- - - - -

Article Deadline Coming Up

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

I write a regular article for my co op's newsletter and the deadline is just a few days away and I'm having writers block as to what to write about! My topics are usually seasonal and related to living with the gluten free diet and issues with children and families and such... I've written about birthday parties, back to school, traveling, living with non celiacs, hidden glutens, vegetarian and gluten-free, and many more... I'm running out of ideas! This issue will come out in August... HELP!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

How about "How to have a gluten free Cook-out". You can talk about how charcoal has gluten to bind it together, talk about marinades, bbq sauces, cross contamination with grills, throw in a few recipes for potato salad, pasta salad, and maybe a marinade and call it good :)
Good luck!
-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

that's a great one! keep em coming! (I have to write an article every two months so I'm always looking for ideas)

especially ideas from the celiac community! I wanna hear what you guys would like to read about!

http://www.lifegroce...0AKHLBD3C4A30TE

this link will take you to their home page, on the right side of the page you can click on the links for the newsletters, my articles are usually on the back page

#4 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

I had cook-out too...

Other than that, how about gluten-free beauty supplies?

Smoothie and ice cream recipes for the dog days of summer?

The art of gluten-free online shopping?

Celiac celebrities?

History of celiac?

gluten-free in collegiate and/or work situations?

Celiac-friendly cocktails (inc. the distillation process)?
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#5 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:03 PM

so far cooking out seems to be the winner... keep em coming! Great Ideas!!!

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

so far cooking out seems to be the winner... keep em coming! Great Ideas!!!

I realy like the cook out idea so much that its giving me writers block LOL

- Vincent -

#7 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

I realy like the cook out idea so much that its giving me writers block LOL

LOL!!!! you too funny!

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:18 PM

camping! how to deal with gluten free foods camping, both backbacking or car camping. (whole foods, tillamook, and oberto all make gluten-free beef jerky, if you don't want to make your own!)

since it's every two months, the cookout idea could be 4th of july themed, even!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:24 PM

camping! how to deal with gluten free foods camping, both backbacking or car camping. (whole foods, tillamook, and oberto all make gluten-free beef jerky, if you don't want to make your own!)

since it's every two months, the cookout idea could be 4th of july themed, even!

interesting... I haven't gone camping since I was a kid, so I would have to write this from someone else's perspective... would you want to be interviewed if I do an article on camping? Do you have recipes to cook over a campfire? (or camp stove?) or recipes for gluten-free trail mix? Maybe this could be a smaller part of a larger article on summer activities... (or not just summer...)

this issue won't come out til August, so a 4th of July theme would be too late... but great idea! Wish I'd thought of this one for the issue that just came out! (This month's is on Vegetarians and the gluten-free diet)

#10 SuperBeck

SuperBeck

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

How about an article that provides cost-saving ideas for buying gluten-free foods? I'm FLOORED by how much everything costs in the stores: the Xantham gum, flours, and gluten-free snacks ... it's ridiculous! Other than Whole Foods I don't know ANYTHING about buying from other sources. In fact, it's daunting looking at the amt of online souces for gluten-free foods. I know there are many, but where does a person start? And how do you know what brands to trust, or what products to try?

OOOHHHH! got another idea: How about the Newly Diagnosed celiac disease's guide to restocking the pantry? What staples can we get (e.g. snacks, pasta, soups, convenience box meals) that are gluten-free, and where can we get them for cheap?

Ooooh, and another, how about Restocking the baker's cupboard? I am a baker and I will NOT let it break my heart that I'm no longer able to use flour. BUT where do I start to buy supplies? And there are so many flours!!!! What on earth are these flours, I've only ever used self-raising and all purpose ... what are the best gluten-free equivalents? Do I need to replace baking soda, powder, corn starch, cocoa, chocolate too? Tips for storage, like I would have never known to store my rice flour in the fridge, but other flours don't need refrigeration. Maybe Flour 101 could be another topic?

AND another: How about gluten-free at School, a Parent's Guide to Teaching the Teacher Celiac

>|< SuperBeck

#11 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Okay, this is a very personal one for me, so I don't expect you to champion it , but: how about public elementary schools making instrumental music MANDATORY for all students, instead of either pull-outs or after school?

Here in PA, the teachers whine about having to get the children ready to perform well on standardized tests, so they totally fight having children pulled out of their classes for instrumental music. One teacher at my son's elementary school said that it should be banned from the building, amd that if parents want their childrent to have music lessons, they should do it on their own time and pay for it!

They just don't seem to understand that learning an instrument teaches a child reading skills, language skills, math skills, listening skills--and if you check any public high school's list of National Merit Scholars (the ones who perform really well on the PSAT), it's usually identical to the school's orchestra roster!

One more item as food for thought: when I was in high shcool, instead of "hanging out" at the malls, I was playing string quartets with my friends, and playing for church services and nursing homes...classical music promotes good citizenship! :)

#12 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

Thank you Super Beck!!! Great ideas! After a little while I'm going to print out this thread so I have all of these great ideas!!! You guys are the bestest!

and please if you get a chance check out their website and the articles I've already written and let me know what you think! I'm on a mission to help the Celiac community!

Okay, this is a very personal one for me, so I don't expect you to champion it , but: how about public elementary schools making instrumental music MANDATORY for all students, instead of either pull-outs or after school?

Here in PA, the teachers whine about having to get the children ready to perform well on standardized tests, so they totally fight having children pulled out of their classes for instrumental music. One teacher at my son's elementary school said that it should be banned from the building, amd that if parents want their childrent to have music lessons, they should do it on their own time and pay for it!

They just don't seem to understand that learning an instrument teaches a child reading skills, language skills, math skills, listening skills--and if you check any public high school's list of National Merit Scholars (the ones who perform really well on the PSAT), it's usually identical to the school's orchestra roster!

One more item as food for thought: when I was in high shcool, instead of "hanging out" at the malls, I was playing string quartets with my friends, and playing for church services and nursing homes...classical music promotes good citizenship! :)

this is a great cause, unfortunately my articles have to be about Celiac or the gluten free diet/lifestyle... if I had another avenue that I could submit an article to, this would be a great cause to champion though. I agree with you too... We are teaching my daughter to play drums...

#13 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

Whoops! I was thinking apartment co-op, not food co-op--and then "back to school" kinda flashed at me. Sorry! (rim shot?)

#14 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:49 AM

I guess mine goes along the lines of the newly diagnosed - what utensils/kitchen items need replaced (toaster, colander, etc.)? Or helpful hints for celiac children - how to deal with school lunches? sleepovers? birthday parties? field trips?

#15 amybeth

amybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:58 AM

hmmm - -

packing a picnic gluten-free

a romantic dinner for someone who is gluten-free

summer camp/sleep away camp and maintaining gluten-free lifestyle

light gluten-free "summer" desserts

celiac friendly destinations

taking a cruise and remaining gluten-free

purse/briefcase friendly snacks for those impromptu gatherings, food-based rewards, etc. at work

let me think some more
Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset
Symptoms for 4+ years prior
Immediate family tests negative
No Known family members w/ celiac disease

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: