This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hillshire Farms

Lister

Lister Rising Star

ok so i desided to go out and do some grocery shopping so i could cook my own food instead of buying prepackaged stuff, i was walking in the deli and i spoted all the hillshire farm sausages, now they list right on there if has soy so i figured if it has wheat they would probably list it so i got it, then i got home and did a search for sausage and read that the skin(package tube) that they fill the meat into can contain gluten

so my question is has anyone had hillshire farms smoked beef sausage and if so any problems or for that matter is hillshire a safe company. i want it and it only takes 5 minutes to heat up was gonna dice it up onto my salad

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hillshire Farms will list their ingrediences.......... Soy, is not Soy Sauce that does contain wheat, other than LaChoy soy sauce.

Soy is ok unless you have a problem with soy. I don't , some do.

Pig Out..... It is also good breakfast food as well. Just don't buy the beer with brats that they have.

Lisa

Lister Rising Star

alright cool yeah i was not worried about the soy just about the skin that the sausage is in itself are you sure its safe?? i know i know i really do ask to many questions about food but im just so scard i will mess up acually im so scaredi keep having nightmares

(my dream last night)

was in a circle of friends smoking bowls (yes i know how childish of me to dream about that) and then my rommmate hands me a glass of apple juice so i drink it, the applejuice tasted funny then i realised that everyone was laughing at me, "what what whats wrong with the apple juice" i said " i put cupcake mix in it hahahhahahahha" replyed my roommate i freaked and yelled at him saying he probably hurt me as soon as i said that skin started to melt off my arm and i started to form boils all over my skin, the dream continued with me beeing rushed to the ER with my girlfriend trying to keep me calm by handing me a mcdonals hamburger.... wow i need help

figured i would post the full ingediant list just incase i missed something

beef,water,corn syrup, 2% or less of :Natural spices, Natural flavors,salt,dextrose,monosodium glutamate, isolated soy protein, viteman C

so it has natural spices and flavorings are these safe since its hillshire farms??

Lisa Mentor

Can someone please send Lister the Delfi List of Gluten Free Products!!! This would be very helpful to him.

I am unable, Nini, celiac3270, Karen let's help him out..............this will help him quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Lister Rising Star

i got the list i just dont trust the flavorings. i meen i know that they say it but i just want to check to make sure no one has had problems with it

Lisa Mentor

Then you need to know how to read lables, check with the manufacturers, and know what is safe for you to eat. You already have the abilities at your hands to know what is good and what is not safe. Granted, there are new products every day. But, we all need to depend on ourselves and the knowledge that we have aquired through this infliction. Every day is a learning experience, at least for me.

Lisa

PS: If it is on the Delfi List, you can consider it safe. They did the hard work for us. I am grateful for that.

Lister Rising Star

well im not sure if i have the delfi list buti have lists

as for reading ingrediants and what not i do but by the time i go shopping the 1800s are always closed and then i dont know ifi can eat what i got for dinner

i guess i will just eat it i need to eat something before it gets to late at night

is hillshire on the delphi list?? i dont have the list if someone could send it to me

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Lister,

I have the Delphi list. The hillshire farms products are all safe except the Beer Bratwurst. The Chicken Apple Sausage is produced on a line with gluten ingredients so CC is possoble with that one.

I would just like to add that if you eat the sausages and get all tripped out and symptomatic it is most likely from all the MSG in the sausages....not gluten. I never got better from just being gluten-free and I had alot of the same scary symptoms you're getting. It was from that one ingredient Monosodium Glutamate. The other ingredients (Dextrose, Natural spices, natural flavors, corn syrup and isolated soy protien) are all other sources of MSG so basically the sausages are loaded with the stuff. If you react....this is why.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I use the hillshire farm brand quite often with no problems. And about that dream you had - believe it or not, it's normal. It's your subconcious coming to grips with the diet change and life style change. I've had some doozies in the past. It's usually of eating something, then realizing that I shouldn't have and getting the food out of my mouth. That's when I usually wake up. I've been totally gluten-free now for several months and the dreams have almost completely stopped. I don't know if it's because my health is so much better or having this place to help deal with the disease. Either way, don't worry about your dreams - it's part of the process. Glad to see you're better and on the right track now with your health.

Annette

Guest nini

Lister, if you do not have the Delphi list yet, I've got this years and last years, I can e-mail them to you if you want... if you do not want to post your e-mail addy, pm me or e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net and in the subject put "request Delphi Lists"

Lister Rising Star

meh not like i dont get email spammed anyways so

s0l32@hotmail.com

and the 0 is a zero

also this is kinda unrelated but can you form allergies to foods?? or just intolerancys?

i had some peanuts yesterday (planters) and withen 5 minutes i could barly breath and my neck broke out with small hives this went away about 10 minutes later but it scared the crap out of me

wierd thing is i dont react to peanut butter

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yes, you can develop allergies to foods. It's hard to say that's what was happening to you though.

Do you have a health food store nearby? You might want to find a way to purchase more basic food items for a while, such as clean organic meats, fruits, veggies, rice...single ingredient items like that. That way you can be more confident about what you're eating, and it will help you narrow things down and figure out what exactly you are reacting to. When you eat all of that packaged processed food, it's hard to know what's making you sick (since there's so many ingredients involved as well as potentially harmful addatives). You obviously have a lot of anxiety while eating that stuff too.

You should only eat things that you are 100% comfortable eating. If you have some sort of doubt or you think something might make you sick, don't eat it. The anxiety will just make you sick anyway, and you often mention being nervous after eating something.

The best way to find safe foods while you're starting out on the gluten-free diet is to stick to the basics (single ingredient whole foods). It doesn't even have to be that much more expensive to shop that way either...and it's healthier and will help you heal faster.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I don't have the delphi list either ... I have been known to call one of my teenagers when I'm at the grocery store and have them go to a manufacturer's website to see if a product is gluten free. :lol: Will one of you please send it to me? Thank you!

Lister Rising Star

i have problems finding plain foods besides vegies and fruits ( i buy lots of vegis and fruits though) when it comes to meats every place in town pretty much only carys meats with additives besides pork,steak its really hard to find chicken the closeist i have found is tyson that only uses a broth inject that is safe

CarlaB Enthusiast

I eat lots of eggs, cottage cheese, kifir, canned red salmon (it's Alaskan and not farmed), cheese, etc. I don't always have a "meat dish" for dinner.

Last time I cooked for the family it was rice penne, cream sauce (butter, half and half, thickened with cornstarch), Johnsonville italian sausage, asparagus, summer squash, and mushrooms. Another dinner was gluten-free salmon patties on gluten-free buns with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber. One that's a hit with the kids are enchiladas with ground beef and refried beans with gluten-free enchilada sauce I get from the Mexican section of Kroger (it's not marked gluten-free, I read the ingredients). I've also made the enchiladas with eggs instead of beef. For us, the variety comes in the preparation rather than in having different types of meat.

Guest nini

Delphi lists sent to Lister and CarlaB

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you!!

Lister Rising Star

thx

Guest nini

you are welcome

• 8 years later...
linen53 Rookie

I contacted Hillshire Farms and today got this response to whether their products are gluten free:

Thank you for your question regarding gluten-free products. Hillshire Brands complies with the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act with regard to all labeling.

At this time we only have limited products certified and stamped on the label as gluten free: some of our Sara Lee Deli meats, Jimmy Dean sausages, and our Aidells sausage products. We do not promote or certify that any of our other products are gluten free currently, as we do not test for gluten.

However, due to the demand, we are in the process of making gluten free products, once they officially come out onto the market we will contact you directly to let you know. I hope this helps!

• 2 years later...
Darla1508 Rookie

I found it confusing as to whether this was gluten or free not.  However, I've not had gluten in two weeks now and had Hillshire Farms beef sausage this morning and my head is literally spinning.  I'm going to assume I shouldn't have eaten it.  It was good......but will avoid it from now on.

Victoria1234 Experienced
13 minutes ago, Darla1508 said:

I found it confusing as to whether this was gluten or free not.  However, I've not had gluten in two weeks now and had Hillshire Farms beef sausage this morning and my head is literally spinning.  I'm going to assume I shouldn't have eaten it.  It was good......but will avoid it from now on.

Summer sausage, rope sausage or link sausage?

what were the ingredients? Msg makes me dizzy.

• 2 years later...
Mainegurl Newbie
On 6/4/2006 at 9:38 AM, Guest nini said:

Lister, if you do not have the Delphi list yet, I've got this years and last years, I can e-mail them to you if you want... if you do not want to post your e-mail addy, pm me or e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net and in the subject put "request Delphi Lists"

Could you email me the Delphi list? Lornarachel@gmail.com

On 6/4/2006 at 10:42 AM, Lister said:

meh not like i dont get email spammed anyways so

s0l32@hotmail.com

and the 0 is a zero

also this is kinda unrelated but can you form allergies to foods?? or just intolerancys?

i had some peanuts yesterday (planters) and withen 5 minutes i could barly breath and my neck broke out with small hives this went away about 10 minutes later but it scared the crap out of me

wierd thing is i dont react to peanut butter

GFinDC Veteran
25 minutes ago, Mainegurl said:

Could you email me the Delphi list? Lornarachel@gmail.com

Hi mainegurl,

lister last visited the forum in 2007, and they aren't following this thread, so you probably won't get a response.

I don't know for sure this is the Delphi forum they mentioned, but here is a link to one.

https://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac

Edited by GFinDC
Scott Adams Grand Master

I’m still in this email list and have been so for over 20 years. I would not expect much from it nowadays as I don’t think too many people are on it, or if they are they don’t participate much. I get 1-3 posts a week now.