50 replies to this topic

#46 kabowman

kabowman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

My son, HATES, HATES, therapy stuff, really, really HATES anything associated with it. One of the reasons we have been dealing with his pediatrition only. He is a very private person. He also HATES all testing, except this last one he said wasn't too bad.

We had a wonderful inclusion teacher for him in 5th/6th grade that helped a lot and since he is so bright, he manages pretty well, unless he is reading, then you need a sledgehammer to get through to him. One of the reasons we had to "ban books" for most school days. He would read and not do anything else, no school work, no class work, no listening, etc - just sit there all day and read, read, read. He was going through 3-5 books - adult books - a day.

He has fought depression since he was about 6 or 7--now 15--and a lot of his depression symptoms mimic his ADHD symptoms so sometimes it is difficult to tell which is affecting him more at the time. Therefore, we aren't sure if his obsessive reading is an escape or a symptom of his ADHD becoming more unmanable. Hopefully the new testing will reveal something OR we go see an child psychitrist for depression meds management.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:00 AM

My son, HATES, HATES, therapy stuff, really, really HATES anything associated with it. One of the reasons we have been dealing with his pediatrition only. He is a very private person. He also HATES all testing, except this last one he said wasn't too bad.

We had a wonderful inclusion teacher for him in 5th/6th grade that helped a lot and since he is so bright, he manages pretty well, unless he is reading, then you need a sledgehammer to get through to him. One of the reasons we had to "ban books" for most school days. He would read and not do anything else, no school work, no class work, no listening, etc - just sit there all day and read, read, read. He was going through 3-5 books - adult books - a day.

He has fought depression since he was about 6 or 7--now 15--and a lot of his depression symptoms mimic his ADHD symptoms so sometimes it is difficult to tell which is affecting him more at the time. Therefore, we aren't sure if his obsessive reading is an escape or a symptom of his ADHD becoming more unmanable. Hopefully the new testing will reveal something OR we go see an child psychitrist for depression meds management.

Do you have a CHADD chapter in your area? I think you might want to look for a "ADHD Coach". They are not docs, cant prescribe meds, but tend to work better with ppl on how to cope. Normaly they are ppl with ADD/ADHD themselves that have learned how to deal with it, and willing to pass it on.

Your local CHADD chapter can likly help you find a good one in your area.

- Vincent -

#48 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

Apparently we do, thanks!
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#49 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

Apparently we do, thanks!

Great! I hear they tend to be the best souce for local info, but we do not have one here so never worked with them first hand.

- Vincent -

#50 wonkabar

wonkabar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

Autism Quotient test (AQ)

Empathizing and Systemizing Quotient (EQ and SQ)
Anyway, try these just for fun, and see how you score.

Hi Ursala! I taught self-contained Special Education before I stayed home with my kids. I worked with kids of varying ability levels with a variety of Dx. I worked with a couple of kids with AS...they were two of my "favorite" kids! :) This was interesting to complete from that perspective b/c I was able to so clearly see "my kids" in many of these questions.

--Kristy

So here are my scores...

AQ=8

EQ=63

SQ=35
~Kristy~

Zachary (5 y/o son) -negative labs, no biopsy, gluten-free diet 3/06 with amazing results
*Enterolab testing: auto-immune response, main-Celiac gene/HLA-DQ 2, non-Celiac gluten sensitivity gene/HLA-DQ 3

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!"

--Oh The Places You'll Go
by Dr. Seuss

#51 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hi Ursala! I taught self-contained Special Education before I stayed home with my kids. I worked with kids of varying ability levels with a variety of Dx. I worked with a couple of kids with AS...they were two of my "favorite" kids! :) This was interesting to complete from that perspective b/c I was able to so clearly see "my kids" in many of these questions.

--Kristy

So here are my scores...

AQ=8

EQ=63

SQ=35

Oh no, not another one of those social types! :ph34r: Just kidding. But it seems that maybe I shouldn't come to you to have anything technical fixed. ;)
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: