and I was five, his speech was the same as mine, and still is.

And dyslexia is VERY common in people with AS (more common than in the general population). And actually, your proficiency with computers speaks for AS or HFA (Bill Gates has AS, by the way).

Smunkeemom, nothing wrong with being eccentric! At least you're not boring. ;)

ChelsE, what is normal? I have no idea. I guess it is what the majority decides on what 'everybody' should be like to fit their preconceived ideals of normal. If the majority of people were like me, you would be the odd one out and would be told to 'shape up' and stop being so social!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent, it is SPOKEN language they're talking about. Plus, you might have HFA (high functioning autism), which goes along with late speech development. My older brother didn't speak until the age of three, but by the time he was six and I was five, his speech was the same as mine, and still is.

And dyslexia is VERY common in people with AS (more common than in the general population). And actually, your proficiency with computers speaks for AS or HFA (Bill Gates has AS, by the way).

Ding Ding DIng , you take the prize dyslexia is one my lables that was covered under "etc" :)

Well acording to my Mom (I do not realy remember!) I did not start talking till 2 1/2... so dunno if thats late or not? She tells me I was late on every milestone...

My son was very late talking, and still is behind, but he spent 18months in brainfog, and 6 months deaf ... so no surprise there! He making HUGE MASSIVE strides now though. Learned a years worth of lang in 2 months. :)

BTW, why is it that words like "Cookie" and "Candy" he can say perfectly with out prompting, but "please" and "thank you" are a struggle. :lol::lol::lol:

wolfie Enthusiast

Hmmm...my numbers were

AQ= 38

EQ=24

SQ= 54

chrissy Collaborator

ursula---i have done eliminating in my diet and i have had counceling several times over the years------neither of which helped a whole lot. i am going to try some eliminating again. i'm going to go try those tests now.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Hmmm...my numbers were

AQ= 38

EQ=24

SQ= 54

That's interesting! Not all women with AS are good with technology, some are gifted in languages instead (I am both, but I am not even your 'average' Aspie, either).

You might want to get tested, you may have AS.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

ok, here are my scores

AQ=14

EQ=49

SQ=38

i seem to be pretty sociable, normally empathetic, but not very systematic-----still seems to fit ADD to me.

kabowman Explorer

Vincent, my oldest son, 15, is dislexic, disgraphic, and ADHD (docs office has ADD but he gets very hyper when he isn't totally absorbed into something or when the meds wear off). He has been on meds for 4 years now - we won't ever go back. He is The Poster Child for these meds because he made such a turnaround.

He would go into the hallway at school and just cry because at half a work load was too much, public school is not set up for someone who is very visual. Next year, he is taking 2 art classes, computer programming, and a landscape architecture class with his required courses. Part of the problem, until HS, all his teachers were willing to do anything to help him - turn it in late, stay after school and they would help, etc.

He didn't/could barely read until he was 10, now he reads non-stop - almost obsessively. The pyschologist and the tester don't suspect AS - his dad does but he really doesn't have most of the symptoms. He can be social whenever he choses to - kind of like me.

Now, I am hoping that he will learn to cope without drugs sometime in the near future but we aren't there yet. Two years ago he also started on anti-depresants which helped tremdously!!!

We are now, going through re-testing, per his doctor's advice based on new problems in high school which I can't tell if they are depression or LD related. They didn't find anything on the first set of his recent tests so ran some more - we should get the report within a week.

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent, my oldest son, 15, is dislexic, disgraphic, and ADHD (docs office has ADD but he gets very hyper when he isn't totally absorbed into something or when the meds wear off). He has been on meds for 4 years now - we won't ever go back. He is The Poster Child for these meds because he made such a turnaround.

I have yet to see an ADD cause where you do no see dislexica, statitiscly something like 80% of child/adults with ADD/ADHD are dyslexic. Makes you wonder about the connection.....

As for lable of ADD vs ADHD, the last revsion of the DSM (or the pone befor that... forget which it happened in) has actaully combined them. So theres not realy ADHD vs ADD any more.

...he gets very hyper when he isn't totally absorbed into something ...now he reads non-stop - almost obsessively.

"Hyperfocus" (like you describe) is a clasic sign of ADD/ADHD, which is humorus when you stop and think about it. :)

Now, I am hoping that he will learn to cope without drugs sometime in the near future but we aren't there yet. Two years ago he also started on anti-depresants which helped tremdously!!!

Is he in therapy to learn coping skills? Or "Behavior Modification" as we used to call it. :) If not then it could be alot harder, unless you are teaching him those skills in place of a doctor or ADD/ADHD Coach. The brain is a very amazing creation, while it cant realy be repaired, it can learn to compensate very well. Most childern can learn to cope leading ppl to think they grow out of it, which is not possible.

ursula---i have done eliminating in my diet and i have had counceling several times over the years------neither of which helped a whole lot. i am going to try some eliminating again. i'm going to go try those tests now.

Chrissy, have you tried to eliminate food addivtes such as dyes, and the like? They are TOUGH to aviod, but an allergy to htem has often been mistaken for ADHD, and no amount of meds will help that.

chrissy Collaborator

i think what i am going to try is the elimination diet that they often suggest to nursing mothers--------i think it gets down to pretty bare bones to begin with. i am going to read up on it. do any of you know any good sites that i can look up any other instructions for a good elimination diet?

Ursa Major Collaborator

Vincent, I don't have dyslexia (quite the opposite), but I have dyscalculia instead (like dyslexia, but with numbers, directions, math, time, money instead). I am not sure what is more difficult to compensate for. If it is possible to get lost, I will do it! Fortunately, a strategy I developed a few years ago worked at least for getting lost. The night before I go somewhere, I get out the maps and write down my route, in every tiny little detail, and visualize it well. Usually I do fine (unless there is a detour :( ). I got a cellphone just so I can call somebody when I am lost again!

When I get directions from somebody, I have them tell me what landmarks to look out for when I get to where I need to turn. There is no point of anybody telling me to 'go north', or west, or whichever direction. I never have any clue where any of them are!

And boy, do I hyperfocus (it's also a classic symptom of AS)! I totally lose track of time and space regularly. I'll be sitting at the computer, totally absorbed in whatever I am doing, and don't notice it getting totally dark around me until my husband gets home, wondering if anybody is home! And he'll get mad because I forgot to cook supper, accusing me of doing it on purpose.

Or I'll read an interesting book, and when I look up, it's 5:00 AM, and I have read all night, without meaning to (that one is a bummer if I have to go somewhere in the morning).

Chrissy, you obviously can't have AS, your scores don't support that hypothesis at all. But it was worth checking into, anyway. Good luck with your elimination diet. By the way, have you ever tried cutting out sugar entirely (as well as all artificial sweeteners)? Pure, unrefined honey and maple syrup are fine.

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent, I don't have dyslexia (quite the opposite), but I have dyscalculia instead (like dyslexia, but with numbers, directions, math, time, money instead). I am not sure what is more difficult to compensate for. If it is possible to get lost, I will do it! Fortunately, a strategy I developed a few years ago worked at least for getting lost. The night before I go somewhere, I get out the maps and write down my route, in every tiny little detail, and visualize it well. Usually I do fine (unless there is a detour :( ). I got a cellphone just so I can call somebody when I am lost again!

When I get directions from somebody, I have them tell me what landmarks to look out for when I get to where I need to turn. There is no point of anybody telling me to 'go north', or west, or whichever direction. I never have any clue where any of them are!

And boy, do I hyperfocus (it's also a classic symptom of AS)! I totally lose track of time and space regularly. I'll be sitting at the computer, totally absorbed in whatever I am doing, and don't notice it getting totally dark around me until my husband gets home, wondering if anybody is home! And he'll get mad because I forgot to cook supper, accusing me of doing it on purpose.

Or I'll read an interesting book, and when I look up, it's 5:00 AM, and I have read all night, without meaning to (that one is a bummer if I have to go somewhere in the morning)

Direction issues is comong to both dyslexia and dyscalculia. I use a GPS to get around in places that I do not know. :) When I was being tested the physco-doc remarked at how I sovled all the math (an other non-verbal tasks) problems verably instead of using pen/paper/etc... its noted in her report. I dunno how I do it, I just talk (literly) through a math problem and have an answer. Teachers HATE that btw. :D

The funny hting was they tell you to hold up your hand, and the one that looks like an L is the left... WELL DUH! That not gonna work when your Dyslexic! :lol: To this day I cant tell you which one is an L :lol:

The thing with the book, OMG so true... what is it about books that are soooo engaging?!? much more then any movie!

My wife will tell you the parts about forgeting supers/etc apply 100% to me too.. the worst part about it... I usally cant tell you what I was doing! heh. She complains that she has often fallen asleep wiating for me to come down and tuck her in LOL. Or she will tell me that supper is ready, and I will say "okay be right there" and mean it... then I wander down what I honestly thing is a min or to later.. she and ,my son are done eating, have cleaned up and everything hehe. :lol:

Guhlia Rising Star

AQ - 41

EQ - 22

SQ - 22

Ursula - should I be worried? Is there treatment available for AS? Right now, due to insurance situations, it is impossible for me to get tested. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been previously diagnosed w/ Borderline Personality Disorder and ADD.

Ursa Major Collaborator
AQ - 41

EQ - 22

SQ - 22

Ursula - should I be worried? Is there treatment available for AS? Right now, due to insurance situations, it is impossible for me to get tested. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been previously diagnosed w/ Borderline Personality Disorder and ADD.

Well, some other common things Aspies get misdiagnosed with are: Borderline Personality Disorder, Schizophrenia and Bipolar.

Your scores on the AQ and EQ could indicate AS instead. Hey, AS is not a disorder, really, it is a DIFFERENCE. I'd rather have AS any day than somebody telling me I have Borderline Personality Disorder (whatever their crazy definition for that one is).

No, there is no treatment for AS, as it really isn't a problem. The problem is other people, who expect me to be like them! They think if somebody hates socializing, refuses to do small talk, won't sweet talk anybody, won't lie, loves their computer (and prefers it to people), hates parties, hates dressing up, doesn't care about gossip and fashion etc., that person MUST be ill! Which is ridiculous. But there is therapy that teaches you how to cope better, manage social situations better, and how to deal with stress.

The good thing about knowing it's AS is, that now I don't believe I am crazy any more because I am so different. Aspies have some great strengths! They are often very creative, they're very loyal, they don't cheat or lie, they're tenacious, they see a project through even if it means staying up night and day without eating or sleeping, they believe in justice and fair play, they love finding out facts (and know a great deal of them), they're not shallow, they mean what they say and say what they mean (no beating around the bush here B) ). Too bad that some people will declare honesty to be rude, and I don't have a clue I've offended them by not playing their social cat and mouse game (heck, I don't have a clue how to do that!).

So, should you be worried? I don't think so. Just be aware that you've tested within the autism scores, do some research and see if the profile fits you. It will likely explain many things, and you'll look at the world with different eyes.

By the way, what a sweet child you have in your avatar!

Guhlia Rising Star

Ursula, I sent you a PM. Thank you.

Claire Collaborator

For VydorScope -

What is the source of your information that ADHD can be proven with a brain scan?

Having encountered any number of children and adults with this 'diagnosis' I have yet to see anyone who has been 'tested'. The diagnosis is generally subjective - based on behavorial manifestations.

I would appreciate you sharing the source of your information. Thanks. Claire

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
For VydorScope -

What is the source of your information that ADHD can be proven with a brain scan?

Having encountered any number of children and adults with this 'diagnosis' I have yet to see anyone who has been 'tested'. The diagnosis is generally subjective - based on behavorial manifestations.

I have heard from a nurologist that they can do a brain scan (CT) for it and see changes, but it's not a diagnostic tool, it's kinda like there are actual chemical differences in the brain of a bipolar person but they don't do CT to confirm that diagnosis, it goes more by symptoms and behavior.

chrissy Collaborator

my husband has also seen an article in a magazine (time or newsweek maybe?) that showed actual brain scan pictures and showed how the brain looked different in a person with ADHD.

christine

VydorScope Proficient
For VydorScope -

I dont have a link presently, but there have been several articals (as others have mentioned already on it several times in this thread). Just as with celiac disease the "gold tool" is the stupid outdated unrelible bisopy, the "gold" standard for ADD dx is school history, family history, and behavior studies of the subject. Most psychologists/physchartists do not have access to brain scans/training/etc. If you want that kind of dx you need to get with a neorologist who speicalizes in these cases, which is not the normal path, and in my expernece insurance coverage is minimal at best. Given the reality of medical care being didicatated by insurance coverage, and so called "gold standards", I would be surprised if you found many that got dx'd this way.

I am sure if you realy are intrested in seeing them, Google can find them. Or check the archives of the major sceince mags.

Just to show you how spending 20 seconds looking, this is the first link I found in Google..

Open Original Shared Link

(note only skimed it fast... serach returned a very large number of results from varios docs and instutions plus the normal "YOUR EVIL IF YOU BELIVE IN ADD" total crap sites.

kabowman Explorer

My son, HATES, HATES, therapy stuff, really, really HATES anything associated with it. One of the reasons we have been dealing with his pediatrition only. He is a very private person. He also HATES all testing, except this last one he said wasn't too bad.

We had a wonderful inclusion teacher for him in 5th/6th grade that helped a lot and since he is so bright, he manages pretty well, unless he is reading, then you need a sledgehammer to get through to him. One of the reasons we had to "ban books" for most school days. He would read and not do anything else, no school work, no class work, no listening, etc - just sit there all day and read, read, read. He was going through 3-5 books - adult books - a day.

He has fought depression since he was about 6 or 7--now 15--and a lot of his depression symptoms mimic his ADHD symptoms so sometimes it is difficult to tell which is affecting him more at the time. Therefore, we aren't sure if his obsessive reading is an escape or a symptom of his ADHD becoming more unmanable. Hopefully the new testing will reveal something OR we go see an child psychitrist for depression meds management.

VydorScope Proficient
My son, HATES, HATES, therapy stuff, really, really HATES anything associated with it. One of the reasons we have been dealing with his pediatrition only. He is a very private person. He also HATES all testing, except this last one he said wasn't too bad.

We had a wonderful inclusion teacher for him in 5th/6th grade that helped a lot and since he is so bright, he manages pretty well, unless he is reading, then you need a sledgehammer to get through to him. One of the reasons we had to "ban books" for most school days. He would read and not do anything else, no school work, no class work, no listening, etc - just sit there all day and read, read, read. He was going through 3-5 books - adult books - a day.

He has fought depression since he was about 6 or 7--now 15--and a lot of his depression symptoms mimic his ADHD symptoms so sometimes it is difficult to tell which is affecting him more at the time. Therefore, we aren't sure if his obsessive reading is an escape or a symptom of his ADHD becoming more unmanable. Hopefully the new testing will reveal something OR we go see an child psychitrist for depression meds management.

Do you have a CHADD chapter in your area? I think you might want to look for a "ADHD Coach". They are not docs, cant prescribe meds, but tend to work better with ppl on how to cope. Normaly they are ppl with ADD/ADHD themselves that have learned how to deal with it, and willing to pass it on.

Your local CHADD chapter can likly help you find a good one in your area.

kabowman Explorer

Apparently we do, thanks!

VydorScope Proficient
Apparently we do, thanks!

Great! I hear they tend to be the best souce for local info, but we do not have one here so never worked with them first hand.

wonkabar Contributor

Anyway, try these just for fun, and see how you score.

Hi Ursala! I taught self-contained Special Education before I stayed home with my kids. I worked with kids of varying ability levels with a variety of Dx. I worked with a couple of kids with AS...they were two of my "favorite" kids! :) This was interesting to complete from that perspective b/c I was able to so clearly see "my kids" in many of these questions.

--Kristy

So here are my scores...

AQ=8

EQ=63

SQ=35

Archived