This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reading Blood Test Results?

Guest NitaB

Guest NitaB

Hi,

I had the upper GI, seemed likely to be celiac, have lesions of celiac type. Then the "reliable" blood test came back negative. I am trying the gluten-free diet, as per the GI Dr., and feel better when I make no mistakes!

Then during my routine check-up, my recent blood test results came back. Does anyone know what these things are, or what they refer to?

Under test (2) CBC, (complete metabolic, I think!)

MPV is low at 6.8 fL, normal is 7.5 - 11.5

EOSINOPHILS % is high at 23.8 %, normal being 0-4

EOSINOPHILS # is high at 1.34 10*3/ml, normal is 0.01-0.5

What do these things indicate? The Dr.'s first results she sent, said I was fine, not anemic. Then I requested a complete print-out. Why if these aren't completely normal, are they okay to be high or low???? I may try to look these up online, but know that can be difficult! I may also have to call back to see what these things are.

Help anyone???? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kalo Rookie

There is a place on line that explains these tests. I know because I found it once. But don't ask me where. LOL I do know that CBC stands for complete blood count. Good luck with getting your answers. Hugs, Carol B

lovegrov Collaborator

Eosinophils are white blood cells that are responsible for combatting infection by parasites that enter the bloodstream.

These cells, transparent in vivo, appear brick-red when stained by the Romanowsky method. The red colour is visible as small granules within the cell. These granules contain histamine, and other chemicals that are toxic to both parasites and the host's tissues.

Eosinophils also play a role in the allergic response, and in fibrin removal in inflammation.

An increase in eosinophils is called an eosinophilia, and is typically seen in people with a parasitic infection of the intestines.

You can find out more by going a google search. But you also need to talk to your doctor and get an explanation from him or her.

richard

Guest NitaB

Richard,

Thank you for your reply! I have tried to find some info online, and can't find anything very definitive! I will just have to call my Dr., who will think I'm being toooooo anxious about this, but can't figure it out on my own! She may think the raised level of eosophils is okay, as she treats me for mild allergies. But, with the digestive disorders, I would like to make sure it's not related to parasites!

Another question. Can parasites cause lesions in the duodenum, or is that still from celiac???? Dumb question, but beings I have contradicting results, I'm just wondering! The lesions look to be from celiac, but blood tests show negative, plus I'm not anemic.

I did find online that MPV has to do wth platelets, and a high count indicates heart issues. Didn't say what a low count was caused from!

Than you anyone who can help!

Nita

GFdoc Apprentice

CBC stands for complete blood count, eosinophils are a subset of the the white blood cells (which you need for attacking infections). A high eosinophil count (your CBC gave you the absolute #, and the % of the white cells- both are elevated) usually means either an allergic problem or a parasitic problem. Your doc can check for parasites by ordering a stool test (ova and parasites) - you'll probably need to submit several different stool samples from different days, as these kinds of infections can be difficult to detect. If you have a parasite, it is easily treated with medication (and I would recommend checking anyone who shares a bed or meals with you if you are positive). I'm not sure if parasites can cause flattened villi (the definition of celiac disease by biopsy).

Mild allergies probably won't cause that large of an increase in Eosinophils...but if you have significant allergies and/or asthma/eczema it could. There is also a condition called eosinophilic esophagitis which has similar symptoms to GERD (acid reflux) - the docs would have seen high # eosinophils in the biopsy of the esophagus (I assume that was done)

You said that your "reliable " celiac disease blood work was negative...did you get checked for IgA deficiency? If your total IgA levels are low, then the celiac disease tests will not be accurate.

Hope this helps...

Sara

Archived