12 replies to this topic

#1 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

As I venture more into the baking world, I'm wondering what gluten-free flours can be substituted with other gluten-free flours? I went out and bought innumerable different flours. Now in various recipes they will call for one of the flour variations (e.g. teff or millet) that I do not have. Does anyone out there have a basic chart or guideline for substituting flours? I know that the make-up of each flour varies with different levels of fat, protein, etc., so I know that you can't just substitute sorghum for rice flour necessarily. Some recipes will say soy or sorghum flour, etc. I hate to go out and buy the one or two flours that I do not have just for one recipe. However, I haven't done much baking yet and prefer to make most gluten-free recipes exactly as the recipe calls for... at least the first time around before I "tweak" and make my own variations to it. Does anyone have any advice or guidelines that would be helpful?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Green12

Green12

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

As I venture more into the baking world, I'm wondering what gluten-free flours can be substituted with other gluten-free flours? I went out and bought innumerable different flours. Now in various recipes they will call for one of the flour variations (e.g. teff or millet) that I do not have. Does anyone out there have a basic chart or guideline for substituting flours? I know that the make-up of each flour varies with different levels of fat, protein, etc., so I know that you can't just substitute sorghum for rice flour necessarily. Some recipes will say soy or sorghum flour, etc. I hate to go out and buy the one or two flours that I do not have just for one recipe. However, I haven't done much baking yet and prefer to make most gluten-free recipes exactly as the recipe calls for... at least the first time around before I "tweak" and make my own variations to it. Does anyone have any advice or guidelines that would be helpful?

Hi mac3

I don't know specifically an answer to your question.

I am wondering if Carol Fenster's cookbooks/baking books might have conversion charts for all of the different gluten-free flour substitutions.

If nobody else knows it might be something to look into.

#3 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

Some substitutions from Carol Fenster's Gluten Free 101:

Instead of almond meal use same amount of finely ground pecans, walnuts, cashews or pumpkin seeds (use a small coffee grinder)
Instead of rice flour use same amount of sorghum, garbanzo/fava bean flour
Instead of butter use same amount of margarine (not diet) or 1/4 less oil
Instead of cornstarch use same amount of arrowroot , potato starch, lotus root, or amaranth starch
Instead of milk use same amount of nut, rice, soy or hazelnut beverage
Instead of milk powder use same amount of non-dairy powders by Solait, Better Than Milk or Vance's Dari-Free
Instead of potato starch use same amount of arrowroot, lotus root, corn starch or amaranth starch
Instead of potato flour use same amount of almond flour
Instead of Xantham Gum use 50% more Guar Gum

I know there are more conversion charts out there but I've found this one helpful.

mamatide

#4 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for your input. If anyone knows which flour(s) I could use in place of teff, millet, or amaranth that would be appreciated too...I think I have every other flour known to mankind in my refrigerator! Maybe it would just be easier to purchase the extra flours!! :rolleyes:

#5 GlutenFreeGirlie

GlutenFreeGirlie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

To replace teff flour you can use the same amounts of brown (or white) rice flour. To replace millet or amaranth use sorghum or quinoa flour in the same amounts. I hope that helps.

#6 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Anyone know what to replace tapioca flour with?
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#7 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:32 PM

Does anyone know where to buy tapioca flour if it can't be substituted?

I need to venture into the baking arena but it seems a lot of recipes call for tapioca flour and I haven't been able to find it. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#8 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

Andrea,

You can get Tapioca flour at almost any health food store. If all else fails, try talking to themanager of the store where you normally get your supplies and see if htey can order it in for you.

As for substitutions for normal flours, there are some commercially available ones that claim they can be changed cup for cup w/ regular flour, but we have found, by experimentation that combinations of various gluten-free flours work best.
Ryan

Positive blood work May 06
Positive results with diet change

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

Whole Foods (NJ) carries Ener-g Tapioca Flour, and I can also get it at my local health food store.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 inquirer

inquirer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

If there are any Asian grocery stores in your area they might carry it. It's a lot less expensive. They also have lots of rice flours. I think they call it tapioca starch instead of flour.

#11 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

I've had more luck ordering flour on-line from Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead, etc. With the cost of gas these days, it's easier for me to order everything on-line and have it delivered to my door rather than stopping at 4 different health food stores to pick-up everything. Clark's Nutritional Center has also been a good place to pick-up flour for me...if you're willing to drive.

Thanks everyone for the pointers...I'm starting a chart of substitutions since I'll never remember them all!!

#12 GlutenFreeGirlie

GlutenFreeGirlie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

You can use potato starch or arrowroot starch in place of tapioca flour... which is essentially just a starch. Though, if you can find it, Tapioca Flour is really a great addition to your gluten free baking.

#13 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

You can use potato starch or arrowroot starch in place of tapioca flour... which is essentially just a starch. Though, if you can find it, Tapioca Flour is really a great addition to your gluten free baking.

I get tapioca flour at my local Vietnamese and general Asian market. They have all kinds of starches and blends there. I haven't figured out what to do with lots of them yet.

There is a blend of rice starch and tapioca starch that can be used for making extruded thick clear noodles, soft rice noodle wrappers, or dumplings, for instance.
Nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: