This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worried About My Weight

taz sharratt

taz sharratt Enthusiast

been gluten free now since my diagnoses on may16. my problem is since then ive lost 4lbs . im concerned about how much more weight i can expect to lose, i was 8 and a half stone, i cant afford to keep loseing like this, i am eating, everything from scratch, lots of veg, fish and fruit im worried about my family, my mum allready thinks im too thin when she sees ive lost weight she< think ive got an eating disorder.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Eat some things that are higher in fat so that you get more calories. That should help. You'd have to eat an enormous quantity of fruits and veggies to gain weight. If you have cut out a bunch of high calorie food and have replaced it with the healthier low calorie food, that could contribute to losing more. I must admit, I relied on potato chips in addition to healthy meals to gain weight because I got tired of my dad telling me I was too thin (and I don't even live with him!).

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had a major problem with weight loss. How long have you been gluten free? If you would like you can email me and I can give you some of what I did to help gain it back and I gained over 20 pounds

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I had a major problem with weight loss. How long have you been gluten free? If you would like you can email me and I can give you some of what I did to help gain it back and I gained over 20 pounds

thanx katie, im woried cos i run and i dont want to lose muscle that ive gained, cas im lactose intolerant too its made it doubly difficult, i miss choc, all the fat stuff i use to eat to use as burn off for my training i cant eat anymore, other peoples comments are really naughty, i dread them!!!!!! I just want to\be able to eat something that gives me energy, helps me train and taistes like its worth eating all the fat for ( ha ha)

heathen Apprentice

I totally understand your concerns. i've been gluten-free since February and am still underweight for my height. My gastro doctor is going to yell at me, but i can't seem to gain weight. i guess it's better than the alternative.

corinne Apprentice

Try eating high calorie foods healthy fats for snacks ie a banana smothered with peanut or almond butter, avocados are great. Add some olive oil to steamed veggies.

sleepingbean Newbie

you could switch to good dark belgium chocolate .... that ought to help :)

we eat a lot of nuts and coconut in our foods. It helps keep the weight on :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powderprincess Rookie

How about adding flax seed oil and/or oilive oil to foods? Use it on everything, potatos, salads, etc. It's tasty and high in calories and good fats.

Good luck. and btw I wish people would leave their comments to themselves about weight!

Guest Robbin
How about adding flax seed oil and/or oilive oil to foods? Use it on everything, potatos, salads, etc. It's tasty and high in calories and good fats.

Good luck. and btw I wish people would leave their comments to themselves about weight!

I agree, people should keep their comments to themselves whether someone is overweight or underweight. My son is very skinny and someone made a hurtful comment to him at school and he was so hurt. I am amazed at how rude people can be.

Another tip that is working for my son is that he is eating a snack like cereal or some chips before bed. He's gained 6 pounds this month, which doesn't seem like a lot, but he has been steadily losing for a year, so this is wonderful. Take care and focus on being healthy not just on your weight.

Lauren M Explorer

I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. When people feel the need to point out how "skinny" I am, I say:

It's not socially acceptable to point out how fat someone is, why is it OK to point out that I'm underweight? It hurts my feelings in just the same way.

Usually gets the point across.

- Lauren

penguin Community Regular
I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. When people feel the need to point out how "skinny" I am, I say:

It's not socially acceptable to point out how fat someone is, why is it OK to point out that I'm underweight? It hurts my feelings in just the same way.

- Lauren

I don't know why people need to be so rude, but some people probably think they're complimenting you. Being fat is socially unacceptable, shameful, and unattractive (not my opinion, just the society view), but being thin is lucky! Glamorous! Privilaged!

It's still effin' rude though, especially when you're sick! Sorry people aren't nice :(

schuyler Apprentice
I agree, people should keep their comments to themselves whether someone is overweight or underweight. My son is very skinny and someone made a hurtful comment to him at school and he was so hurt. I am amazed at how rude people can be.

I hate it when people point out my weight. Today, I bought a whole bunch of food at the grocery store, and one of they girls behind me wispered to her friend, "I don't know why she's buying all that food, it's not like she's going to eat it" and the other girl made a comment about how gross I looked. I wanted to tell them that I don't want to look like this, but instead I had to fight back tears. I am getting tougher though :ph34r:

I wish people would just keep their hurtful thoughts to themselves.

- Lauren

I'll try this once I get a backbone (I'm getting better at speaking up, but I'm still not very good). Hopefully soon, I'll have the guts to speak up like that.

I don't know why people need to be so rude, but some people probably think they're complimenting you. Being fat is socially unacceptable, shameful, and unattractive (not my opinion, just the society view), but being thin is lucky! Glamorous! Privilaged!

It's still effin' rude though, especially when you're sick! Sorry people aren't nice :(

If only those people knew how bad I feel sometimes, they would not think that I am lucky, glamorous, or privilaged.

odcdinah Contributor

yes, would be interesting to see how they feel when you politely say that you have a disease that leads to weight loss...

CarlaB Enthusiast
yes, would be interesting to see how they feel when you politely say that you have a disease that leads to weight loss...

Oh, I've used something like that. They say I'm lucky. I say back that if they knew me better they wouldn't think so; my friends don't consider me lucky at all. Or I'll say, really, eat my diet for a week, then tell me how lucky I am. I say it with a joking, lighthearted attitude, I'm only trying to make them think, not pick a fight.

Now that I'm not so thin, but still slender, people tell me how lucky I am to be so thin especially after having all these kids. Maybe I am, since I'm a healthy weight, but I'd rather just be a good weight and not have to eat constantly to be here! The thing is, we are forced to eat healthy with this. If most of them ate healthy, they'd be thinner, too! When you cut out all that processed food, it's hard to put on weight!

If I said anything to those girls behind me I'd have said, "Yea, looks like I never eat, but I have a pretty serious disease that causes me to lose weight. Trust me, every single bite of this will be eaten." At least they'd think next time they made a judgment. And why should you feel bad? They are the ones who should feel bad about the encounter!!

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Oh, I've used something like that. They say I'm lucky. I say back that if they knew me better they wouldn't think so; my friends don't consider me lucky at all. Or I'll say, really, eat my diet for a week, then tell me how lucky I am. I say it with a joking, lighthearted attitude, I'm only trying to make them think, not pick a fight.

Now that I'm not so thin, but still slender, people tell me how lucky I am to be so thin especially after having all these kids. Maybe I am, since I'm a healthy weight, but I'd rather just be a good weight and not have to eat constantly to be here! The thing is, we are forced to eat healthy with this. If most of them ate healthy, they'd be thinner, too! When you cut out all that processed food, it's hard to put on weight!

If I said anything to those girls behind me I'd have said, "Yea, looks like I never eat, but I have a pretty serious disease that causes me to lose weight. Trust me, every single bite of this will be eaten." At least they'd think next time they made a judgment. And why should you feel bad? They are the ones who should feel bad about the encounter!!

thanx everyone for your comments, ive gone to dark choc and its lovely i snack on it at night and i think its helping me when i trane the folowing morning, im still struglling with naughty peoples comments but im learning to ignore a lot of it although i am worried that one day im\gonna snap and really tell someone off, ive opted for a high protien diet that way im hopeing to gain muscle rather than fat, lots of fish, meat, nuts and energy drinks along with my gluten-free diet, give it a try and see what happens. cheers everyone

lorka150 Collaborator

taz - when i first was diagnosed, i had one speck of gluten (from one product) sneaking in for 6 months. i was a very fit runner, and lost about 45lbs... Not matter what I did, it wouldn't come back on. I got extremely ill, had to use a cane, and could hardly walk or lift my body up.

Just be really careful. It was really hard to be be able to be active, and because you already started losing, it's tough! :)

taz sharratt Enthusiast
taz - when i first was diagnosed, i had one speck of gluten (from one product) sneaking in for 6 months. i was a very fit runner, and lost about 45lbs... Not matter what I did, it wouldn't come back on. I got extremely ill, had to use a cane, and could hardly walk or lift my body up.

Just be really careful. It was really hard to be be able to be active, and because you already started losing, it's tough! :)

oh god, that sounds scary, ill be carefull of what im doing now. thanx for the advise.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I feel your pain for sure I have been gluten free for 5 years, and done fine main tainin my weight until recently, my stomach constantly hurts again, and I am losing weight I am down to 100 and at my healthiest I weighed 114 so I get so scared somethin else is wrong with me, I eat ALL The time and I stopped eatin just salads and went for higher calorie foods like, peanutbutter sandwhiches and junkier stuff If you find out how to gain I WOULD love to know I hate people thinkin I try to look like this! I was tryin on dresses the other day and I lady said, " I guess they dont make dresses in negative numbers" I mean no one would say that to someone overweight and I dont understand why they think its alright to say it to someone who is under!

powderprincess Rookie
I was tryin on dresses the other day and I lady said, " I guess they dont make dresses in negative numbers" I mean no one would say that to someone overweight and I dont understand why they think its alright to say it to someone who is under!

ugh! That's an awful thing to say. I hope you feel better and putting some weight on soon. In the meantime, it should be legal to slap people for such comments. Snide comments like that stem from other people's insecurities being projected. It's not cool.

An ex-coworker used to be such a pain. She would publicly claim I "must not eat dinner" since I would eat huge lunches. Little did I know the damage caused by said lunches at the time. I ended up not eating in the lunchroom after so many snide comments.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

My husband's been very thin all his life.

He has now put on a little bit of weight on in the 2 yrs he's been G.F,after being dx at 40 yrs old, but his biggest problem is that he has very low appetite.

He hardly ever wants to eat (the only time I've heard him say ''I'm starving'' was when he was on Steroids!)

He's not happy with being so thin but says he can't eat if he's not hungry :(

I actually think alot of his problems are psychological with food.I suspect he has had celiac disease (undiagnosed)most of his life and has made an unconscious connection with

'I eat-I feel crap'

He was also always a very fussy eater,would rarely eat anything he didn't make himself,and wasn't too keen on eating out.This is before his dx of celiac disease!!

I remember once he had cut his hair short with the electric clippers.

His brother said ''what did you have your hair cut like that for?It makes you look like a concentration camp victim''

Really nice eh,who needs enemies with family like that?

It makes me so angry people think they are so perfect they can make derogatory remarks about others,without knowing or understanding the first thing about them :angry:

par18 Apprentice
I totally understand your concerns. i've been gluten-free since February and am still underweight for my height. My gastro doctor is going to yell at me, but i can't seem to gain weight. i guess it's better than the alternative.

Hi,

Did you actually stop losing weight since going gluten-free? For me the first step was to stop the loss and then I concentrated on gaining. I think after only a few days on the diet my weight stopped going down and stabilized. All the while I was eating about 3000 calories a day while doing very little exercise other than short walks. After a few weeks I started to do a little more in the way of walking. I continued to eat a lot not being sure how much was being absorbed. After about 10 weeks of steady eating with none of the previous gastro symptoms I had gained about 10 lbs.This was about a year ago. I am very active now so I still eat a fair amount of calories every day to maintain my current weight. I started this diet in May 2005 and at that time was 6'1" and weighed 147 lbs. Today I am between 175-180 and feel very fit. Anyone on this diet needs to know how many calories they need for the weight they would like to be. The RD I went to in the beginning said based on my age and height I should weigh approx 175 lbs. The calorie intake for that person was about 2800 a day. That is why I had to eat so much. The key to gaining is to eat more often but not large amounts at one time. For me this meant eating something every 2-3 hours. I just tried to get into a routine and stick with it and it worked. I was fortunate in that I had no glutening incidents since I started. I also must have healed rather quickly. Good luck.

Tom

schuyler Apprentice
I was tryin on dresses the other day and I lady said, " I guess they dont make dresses in negative numbers" I mean no one would say that to someone overweight and I dont understand why they think its alright to say it to someone who is under!

I hate mean people :angry: Just this week, I dropped to 100 lbs (at just under 5'9"), so I know how you feel. I'm so sorry that people are mean to you.

skinnyminny Enthusiast
I hate mean people :angry: Just this week, I dropped to 100 lbs (at just under 5'9"), so I know how you feel. I'm so sorry that people are mean to you.

Yea, some people I just don't think they stop to think before they talk... I am at 100 too and I am 5'7" i think we will both pick it up, and I wish you good luck and eat as much as you can :)

par18 Apprentice
My husband's been very thin all his life.

He has now put on a little bit of weight on in the 2 yrs he's been G.F,after being dx at 40 yrs old, but his biggest problem is that he has very low appetite.

He hardly ever wants to eat (the only time I've heard him say ''I'm starving'' was when he was on Steroids!)

He's not happy with being so thin but says he can't eat if he's not hungry :(

I actually think alot of his problems are psychological with food.I suspect he has had celiac disease (undiagnosed)most of his life and has made an unconscious connection with

'I eat-I feel crap'

He was also always a very fussy eater,would rarely eat anything he didn't make himself,and wasn't too keen on eating out.This is before his dx of celiac disease!!

I remember once he had cut his hair short with the electric clippers.

His brother said ''what did you have your hair cut like that for?It makes you look like a concentration camp victim''

Really nice eh,who needs enemies with family like that?

It makes me so angry people think they are so perfect they can make derogatory remarks about others,without knowing or understanding the first thing about them :angry:

Hi Nikki,

I know how your husband feels about not having an appetite. In the beginning of my diet when I was so underweight I had absolutely no appetite. I was sure depression had a lot to do with it. You know what I did? I ate anyway because I knew I would never gain weight if I did not. For the first couple of months I made sure I ate something every few hours. I would never eat too much but always ate all of whatever it was that I fixed. It seemed all I was doing was eating. I usually had three meals and 2 snacks every day. The body responded almost immediately to the gluten-free diet. I had no gastro symptoms so I must have healed rather quickly. Even today over 13 months after being on the diet I still don't have much of an appetite but try to never miss a meal. I gave up the snacks for the most part unless I am very active in which case I will have something. I don't wait until I get hungry to eat. I think the past year or so has conditioned my body to accept the food at pretty much the same time each day. I had never been able to gain weight for most of my life until I started the gluten-free diet. I guess I wanted to see if I could gain weight if I really tried. I could. Good luck.

Tom

lorka150 Collaborator

skinnyminny - i know how you feel! i am also 5'7'' and my lowest was 78lbs. When I got up to about 105, I was SO proud of myself... But sometimes it's so shattering to think how far I have come, but then some jerk makes a comment when I am out doing errands. It's almost debilitating... I'm proud of myself and STILL getting berated! I get over it quickly, but at the time it still stings. B)

Archived