This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worried About My Weight

taz sharratt

megzmc3611 Rookie

"I hate it when people point out my weight. Today, I bought a whole bunch of food at the grocery store, and one of they girls behind me wispered to her friend, "I don't know why she's buying all that food, it's not like she's going to eat it" and the other girl made a comment about how gross I looked. I wanted to tell them that I don't want to look like this, but instead I had to fight back tears. I am getting tougher though"

I was in my work cafeteria using the microwave to heat up my lunch and one of the women who works in the cafe yelled across the room (with several people in the room eating lunch) "Wow, she actually eats!"

I was so embarrassed and upset. Just because I do not eat food from the cafeteria and I am thin, she assumed that I have some kind of eating disorder. And whenever I am cold I get the usual "well, if you put some meat on your bones!"...that one angers me the most!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
"I hate it when people point out my weight. Today, I bought a whole bunch of food at the grocery store, and one of they girls behind me wispered to her friend, "I don't know why she's buying all that food, it's not like she's going to eat it" and the other girl made a comment about how gross I looked. I wanted to tell them that I don't want to look like this, but instead I had to fight back tears. I am getting tougher though"

I was in my work cafeteria using the microwave to heat up my lunch and one of the women who works in the cafe yelled across the room (with several people in the room eating lunch) "Wow, she actually eats!"

I was so embarrassed and upset. Just because I do not eat food from the cafeteria and I am thin, she assumed that I have some kind of eating disorder. And whenever I am cold I get the usual "well, if you put some meat on your bones!"...that one angers me the most!

that would drive me nuts. I know I'll NEVER have that problem, since I run on the opposite end of weight problems, but if I were in that situation, I would probably snap! I would likely say something like, "listen lady, I have a disease that makes me this thin, and it'll kill me if I'm not careful. I could eat half a cow and a field of corn for lunch and I wouldn't put on a pound because I can't absorb nutrients. I CAN"t put meat on my bones, I'd love to, but I can't. I'd rather be pudgy then have to spend my free time in a bathroom, writhing in pain, or being bloated to the size of a blimp. Comments like that are really hurtful. I don't come up to you while you're at your desk and yell so that everyone can hear 'wow! she actually stopped eating!'"

Again, I'd never have that problem, but thanks for the perspective. Now I know that it sucks just as bad as being ridiculed for being overweight :)

skinnyminny Enthusiast
skinnyminny - i know how you feel! i am also 5'7'' and my lowest was 78lbs. When I got up to about 105, I was SO proud of myself... But sometimes it's so shattering to think how far I have come, but then some jerk makes a comment when I am out doing errands. It's almost debilitating... I'm proud of myself and STILL getting berated! I get over it quickly, but at the time it still stings. B)

Aw my lowest is like 98 or something, I have actually done good, and maintained about 115 for like 3 years but all the sudden ive lost like 15 pounds over the course of 2 years, and it just doesn't make sense I am completely gluten free and thought I had trouble with dairy so now I take a lactaid or eat lactaid ice cream or drink lactaid milk. It just doesn't make sense about the weight loss, maybe I am suppose to be this size. My dad is thin, but I am proud of your 105 too its hard and not everyone understands how hard you really work at it, and its all I think about because I get so many comments about how thin I am.

CeliaCruz Rookie
I was tryin on dresses the other day and I lady said, " I guess they dont make dresses in negative numbers" I mean no one would say that to someone overweight and I dont understand why they think its alright to say it to someone who is under!

Besides being innapropriate, that is just so stupid! Most people feel tremendously insecure when they buy clothes and if you work in retail you are really not supposed to say anything to anyone who is trying on clothes that isn't something along the lines of "you look fabulous" or "let's try a different size" or "a belt would look great with that!" You're supposed to sell clothes and if you're making someone feel crappy about their body, they're not going to buy anything.

That is so inappropriate, it's not worth getting upset over. Okay, maybe this is mean of me, but I'd probably make a point of staring at this woman's fat a$$ (you know she has one or thinks she has one if she's making comments like that!) and going, "uh, yeah, jealous much?" and then I'd pull a giant juicy steak out of my tupperware container and eat it voraciously.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Besides being innapropriate, that is just so stupid! Most people feel tremendously insecure when they buy clothes and if you work in retail you are really not supposed to say anything to anyone who is trying on clothes that isn't something along the lines of "you look fabulous" or "let's try a different size" or "a belt would look great with that!" You're supposed to sell clothes and if you're making someone feel crappy about their body, they're not going to buy anything.

That is so inappropriate, it's not worth getting upset over. Okay, maybe this is mean of me, but I'd probably make a point of staring at this woman's fat a$$ (you know she has one or thinks she has one if she's making comments like that!) and going, "uh, yeah, jealous much?" and then I'd pull a giant juicy steak out of my tupperware container and eat it voraciously.

celia i like what you said, when people make nasty remarks its usually cos thier jelouse so you should trun the tables on them. great stuff !!!!

eleep Enthusiast

taz --

I had to take about a month and a half away from running myself in order to get my weight back up -- it was really hard for me to stop pushing myself and relax, but I'm really glad I did because I was getting severely underweight and stressed out (My last big glutening took a bunch of pounds off -- that was before I'd discovered Immodium). That time helped me to build enough weight and bodily stability back up that I've finally been able to slowly work my way back into my regular running/weights/yoga routine (I did keep doing the yoga throughout, however).

I definitely felt the same anxiety about losing muscle mass that you've expressed -- and I did lose some, but it's coming back and I feel like the time off has helped me be more grounded for the long haul.

Ash82 Rookie

i have just been diagnosed with celiac disease and have also lost over 20lbs from my already fairly thin frame. I looked on genisoys web site and they sent me a list of all the protein bars and shakes that are gluten free. there may be some that are dairy free. soy protein is always good. or eat a ton of beans and chicken. either way, the protein will help you keep muscle and depending on how much of it you eat, you could gain weight because after a certain point your body really cant use all the protein you are taking in and converts it so it can be stored. thats what im doing because i also run and lift weights and i dont want to lose all the muscle i have build. so far its working okay.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
taz --

.... but I'm really glad I did because I was getting severely underweight and stressed out (My last big glutening took a bunch of pounds off -- that was before I'd discovered Immodium).

Open Original Shared Link

zip2play Apprentice

I am sorry you guys are having such problems. MEAN PEOPLE SUCK, plain and simple. I have always been heavy and let me tell you, the mean comments are not saved for just the thinner people. Weight is such a personal private issue. Whether too big or too small, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Unfortunately, it does go both ways.

I have seen the looks of people, back when I was heavier. The look of, YOU ARE EATING AGAIN!?!?!?

How about this, keep it all to yourself!

I hope each of you gets the help you need!

Monica

• 2 weeks later...
Dannybex Newbie

Hi, I'm new to this group -- this is actually my first post.

A quick intro: I'm disabled from CFIDS (or CFS) and have just started feeling like I'm getting fibromyalgia in my shoulders, and my right arm in the past few months.

I'm extremely thin too -- 6'2" and 155 -- and just now wondering if I may have gluten intolerance. (I tested weakly positive on one of the tests a few years back so my doc said "no".)

Anyway, in the various posts regarding weight loss, I've never read anything about the possibility of a parasite infection. They are a lot more common in the USA than most people realize...

Also, many of the suggestions to gain weight mention Ensure or other drinks loaded with artificial chemicals and colors, not to mention being high in sugar. I have a candida problem, so refined carbs like sugar are off the list for me, although I have some white rice occasionally.

Candida by the way, can also cause weight loss. As can other fungal or yeast infections, that's why I'm wary of eating peanuts -- very fattening, but also high in fungal aflatoxins. Maybe I'm being too paranoid! :lol:

And both parasites and candida infections can explain the loss of appetite.

Interesting how on other threads people are complaining about GAINING weight :) after starting a gluten-free diet. I WOULD LOVE TO GAIN WEIGHT and restore lost muscle!

Hoping to hear of some more natural suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

taz sharratt Enthusiast

dannybex, hi im sorry your feeling so bed, i suffer with severe thrush as well but since being gluten-free ive been thrush free since and life is fab, i can cope with the restrictions on my diet cos i know i wont get thrush, the pain, sornes, fatigue and the bleeding of thrush was too much for me to bare but now thank to gluten-free diet ive been clean and sober gor 2 months,my weight is another mattter, ive had people asking if im ok and am i anerexic, are you eating they ask. its annoying to say the least. your doing the best you can with the cards your delt with, just eat the best you can for you. good luck

WELCOME DAN! This is a wonderful place to get help. There are a lot of loving helpful people here. You are in the right place.

Find out what else you are intolerant of, get tested. and then avoid them, but ROTATING your diet is a big important step so you will not develop (so fast) secondary food intolerance/allergies. You see [we all do] as time passes.

And the tests all become expensive when you do all of them like parasites and candida testing too. But if only for a piece of mind important to rule out.

READ the book "DANGEROUS GRAINS" It will save your life! If you can find one in the book store, call your local library they will borrow it through an inter library loan. Just call and ask. Open Original Shared Link

Ensure is a no no , it has SOY in it. Soy is very very bad for us with celiac disease. There are people in denial, don't be one of them, it will cause you your health as time passes. SOY - It is in the deadly 8 allergens -dairy, corn, soy, wheat, peanuts... There is a reason, they are bad for us with little value. Try other nuts instead of peanuts.

This is a great place to find help.

All of us are differenet. I have found that alternative treatments help. I see my chiropractor 2 times a week. I'm also looking into acupuncture. But what has worked for me, I don't skip meals. I eat a large (dinner type) meal in the morning, and lunch time, but not a huge meal at night. I keep a food journal to keep track of everything that goes in and OUT of my body. It will help you understand and retace when you have become reactive to something and don't know why. I know it sounds like a lot a work; but worth every minute.

Be well!

schuyler Apprentice

It's official; I snapped. It happened Sunday morning when I went to babysit, and the mom, in front of a large group of her friends, announced, "Oh my gosh, you look so thin and sick." She then came over, grabbed my arm and declared that my arm looked anorexic. So, I replied, "Yes, my arm is refusing to eat." She kept looking at me, and then she came over and gave me a hug, and I could tell that she was trying to feel my bones. Then, one of the friends came over with a plate of cookies, and told me that I HAD to eat one, I kept telling her that I was intolerant to them, but she didn't listen and shoved one into my mouth. At that point, I flipped and told them that eating cookies could kill me, and that it is extremely rude to comment about someones weight (I would not have been upset if she had asked me if I was okay in private; but she really embarrased me). I went on for about 5 minutes, and by the time I was done, the whole room was completely silent, and everyone was staring at me.

Needless to say, I am not welcome back at that house again :ph34r:

Normally, I would not have spoken up, but I have had enough of people making rude comments. It felt really good to stand up for myself.

If only I had the guts to stand up to my mom. She was offended last night when I refused to eat the cheesy dinner that she had made (I've been off dairy for 2 months, and she knows that). She yelled at me that I can't just take myself off of everything, because I look like I'm starving to death. I know she's just being a worried mom, but she doesn't understand how bad some foods make me feel (if she felt the pains that I did, she would take herself off the foods as well). I'll have to be careful when I stand up to her (which I plan on doing next time she makes a comment).

ebrbetty Rising Star

I get the same thing about being too thin, but only in the winter..once summer hits ppl see that I'm toned from weightlifting and are very surprised when they see me, especially my arms..they'll even say things like "oh I thought you were just a skinny little stick, didn't know you lifted weights" :o

so, maybe getting into a good weight lifting routine would be a benefit all around, not just to shut up the rude ppl but also to make you feel better all around.

schuyler -- I'm so sorry you had to go through this. We all do... It's part of celiac disease.

That person that put the ccokie in your mouth, needed a good slap! Italian-Style! No really, did you have a reaction to the crumbs?

Invite the people/ your mother/ family members into the bathroom and show them what is inside the toilet. Let them see and smell steatorrhea diarrhea or what you are actually experiencing.

Hand out a copy of the book DANGEROUS GRAINS to your family members. Give them out as gift, Birthday, Mothers day, Fathers day, Bosses day, Xmas, or whatever. If they seem disapointed in your gift. Too bad! Let them know how disappointed you are in having to live with celiac disease and their LACK OF COMPASSIONATE LOVE FOR U! It will open their eyes if they open the pages and read.

Better yet, do like I do, have a seizure in front of them.

I wish I saved the thread, but I think it was KaitieUSA that told a story once how her girlfriends ordered pizza when they knew she is a Celiac. She sprinkled DRANO on her piece of pizza and said something like, "This is what it does to me!" I wish she would tell the story again, because it really made an impact on others.

schuyler Apprentice
schuyler -- I'm so sorry you had to go through this. We all do... It's part of celiac disease.

That person that put the ccokie in your mouth, needed a good slap! Italian-Style! No really, did you have a reaction to the crumbs?

Invite the people/ your mother/ family members into the bathroom and show them what is inside the toilet. Let them see and smell steatorrhea diarrhea or what you are actually experiencing.

Hand out a copy of the book DANGEROUS GRAINS to your family members. Give them out as gift, Birthday, Mothers day, Fathers day, Bosses day, Xmas, or whatever. If they seem disapointed in your gift. Too bad! Let them know how disappointed you are in having to live with celiac disease and their LACK OF COMPASSIONATE LOVE FOR U! It will open their eyes if they open the pages and read.

Better yet, do like I do, have a seizure in front of them.

I wish I saved the thread, but I think it was KaitieUSA that told a story once how her girlfriends ordered pizza when they knew she is a Celiac. She sprinkled DRANO on her piece of pizza and said something like, "This is what it does to me!" I wish she would tell the story again, because it really made an impact on others.

I'm still reacting to the cookie crumbs :angry:

I really like the seizure idea, that will show them how serious this is (I have had seizures in the past, and I know they really scare my family).

The Drano idea is pretty awesome too, maybe I'll do something like that next time someone tries to force me to eat something that I can't have.

Archived