This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Thought Gin Was Safe?

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

I was just curious about this brand of gin because i drank it all the time before DX. Then I got this email from them. I thought Gin was on the safe list?!

"Thank you for your inquiry. As per your request, please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the gin does derive from grain, corn, wheat, and rye. Therefore, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE and BOMBAY ORIGINAL Gins may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown. If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued patronage.

Best Regards,

Consumer Services

The Bombay Spirits Company U.S.A. "

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
I was just curious about this brand of gin because i drank it all the time before DX. Then I got this email from them. I thought Gin was on the safe list?!

"Thank you for your inquiry. As per your request, please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the gin does derive from grain, corn, wheat, and rye. Therefore, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE and BOMBAY ORIGINAL Gins may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown. If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued patronage.

Best Regards,

Consumer Services

The Bombay Spirits Company U.S.A. "

Well lets not knock a company for being honest... personally I prefer a we can't guarantee that platitiudes.

On another thread I just said as much so I stick to tequila, white rum and the like .. avoid anything with coloring or anything derived from grain alcohol.

The question of what is 'safe' and not is a personal question, noone can answer it definitively the important thing is to do as you have done and make an informed choice ... three cheers to Bombay for being upfront.

I will personally buy Bombay products for others when buying a round but not avoid them myself. Hopefully they will get the custom their honesty deserves and we all stay safe.

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

Well, I guess that may explain why I've felt like s@#t since Monday morning. I figured I had a delayed reaction to something from Sunday night but thought it was butter that I suspected was used in my meal. I did have Bombay Sapphire gin though. I never even drank gin often (I prefer rum or vodka) but thought gin was a safe choice. :blink:

IrishLisa Newbie

That's strange! After going gluten-free I contacted Bombay Sapphire as I was concerned that their products might contain gluten. I received this reply approx. 2 months ago.

Many thanks for your query. Bombay gins do

not contain cereal nor cereal components as

ingredients. Therefore, they can be

declared "gluten free" according to Codex

standards.

Kindest regards,

www.bombaysapphire.com

ehrin Explorer

Was bummed to hear about Sapphire, as I love my gin -

so I just e-mailed tanqueray today and just got this response!

May 31, 2006

Dear Ms. Ehrin Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding glutens in beverage

alcohol products, specifically Tanqueray.

Please be advised that Tanqueray products, which have been distilled, do not

contain glutens or gluten residues. However, as this relates to a medical

condition, may we suggest that you consult your own physician concerning the

consumption of beverage alcohol products. Tanqueray is gluten free.

Once again, thank you for contacting us, and we hope the information

provided has been helpful.

Sincerely

Chris R.

Tanqueray Consumer Care Representative

hez Enthusiast

I love a gin and tonic with lime in the summer. I use Tanqueray and enjoy it. I have heard that some gins add flavoring after the distillation process. This might be what Bombay is doing.

Hez

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

has anybody had a gluten reaction to drinking bombay gin before? I definitely reacted to something over the weekend seeing as how I'm still out of it but am not positive it was the gin since I also ate out for the first time in months... the statement from bombay seems like a disclaimer, and I'm not sure if gluten would actually be present in the finished product or if it is distilled out...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

The Bombay response sounds like a typical CYA disclaimer to me.

Distilled alcohol is gluten-free regardless of the source. Only if gluten were added after distillation would there be a concern. This is the case with some coolers and all "malt beverages" but should not be a problem with regular spirits.

Cheers!

gfp Enthusiast
The Bombay response sounds like a typical CYA disclaimer to me.

Distilled alcohol is gluten-free regardless of the source. Only if gluten were added after distillation would there be a concern. This is the case with some coolers and all "malt beverages" but should not be a problem with regular spirits.

Cheers!

Technically speaking there is no such thing as distilled alcohol only distilled alcohol, water mix. Pure alcohol can only be obtained by taking this mix and passing it through a drying agent, usually concentrated sulfuric acid.

See

Open Original Shared Link

Archived