This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To Denver Tonight

VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I just got off the phone with Deby's Gluten Free Cafe in denver...

I am soooooooooooooooo excited!!!!

I ordered (for pick-up) some of her soft/warm chocolate chip cookies, Italian Bread, gluten-free Rye Bread, Saltine Crackers, Cheese crackers and a few other items.

Plus, my friends and I are having breakfast there tomorrow morning!! I can't wait to try her gluten-free FRench Toast, gluten-free Blueberry Pancakes and Breakfast gluten-free Burrito....

I might gain 20 lbs this weekend...LOL

<Happy Sigh>

Bronco

p.s. Here is her link -- Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

OMG I'm going to Denver in a few weeks. I had NO idea that place existed! Yay! I clicked on the link and they have dairy-free options too. :D:D:D Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is their cafe all gluten-free too?????????

Green12 Enthusiast
I just got off the phone with Deby's Gluten Free Cafe in denver...

I am soooooooooooooooo excited!!!!

I ordered (for pick-up) some of her soft/warm chocolate chip cookies, Italian Bread, gluten-free Rye Bread, Saltine Crackers, Cheese crackers and a few other items.

Plus, my friends and I are having breakfast there tomorrow morning!! I can't wait to try her gluten-free FRench Toast, gluten-free Blueberry Pancakes and Breakfast gluten-free Burrito....

I might gain 20 lbs this weekend...LOL

<Happy Sigh>

Bronco

p.s. Here is her link -- Open Original Shared Link

I've tried a few things from there, mainly baked goods- cookies, muffin, etc.. They were pretty decent, they have soy as an ingredient in a lot of their stuff though and that is a problem for me.

They have an eat in cafe and bakery, with a full regular menu, all gluten free!!

mamaw Community Regular

bronco

I've always heard good things about Deby's. Let me know how the saltines and rye bread is. I was hoping someone would post in regards to her items. eat something for me too. the weigh will look better on you, than me!!!!!!ff I will do mailorder after I hear from you. Pa is a bit far to commute to Denver.......... please pm me after you have tried the food.

thanks

mamaw sande

hez Enthusiast

I have eaten there once and picked up there baked goods on several occasions. The cafe is small and lovely. It some ways I felt like I was going to mecca. No questions to ask, no possible cc and I could order anything off the menu! I find their products to be good but dense. I like the english muffins but only eat a half at a time. Have fun!

Hez

jerseyangel Proficient

Sounds like a great place--didn't the owner's husband post here a while back? Anyway, have a safe trip, Bronco--enjoy! :D

Green12 Enthusiast
OMG I'm going to Denver in a few weeks. I had NO idea that place existed! Yay! I clicked on the link and they have dairy-free options too. :D:D:D Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is their cafe all gluten-free too?????????

Mango,

It's an all gluten-free establishment. No gluten whatsoever, you can pick anything off the menu to your heart's content.

Also, a few more suggestions when in Denver:

I haven't tried it out but Beau Jo's Pizza, a Colorado pizza tradition, has a gluten-free menu. You can view it at their website under "Menu" and then "Guilt Free Guide"-

Open Original Shared Link

There is one located in Denver.

Vitamin Cottage, a local health food store with several locations in and around Denver, gets products from Outside The Breadbox a gluten-free bakery out of Colorado Springs. Their products are very popular so it runs out fast, but I really like the things that I have tried- multi-grain crackers, grahm crackers, cheddar crackers. They also have bread, cookies, muffins, pies, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions Juliem. I can't wait to try these places out...and I really can't wait to drag my friends around to all of these gluten-free places! It'll be a great opportunity to prove to them that I do in fact eat food! :D

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions Juliem. I can't wait to try these places out...and I really can't wait to drag my friends around to all of these gluten-free places! It'll be a great opportunity to prove to them that I do in fact eat food! :D

No problem Mango!

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I know this area pretty well as far as where the healthfood stores are (there's a Wild Oats and Whole Foods in the area as well) and Debby's Gluten Free Cafe & Bakery, and the Denver Beau Jo's.

Enjoy your stay in Denver :)

Dan Newbie

The gluten-free pizza is great at BeauJo's, they also have or are getting the gluten-free beer.

I think they have about 7 locations

Green12 Enthusiast
bronco

I've always heard good things about Deby's. Let me know how the saltines and rye bread is. I was hoping someone would post in regards to her items. eat something for me too. the weigh will look better on you, than me!!!!!!ff I will do mailorder after I hear from you. Pa is a bit far to commute to Denver.......... please pm me after you have tried the food.

thanks

mamaw sande

Broncobux,

I would also be interested in hearing how your Deby's Gluten Free experience went. If you wouldn't mind posting that would be great and much appreciated!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Broncobux,

I would also be interested in hearing how your Deby's Gluten Free experience went. If you wouldn't mind posting that would be great and much appreciated!

Ditto.

I'm so going to that BeauJo's place too. :D

Green12 Enthusiast
Ditto.

I'm so going to that BeauJo's place too. :D

I used to LOVE BeauJo's pizza. They sell the pizza by weight (1 lb., 2 lb., 3 lb., and so on.) so they are these heavy dense, what they call 'mountain pies'. The crust is awesome and unique, thin in the middle where the toppings are and then the edge is rolled up really thick and has the texture and consistency of fresh bread. They serve it with honey and the tradition is you eat the cheesy/topping thin crust part and then put honey on the thick crust that is left over. It's GOOD!!!

Like I said I haven't tried the gluten free pizza, so I don't know if it made in the same way that the origianl gluten filled pizzas are. But it's good to hear poster Dan gave it a thumbs up.

If you do go I would love to hear your review Mango.

Ok,

So here's the Story from my trip to Denver...

I arrived in Denver around 8:00 p.m. My friends picked me up at the airport and brought me a gluten free sausage/pepperoni/green pepper pizza from Beau Jo's.

It was great! The sauce was inredible and the crust was pretty darn good!!! Beau Jo's serves gluten free person pan size pizzas -- the perfect size!!!

That night my friends went out in Downtown Denver to Larrimer Square -- really nice area, had a ton of fun!

Sat. morning we got up and went to Deby's for breakfast...First of all, it is a little hard to find. It is located in a business park and it seems a little odd to have a restaurant there. After 5 minutes of getting lost, I called Deby's and they re-directed me and a lady even waited outside waving her arms to help us find the place.

As soon as you walk in, you see a bunch of tables and chairs. Also, there are two "freezers" which you can browse through that have a bunch of gluten free food. One of the cases is for all of the bakery items (gluten free bread, crackers, muffins, rolls, etc) The other freezer is for prepared food items (i.e. soups, turkey and stuffing dinners, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, baked ziti, stuffed shells, etc)

By the way, these freezers were awesome -- If I didn't have a 12 hour car ride that day, I would have stocked up (I had no cooler)... :(

Anyway, so we sit down and our waitress comes to the table. Apparently, the waitress is the only one out of Deby's "family" that does not have celiac disease. However, I refused to "hold that against her" and we went on looking at the menu. Speaking of the menu, did I mention that the entire menu is gluten free? Everything on the menu is fair game...how cool is that???

As we are browsing through the menu and sipping on our coffe/orange juice, the manager of the restaurant comes to talk to out table. She reiterates that the entire menu is gluten free and everything is "yummy".

A few minutes later, she comes back to the table and brings us some complimentary muffins from the bakery. One was chocolate chip and one was blueberry. They were sooooooooo good! I forgot what it was like to have hot baked muffins...I need to learn how to make those -- too good!!!

My friends and I then ordered our breakfast. They both had eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast (yes, gluten free toast -- it was strange, but well received -- butter and jam and everything -- how cool!!!

I ordered two orders of Biscuits and Gravy - I know it is a bit glutinous (no pun intended -- :) ), but I haven't had gluten free biscuits and gravy, Actually, I haven't had any biscuits and gravy in 10 years. They were good (could have used more gravy, but I always say that -- the biscuits were soft and the sausage gravy was good).

Part me wanted to try the gluten free french toast, but I was too darn full (I did see it go out to another table though...it looked nice)

After we payed the bill and tipped the waitress, I bought some of the bakery items that would keep in the car for the 12 hour drive. Here is what I bought and my opinions of them...

Country White Bread -- Pretty good. It has to be the "longest" gluten-free bread on the market -- still has small pieces of bread, but at least you get a bunch of it! I think it is better toasted, but I think all gluten-free bread is better toasted....

Multi-Grain gluten-free crackers --- These are great. I was trying to think of something to compare it to with regards to flavor and texture. The only think I came up with was think of a multi-grain-like-cheez-it...that is close to this cracker

Regular "Saltine" cracker -- Do not buy these. Enough said.

Gluten Free Burrito Tortillas -- These are also good, borderline "GREAT"... I am having "Bronco's MExican Suprise" for dinner tonight, so I will tell more later. I can tell you that they were pretty good when I tore a piece off of one just to try it. Really Good!

All in all, it was a great trip. I think the people that thought up Deby's are wonderful and creative. I only hope the market works out for them...

Bronco

Green12 Enthusiast
Ok,

So here's the Story from my trip to Denver...

I arrived in Denver around 8:00 p.m. My friends picked me up at the airport and brought me a gluten free sausage/pepperoni/green pepper pizza from Beau Jo's.

It was great! The sauce was inredible and the crust was pretty darn good!!! Beau Jo's serves gluten free person pan size pizzas -- the perfect size!!!

That night my friends went out in Downtown Denver to Larrimer Square -- really nice area, had a ton of fun!

Sat. morning we got up and went to Deby's for breakfast...First of all, it is a little hard to find. It is located in a business park and it seems a little odd to have a restaurant there. After 5 minutes of getting lost, I called Deby's and they re-directed me and a lady even waited outside waving her arms to help us find the place.

As soon as you walk in, you see a bunch of tables and chairs. Also, there are two "freezers" which you can browse through that have a bunch of gluten free food. One of the cases is for all of the bakery items (gluten free bread, crackers, muffins, rolls, etc) The other freezer is for prepared food items (i.e. soups, turkey and stuffing dinners, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, baked ziti, stuffed shells, etc)

By the way, these freezers were awesome -- If I didn't have a 12 hour car ride that day, I would have stocked up (I had no cooler)... :(

Anyway, so we sit down and our waitress comes to the table. Apparently, the waitress is the only one out of Deby's "family" that does not have celiac disease. However, I refused to "hold that against her" and we went on looking at the menu. Speaking of the menu, did I mention that the entire menu is gluten free? Everything on the menu is fair game...how cool is that???

As we are browsing through the menu and sipping on our coffe/orange juice, the manager of the restaurant comes to talk to out table. She reiterates that the entire menu is gluten free and everything is "yummy".

A few minutes later, she comes back to the table and brings us some complimentary muffins from the bakery. One was chocolate chip and one was blueberry. They were sooooooooo good! I forgot what it was like to have hot baked muffins...I need to learn how to make those -- too good!!!

My friends and I then ordered our breakfast. They both had eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast (yes, gluten free toast -- it was strange, but well received -- butter and jam and everything -- how cool!!!

I ordered two orders of Biscuits and Gravy - I know it is a bit glutinous (no pun intended -- :) ), but I haven't had gluten free biscuits and gravy, Actually, I haven't had any biscuits and gravy in 10 years. They were good (could have used more gravy, but I always say that -- the biscuits were soft and the sausage gravy was good).

Part me wanted to try the gluten free french toast, but I was too darn full (I did see it go out to another table though...it looked nice)

After we payed the bill and tipped the waitress, I bought some of the bakery items that would keep in the car for the 12 hour drive. Here is what I bought and my opinions of them...

Country White Bread -- Pretty good. It has to be the "longest" gluten-free bread on the market -- still has small pieces of bread, but at least you get a bunch of it! I think it is better toasted, but I think all gluten-free bread is better toasted....

Multi-Grain gluten-free crackers --- These are great. I was trying to think of something to compare it to with regards to flavor and texture. The only think I came up with was think of a multi-grain-like-cheez-it...that is close to this cracker

Regular "Saltine" cracker -- Do not buy these. Enough said.

Gluten Free Burrito Tortillas -- These are also good, borderline "GREAT"... I am having "Bronco's MExican Suprise" for dinner tonight, so I will tell more later. I can tell you that they were pretty good when I tore a piece off of one just to try it. Really Good!

All in all, it was a great trip. I think the people that thought up Deby's are wonderful and creative. I only hope the market works out for them...

Bronco

Oh yay, sounds like it's a great place with a lot of yummy options! Thanks for sharing your Deby's Gluten Free experience Broncobux. Geesh, it took an out of towner to test out the waters of a place that is literally in my back yard. I know what you mean about the location, it is in a small little industrial/warehouse area. Maybe the rent is a deal there?

It's also good to hear that the BeauJo's gluten-free pizza was a hit as well.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Bronco! I will be staying away from the saltine crackers :lol: Does anyone know where Beau Jo's gets it's crust? They say they get it from an outside source. I'm curious about the ingredients (if it's chock full of soy and dairy I will be sad). :)

Mango,

Beau Jo's gets their crust from Debys Bakery..

Mango04 Enthusiast
Mango,

Beau Jo's gets their crust from Debys Bakery..

Oh - yeah, that makes sense. :D Thanks.

jaimek Enthusiast

Wow, I am so glad I found this post. I have a wedding in Denver at the end of this month. Now I am not so worried about what I am going to eat!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
jaimek Enthusiast

Just got back from Denver and ate at Deby's twice!!! It was so good. First morning I had pancakes and french toast. The pancakes were unbelievable. Not gritty at all. My non-celiac husband even enjoyed them. The french toast was decent, but I would recommend the pancakes any day! I also had lunch there, a turkey club which was delicious. I bought muffins to snack on throughout the day, and they tasted like regular muffins. Not dry or gritty at all!!! What a find. I also ate two BeauJo's pizzas. I have been craving regular tasting pizza and that definitely did the trick. What a great overall experience in Denver. Too bad there isn't anything like that in Philly :(

Green12 Enthusiast
Just got back from Denver and ate at Deby's twice!!! It was so good. First morning I had pancakes and french toast. The pancakes were unbelievable. Not gritty at all. My non-celiac husband even enjoyed them. The french toast was decent, but I would recommend the pancakes any day! I also had lunch there, a turkey club which was delicious. I bought muffins to snack on throughout the day, and they tasted like regular muffins. Not dry or gritty at all!!! What a find. I also ate two BeauJo's pizzas. I have been craving regular tasting pizza and that definitely did the trick. What a great overall experience in Denver. Too bad there isn't anything like that in Philly :(

Good to hear you had a great experience at Deby's jaimek :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm leaving for Colorado in a couple days. Hoping to at least stop at Beau Jos

:):D:PB)

Green12 Enthusiast
I'm leaving for Colorado in a couple days. Hoping to at least stop at Beau Jos

:):D:PB)

Yay Mango!

A couple weeks ago I tried both the pizzas at Beau Jos and Deby's, even though they use the same crust I personally preferred the Deby's version- but really, freshly made pizza right out of the oven very much like the real thing, you can't go wrong with either!

I hope you have a safe trip out here and a great time with your friends! I look forward to hearing how your Beau Jos experience goes :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Here's my review of Beau Jo's:

Soooo good! See scary picture to the left :D. That's me eating pizza that I ordered from a restaurant!!!!! It could have tasted like dirt and I still would have had fun just ordering it :lol: My friends ordered gluten-free pizza too, which totally cracked me up. They said they couldn't taste the difference. Maybe they were just being nice, but I liked it!

I didn't make it to Deby's or anywhere else. I was actually staying in Highlands Ranch and there happened to be a Beau Jo's just a few mintues away from the hotel.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Green12 Enthusiast
Here's my review of Beau Jo's:

Soooo good! See scary picture to the left :D. That's me eating pizza that I ordered from a restaurant!!!!! It could have tasted like dirt and I still would have had fun just ordering it :lol: My friends ordered gluten-free pizza too, which totally cracked me up. They said they couldn't taste the difference. Maybe they were just being nice, but I liked it!

I didn't make it to Deby's or anywhere else. I was actually staying in Highlands Ranch and there happened to be a Beau Jo's just a few mintues away from the hotel.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fabulous! So glad you made it to Beau Jo's :D

You were right where my family lives.

Archived