Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Will The Blood Test Turn Out Negative?

2 posts in this topic

Hi I got a phone call from my dietishin today and found out that I have to get a blood test done (i was only clinical dxby my doc) to test for celiac . I was gluten-free sence march 19,2004.If I go on gluten for a month with that be enough time to show the damage in the blood or will it show up neg. thanks .

Ads by Google:

Forget the blood test. Do the stool test at enterolabs.com. Much more reliable and it doesn't matter that you have been gluten-free. Hugs, Carol B (anxiously awaiting her results from enterolab)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Might have Celiac.. so many symptoms and pain!
      It is too bad the doctor didn't advise you to take the blood tests before going gluten free.  There is a chance they could still be positive.....  But a good chance that being gluten-free for weeks will make them negative.   I Have not seen any medical evidence that Celiac disease is caused  by any other disease. It is a genetic auto immune disease.     Perhaps you should read some info from reliable source s like the Univ of Chicago Celiac Center?   http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-much-gluten-should-be-consumed-prior-to-being-screened-for-celiac-disease/
      I have a requisition for blood tests, but there is no way that I am going back on gluten. The cramps and pain is horrendous. I've only been off for a couple weeks, and I'm also doing the IgG tests, not really sure what those will show.  I have suffered with hypoglycemia in the past, and when I wasn't overweight and always dieting, I guess celiac maybe didn't rear it's ugly head... until after I went through something difficult in my life and started eating more carbs and then gained weight. I was never officially diagnosed with diabetes, but have been in the "pre-diabetes' range for a while. And I read that Celiac is either caused by PCOS or PCOS causes Celiac... not sure...  
      Welcome Jane! If you seriously suspect celiac disease, you should get tested (blood test), but that means you must be eating gluten.  Even being gluten-free for as little as a few weeks can impact your tests results.  Here's more information: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ In the meantime, it sounds like your blood sugar is wonky.  How often do you check your blood sugar?  Do you have a meter?   This is a good site that you might find helpful with your diabetes: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/ I hope you feel better soon! 
      Hello. This is my first post. I am at my wits end at this point. I've been experiencing some pretty crazy symptoms and although I don't have a diagnosis yet, I suspect I may have Celiac. A few months ago I threw up after eating some pasta, I felt like I was going to pass out actually and it felt like I was going to die! I thought it was food poisoning..  Then I had some VERY BAD fatigue... I was driving once and I literally wanted to get out of the car and lie down on the pavement! It happened again about 3 weeks ago, I was in the store and fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks.. I had to leave!  I have been trying to lose weight so I stopped eating all wheat, bread, etc.... well what happened truly scared me. I take Metformin for PCOS/pre-diabetes by the way. Anyway, I woke up had something to eat and an hour later felt like I was going to collapse. My heart was beating so fast, thought I was having a heart attack! I went to the doctor and I nearly passed out again in the office, they gave me some sugar to bring up my blood sugar and then I felt okay. My neck feels swollen, and like there is something in my throat...  So I've been off gluten/wheat/bread/pasta..etc. for about 2 weeks. At first I felt kind of okay, hmmm... but now I am entering week 3 and I feel like I'm dying! The hunger is still bad... although not as horrendous as before stopping gluten... but the hunger just doesn't want to calm down. I eat and less than an hour later I'm hungry again.  Can someone provide some advice, thoughts, anything at this point that can help me figure out what to do next... I'm losing my mind and I feel so depressed    
    • Milling vs buying gluten-free flour
      Okay then you have a clean grain mill & can go to town. I have only done rice in mine because I found that either my husband or myself don't really car for the consistency or flavors imparted by things like coconut flour, nut flours, pea or bean flours. Mostly the hubs is the big stick in the wheel. I like nut flours but he doesn't. For rice flours, I would say it's cheaper to mill them but it's also messier & more time consuming. I understand my NutriMill is far less messy than most millers (according to reviews) but it's still messy. In fact, I take it outside when I'm going to use it & let the mess be out there until all the grinding is done. So for me, it's a trade off & I would say about even steven.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jen5632