22 replies to this topic

#1 shai76

shai76

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

I've tried everything on my bumps, even those really expensive creams and prescription stuff. Finally I gave up and just went back to using Cetaphil. After being gluten free for over a month now I noticed my bumps are almost completely gone! Is it possible for keratosis (chicken skin) to be related to gluten intolerance? Anyone else see an improvement in their skin?
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

Yes!!! I used to have them all over the backs of my upper arms and on my knees and it is much better than it used to be. Arms are cleared up completely.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Totally gone!!! My elbows feel like a baby's elbows now!!! I also stopped getting mystery blisters on my hairline and neck ... I don't think they're dh since they are only on my hairline and neck, but I guess it's possible, but they didn't itch.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

is THAT what it's called???!!! lol! yeah mine have completely cleared up being gluten-free. I still have some scarring from some of the bumps that I scratched til they bled... Had it on face, upper arms, upper legs and chest

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

Mine and my son's have cleared up. It is also a good way to tell if we have been glutened, because it comes right back if we have accidently eaten gluten.
L.
Michigan

#6 shai76

shai76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

I'm glad others have had the same experience! It gives me hope that it will stay cleared up as long as I remain gluten free. I used to think I had such ugly skin, and would wear long sleeves and pants to cover it up. Now it looks nice and it doesn't get all itchy like it used to.
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

#7 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

Do any of you know if there are other things that can cause Keratosis Pilaris? My 9 yo son has it, but 2 doctors have said it's not diet related and he tested negative on the celiac panel. He already eats very little gluten, since we are mostly gluten-free in our house, but his skin is really bad.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#8 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

my daughter is completely gluten-free, but her legs and backs of her arms still have this... It seems to be related to ingrown hairs and the type of skin she has... we have to get her to exfoliate EVERY time she bathes and moisturize. Otherwise it looks really really bad.

#9 natalunia

natalunia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, mine have gone away completely too!

Nat
Natalie

Multiple allergies since 2 years old - 1979
Diagnosed with Endometriosis - February 1998
First visit to Gastroenterologist - 4/4/06
Negative Bloodwork - 4/4/06 (only IgG & TtG)
Gluten Free since 4/17/06
Colonoscopy - 5/8/06
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant - 5/22/06
Celiac Disease suspected, but not confirmed due to going gluten free before biopsy

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:58 AM

There is also a condition called hyperkeratosis folliculitus. (spelling could be off) It is caused by the body's inability to digest fat properly.
L.
Michigan

#11 qwertyui

qwertyui

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

I never thought about it either, but mine is gone too! I never wore sleeveless shirts because of it, and it is gone now. I actually just felt my arms while reading this post! Funny....

#12 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

i'm going to have to look at my girls arms and see if they are any better. i could have sworn that once i read that it was caused by an allergy, but i've never been able to find that info again----so maybe i was remembering wrong.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#13 nan_1683

nan_1683

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

hey guys i was just wondering, how long did it take before u noticed your keratosis pilaris had cleared up? i have it but i dont know if im gluten intolerant. im going to try a gluten free diet anyway just to see if it works but im wondering how long before i should expect (if any) improvements on the bumpy arms. please any info im desperate for these red bumps to go away!

also, does anyone know if peanut butter is gluten free? one of the ingredients im concerned about is partially hydrogenated veg oil. also, what about margarine? i keep reading different things about these foods! im new here so maybe theres a section about what foods are gluten free and which ones arent, perhaps someone can point the way?

#14 MrMark

MrMark

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

I've tried everything on my bumps, even those really expensive creams and prescription stuff. Finally I gave up and just went back to using Cetaphil. After being gluten free for over a month now I noticed my bumps are almost completely gone! Is it possible for keratosis (chicken skin) to be related to gluten intolerance? Anyone else see an improvement in their skin?

I am gluten intolerant (my sister is diagnosed Celiac, but I'm not tested yet) and I had these Keratosis pilaris all over my legs (especially thighs), back and real bad on the backs of my arms/forearms. Gluten made my body itchy and these bumps itched too, so I was in a constant state of itching for 25+ years. 3 days after being gluten free and the Keratosis pilaris is almost completely gone by themselves. Lotion, corn huskers and neutrogena lotion couldn't even soften them. It seems that when gluten attacks from my inside, nothing put on my rashes, DH or other stuff can help

With one week gluten free, I am fighting, among other things, a twitching eyelid (like Dreyfus on the Pink Panther movies, not that bad though). I think the twitching eye is caused by something called Peripheral Neuropathy - can anybody confirm? It also feels like something in my stomach is twitching, too. When I stopped eating gluten, the twitching greatly subsided, but has not stopped. Does anybody out there feel twitching inside their abdomen? Does the Peripheral Neuropathy go away with time?

#15 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

I have heard this is caused by a vitamin A deficiency. Being a celiac you are usually deficient in fat soluble vitamins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: