This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maybe Hes Wrong

Lister

Guest Robbin

WestSoy makes a RICE milk that doesn't have barley malt in it and I know there are other rice milks that don't have gluten. Rice Dream has barley-don't get that. Just read the labels carefully. Almond Breeze is the almond milk I use and it is made by Blue Diamond. The vanilla is good in coffee and on cereal and the regular is good for cooking. I use the gluten free regular flavor rice milk for my family when I make mashed potatoes.

I know this from experience, (a struggling on and off smoker myself) cigarettes make the stomach pain so much worse. Eat BEFORE you have a cigarette. Don't smoke on an empty stomach.

:)

Also, another good food to have quick and easy is an omelet or scrambled eggs with some chopped up veggies and gluten-free ham (you can buy just a couple slices at the deli and chop it up) Take care,

Robbin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rikki Tikki Explorer

If it helps at all, I quit smoking almost 4 months ago. Just to be honest for the most part it has been awful, but I am making it day by day.

The thing I would worry about smoking pot is that it would make me hungry and I would want to eat junk food none of which I can have so what would be the use?

I think you just have to do what works for you. I am doubtful I could of quit very soon after diagnosis of celiac disease because that in itself was such a struggle.

Lister Rising Star

would the chocolate almond be gluten free as well? its all safeway had they are sold out of the others :(

i hate chocolate milk

gfp Enthusiast
the thing is i did get sick overnight, i was perfectly fine up until last month i got the flue and during the flu i started to get pains so iwent to the doctor and thats when this all started. no problems before the flue. I understand the diet takes time but i just dont get how acuall pain can come and go as it pleases without reason

Developing the symptoms is not the same as getting sick overnight.

You have been eating gluten for years... it has built up and your body fights against it.

The young body repaces villi quickly so they were being destroyed and then regrowing in a constant battle until you got flu and this distracted your bodies defenses and regeneration and the destroying got the upper hand over regenerating.

The reason I beleive many people find problems at first is (as well as being glutened in things they don't realise) that the body has stored and tried to lock away gluten and when you stop it starts to cleanse out these areas so you get on and off times.

Also 6 weeks is not long, those of us gluten-free for years will notivce that after a glutening we get symptoms for weeks ... with me its like the freiqnecy and intensity and length of each one decrease away from the glutening and its not unusual for 3-4 weeks later to have a small episide from something. Given you are still leanring it is very likely as others have said that you have been cross contaminated or just eatenb something you shouldn't.

The point is we were all sure we were gluten-free when we started ... and most of us now realise we were not.

Also you have probably got a food you have decided is safe you rely on which is perhaps very low in gluten. I did this myself with some corn chips I used to have as a fallback ... I eventually worked out it was these ... but only after new labelling laws came in did they change the packet and indicate they had wheat deriviatives.

i acually almost quit cigs, for the 6 days i was feeling great i started to cut back and made it down to 3 a day instead of 11 but i found myself smoking about 12 yesterday and 15 today yeah i know thats really really bad and im gonna have to quit really soon before i get worse when it comes to cigs.

Some cigarettes have added wheat products.... search the list here Open Original Shared Link

especially 594. WHEAT EXTRACT AND FLOUR

gfp Enthusiast
it just sucks i cant figure out a way to make the pain go away besides eating, if i eat something the pains seem to go away for about 30-50 minutes but then come back, A. i dont want to eat that offten B. i dont have the food to last me to eat that offten. not sure what to do but the pains become so unbarable i have to force myself to eat

You want to get something like rice-cakes which will adsorb excess acid and help the feeling you need to eat. You can also eat peeled carrots or other crudites... if you need to eat then it sounds like you should just choose something not going to challenge your guts too much. Since you enjoy your salads then why not just have the salad, there is no rule you need to eat meat with every meal...

Also I find that many of the gluten-free breads and pasta's etc. contain other additives that a delicate digestion won't like and are pretty hard to digest anyway.

Another possible is popcorn... just salted and cooked in butter .. ou can adresss milk intolerances later... or use a vegetable oil. I find corn doesn't digest well with me at all except when its popped.

Obviously if you keep on mary jane you will get cravings to eat....

You might want to invest in some good mild green and cut out tobacco since it can contain gluten?

A friend of mine has some belladonna tabs which seem to work very well for the griping and general nausia you seem to be experiencing, I guess they are prescription only ... you might want input from other US'ians on this.

Also on brain-fog vs mj, they are completely different. Gluten is an exorphin and acts more like heroine than mj. Never having touched the stuff (heroine) I can't say but I know the brain-fog feeling is not the same as mj....

debmidge Rising Star

Lister, the celiac disease has you bad..but 6 weeks isn't enough time to clear out gluten. Hubby took a few months and even now after 2.5 yrs. Still goes back & forth. He does not eat processed foods as much as other celiacs might; spices and fruits and vegetables are still irritating his guts and gives him symptoms like being glutened. Just last week he wasn't feeling well and couldnt' pinpoint it to anything specific. For him, even a gluten-free life isn't going to be the same as it was before he got ill. But he'll never eat gluten again.

belladonna is precscription in US

Donnatal is the brand name

lindalee Enthusiast

You have been eating gluten for years... it has built up and your body fights against it.

The young body repaces villi quickly so they were being destroyed and then regrowing in a constant battle until you got flu and this distracted your bodies defenses and regeneration and the destroying got the upper hand over regenerating.

The reason I beleive many people find problems at first is (as well as being glutened in things they don't realise) that the body has stored and tried to lock away gluten and when you stop it starts to cleanse out these areas so you get on and off times.

Also 6 weeks is not long, those of us gluten-free for years will notivce that after a glutening we get symptoms for weeks ... with me its like the freiqnecy and intensity and length of each one decrease away from the glutening and its not unusual for 3-4 weeks later to have a small episide from something. Given you are still leanring it is very likely as others have said that you have been cross contaminated or just eatenb something you shouldn't.

The point is we were all sure we were gluten-free when we started ... and most of us now realise we were not.

Also you have probably got a food you have decided is safe you rely on which is perhaps very low in gluten. I did this myself with some corn chips I used to have as a fallback ... I eventually worked out it was these ... but only after new labelling laws came in did they change the packet and indicate they had wheat deriviatives.

Some cigarettes have added wheat products.... search the list here Open Original Shared Link

especially 594. WHEAT EXTRACT AND FLOUR

515 - RYE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

Lundberg has a line of Rice milks that are gluten-free.

Also, I've been doing this over 3 years, like I said, and I'm still waking up naseaus every morning... I can't quite figure this one out. I'm addicted to coffee and can't wake up without at least one cup of it, but when I'm so naseaus, it's really difficult to get my coffee down... is this a symptom of Celiac or an accidental glutening or another intolerance? I don't know, my point is that you've only been doing this six week, even after 3 years there are still questions and symptoms... (but I am a LOT better and would NEVER go back to eating gluten)... it really does sound like you are also dealing with an anxiety disorder... if you don't want to get a prescription for that (which I don't blame you, they are really hard to get off of) you could go the herbal route... there is St. Johns Wort or SAM'E or I am sure other's may have some suggestions for you. The mj is not helping on the anxiety front... (I do speak from experience here... not judging) I really wish you a lot of luck with this, but you have got to help your body help heal itself and stressing about everything only makes it worse.

lindalee Enthusiast
Lundberg has a line of Rice milks that are gluten-free.

Also, I've been doing this over 3 years, like I said, and I'm still waking up naseaus every morning... I can't quite figure this one out. I'm addicted to coffee and can't wake up without at least one cup of it, but when I'm so naseaus, it's really difficult to get my coffee down... is this a symptom of Celiac or an accidental glutening or another intolerance? I don't know, my point is that you've only been doing this six week, even after 3 years there are still questions and symptoms... (but I am a LOT better and would NEVER go back to eating gluten)... it really does sound like you are also dealing with an anxiety disorder... if you don't want to get a prescription for that (which I don't blame you, they are really hard to get off of) you could go the herbal route... there is St. Johns Wort or SAM'E or I am sure other's may have some suggestions for you. The mj is not helping on the anxiety front... (I do speak from experience here... not judging) I really wish you a lot of luck with this, but you have got to help your body help heal itself and stressing about everything only makes it worse.

Nina, I gave up coffee this week. I drank it with soy milk and sugar. Since I am eliminating both those - it really didn't taste good. Switched to tea and it taste better to me . I was a big coffee drinker in the am. In the past if I felt sick I would do the switch. I bought some sam=e for liver and mood but haven't taken it yet because I didn't know if it was gluten-free. Mine is Nature Made. St. John works good unless you have severe depression.

jerseyangel Proficient

Pacific Brands Rice and Almond Milks are also gluten-free. I understand the anxiety--I had it for years, sometimes panic attacks. It is a symptom that always comes back when I am glutened--and takes the longest to resolve. After a year gluten-free, I still have anxiety kind of just under the surface--I constantly just deal with it. Because I have seen some improvement, I choose to not take medication for it--at least for now. I don't like to make judgements on what others choose to do, but I just want to say that smoking (both things) is counterproductive to your healing. It looks like your system is dealing with an awful lot right now. Just because it's free, or whatever, is not a good reason to continue to smoke mj--I would think that your health should come first. That also could explain why you feel the need to eat so often. Believe me, Lister, I firmly believe in 'live and let live', and I only say these things because I'm concerned. :) And I understand the disapointment of feeling better and then finding oneself back at 'square one'--that also happened to me and I was then faced with identifying and dealing with a myriad of other intolerances. Take it one day at a time, make the best choices you can, and you will make progress!

lindalee Enthusiast
Well i have been gluten free for about a month now and ithought things where going great, but for the past 3 days i have been getting worse each day and im almost to the point physicaly where i was before i was dianosed and even went on this diet. If things continue to get worse and not better i think i will be removing myself from the diet since obviusly its not working. I meen i had a good 6 days with good bms and now there turning back to mucus and my fatigue and brain fog have all come back as well. I dont understand how you can go from good one day to bad the next if you are healing so obviusly im not.... i dont know what to do really, i think i will stick it out with the diet for 1 more week and then talk to my doctor if things dont turn back onto the brighter side again

lLISTER, SORRY YOU'RE FEELING BAD. JUST TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME. I AM TRYING HARD TO LEARN ALL THIS. IT IS HARD BUT REMEMBER YOU ARE WORTH IT. LINDALEE

Guest Robbin

:) Wow, gfp, I see how that makes sense in regard to the storing of gluten. I have had lots of weird lumps and skin nodules that have slowly been "dissolving" and thought it was the fibromyalgia thing going away. Could this be the gluten "stored" ? Kinda like encapsulated and then when it starts to come free in the body you get glutened? So, no wonder it could take years for some of us older folks.

Also, Lister, you just don't KNOW what is in the mj you smoke. You could be even getting chopped up wheat in it! I know the anxiety is awful, but maybe try my old standby, benadryl, to help you sleep? (diphenhydramine--antihistamine/allergy over the counter) The generics / store brands are the same.

penguin Community Regular

OK, Lister. I've said it before and I'll say it again...MJ can make you sick, too. All that anxiety BS you're dealing with? I assure you that the mj has at least SOMETHING to do with it. Seriously. Cronic use of mj causes all kinds of problems in your body.

Lister Rising Star

acually i have been smokn mj for so long i dont get the cravings to eat anymore from it. i get cravings to eat without it lol, i dont smoke mj until after 5pm each day and by then i already feel like crap and it acuall helps me to feel better a for a while. as for the almond milk i found some vanilla so i picked that up along with some envirokids cereal i am very happy i have not had cereal with milk for a while now, hope its not to processed for me.. oh well but i went out and got a bunch of whole foods to eat for this week to see how that helps. Wish i could bring myself to eat fish but i just find it so revulting

gfp Enthusiast
Wow, gfp, I see how that makes sense in regard to the storing of gluten. I have had lots of weird lumps and skin nodules that have slowly been "dissolving" and thought it was the fibromyalgia thing going away. Could this be the gluten "stored" ? Kinda like encapsulated and then when it starts to come free in the body you get glutened? So, no wonder it could take years for some of us older folks.

This is just my personal theory, as yet I guess nooone has thought to analyse those nodules... my bet is they contain gluten but hey... Im just a sufferer.

All that anxiety BS you're dealing with? I assure you that the mj has at least SOMETHING to do with it.

Seems rather unlikely, indeed there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Noone seems to have decided and after various governments spending time and money trying to prove harmful effects (outside of inhaling tar) and even the US military noone has managed to prove it... which considering the agenda was to prove harm it seems somewhat unlikely

Open Original Shared Link

A chemical found in cannabis can act like an antidepressant, researchers have found.

A team from Canada's University of Saskatchewan suggest the compound causes nerve cells to regenerate.

The Journal of Clinical Investigation study showed rats given a cannabinoid were less anxious and less depressed.

But UK experts warned other conflicting research had linked cannabis, and other cannabinoids, to an increased risk of depression and anxiety.

Chemicals found in cannabis could be used to relieve symptoms of severe mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder, researchers have claimed.

The drug itself has previously been linked to an increased risk of developing such conditions.

But a University of Newcastle team, writing in the Journal of Psychopharmacology said cannabinoids might help.

So it seems rather premature .. since Lister is smoking tobacco which we know is bad and tobacco is physically addictive I would rather think this is more serious.

This is just my personal theory, as yet I guess nooone has thought to analyse those nodules... my bet is they contain gluten but hey... Im just a sufferer.

Seems rather unlikely, indeed there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Noone seems to have decided and after various governments spending time and money trying to prove harmful effects (outside of inhaling tar) and even the US military noone has managed to prove it... which considering the agenda was to prove harm it seems somewhat unlikely

So it seems rather premature .. since Lister is smoking tobacco which we know is bad and tobacco is physically addictive I would rather think this is more serious.

Smoking pot causes cancer, too. I've seen it happen. The research goes both ways, but having seen the negative effects of long term cannabis use in my own family, I tend to lean toward the bad stuff.

This seems most relevant to our situations:

Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight disease. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited14. In other studies, mice exposed to THC or related substances were more likely than unexposed mice to develop bacterial infections and tumors15,16.

I'm not one of those people who has never used mj and am judging against it. I'm not one of those people that thinks it should be totally illegal, because I don't. It's a hell of a lot better than alcohol, IMO. I do feel that it is a bad idea to smoke it every day, especially in someone with an already comprimised immune system. You're not smoking it to relieve the effects of AIDS or chemo meds, you're smoking it recreationally, habitually.

The cigs are also obviously a problem, but Lister already is trying to quit those.

gfp Enthusiast
The cigs are also obviously a problem, but Lister already is trying to quit those.

Its just my opinion but he's trying to kick gluten, cigarettes already and cigarettes contain gluten so the two are linked. The problem with many of the websites is they just have one purpose.

For instance: "And 60 percent of youngsters who use marijuana before they turn 15 later go on to use cocaine."

This doesn't really say much? Try it once? Use it habitually? Personally I have never been near it and neither have most people I know and those that do are 1-2 a year type people. Secondly it says something about the people as much as the drug and you could easily replace that with tobacco and rerun the study...

It might not be the best thing but IMHO its heathier than alcohol and easier on the stomach and digestive system (and I guess you can throw caffine in there too) which at least partly counters the reduced immune system. Indeed most celiacs have by definition a rather overactive immune system.. if we could just work out how to make it less aggressive ....

I also know quite a few people who have kicked MJ because it makes them paranoid ... again just my experience but it seems most chronic users who react this way recognise it?

I'm not saying Lister might not be better off in the long term without it but I'll bet he wishes he never mentioned it now... yet in a way its like seeing a dr and not saying what else you are taking, if he doesn't then he won't find any advice or not about if it might cause things related to his celiac disease.

Much as I don't want to condone illegal actions it might be better for him to concentrate on the gluten and cigarettes included .. if he can do both at once ... and try making sure he doesn't get any bad MJ... and try and smoke it without tobacco. He certainly won't manage to give up cigarettes if he keeps rolling with them and that is far harder to kick than MJ...

Much as I don't want to condone illegal actions it might be better for him to concentrate on the gluten and cigarettes included .. if he can do both at once ... and try making sure he doesn't get any bad MJ... and try and smoke it without tobacco. He certainly won't manage to give up cigarettes if he keeps rolling with them and that is far harder to kick than MJ...

I agree that some of the scare stats are total bs. Then again, if you're using mj before the age of 15, there are probably other forces at work there that are bigger than mj use.

I should have mentioned this before, I used to smoke cigarettes, and at the time, most of my friends smoked both mj and cigarettes. Most of them started smoking cigarettes after they started smoking mj because it increases the mj high. Especially menthols, which of course are like smoking fiberglass.

IMO it's easier to stop smoking EVERYTHING at once, because of habit if nothing else.

For example, lets say you're addicted to a cup of coffee and a donut every morning. It was your routine and you never strayed. Neither one is good for you, but your doctor tells you to stop eating donuts. OK, you stop eating donuts, but you still drink your coffee. But the coffee is so much better with the donut than without. You then figure that if you only eat a donut with your coffee once or twice a week, then that's better than every day, and it is. But it's a slippery slope to eating that donut daily again.

I don't want to condone illegal behavior either, but perhaps using another vehicle to use th mj might be helpful in quitting smoking all together...

Lister Rising Star

well i dont feel my mj is of consern. I dont drink coffe i dont even drink anything with cafeene anymore i already conqured that hill. I dont drink alchohal because i hate the feeling of beeing drunk i loose controle and i dont like that. i dont like other drugs yes i have tried a little of everything besides heroin and i did not find anything i could see myself doing again and have not. never will i snort coke because it seemed very pointless never will i smoke meth (have not even tried it and i wont) i did do E like 4 times but that was in the past and will not come back to me again since i feel i dont like the negative effects. Mj is the one thing that has been bringing me peace for the past 4 years and literly has stoped me from ending my own life several times as i used to get very very depresesed since i have little to no family contact and have only 1 friend in the entire world i feel alone alot of the time and mj helps me get past those times. i do understand the importance of quiting the cigs and i have desided to do it by cutting back lowering the ammount by 2 a day until im down to only smoking 1 and then quit

ravenwoodglass Mentor
well i dont feel my mj is of consern. I dont drink coffe i dont even drink anything with cafeene anymore i already conqured that hill. I dont drink alchohal because i hate the feeling of beeing drunk i loose controle and i dont like that. i dont like other drugs yes i have tried a little of everything besides heroin and i did not find anything i could see myself doing again and have not. never will i snort coke because it seemed very pointless never will i smoke meth (have not even tried it and i wont) i did do E like 4 times but that was in the past and will not come back to me again since i feel i dont like the negative effects. Mj is the one thing that has been bringing me peace for the past 4 years and literly has stoped me from ending my own life several times as i used to get very very depresesed since i have little to no family contact and have only 1 friend in the entire world i feel alone alot of the time and mj helps me get past those times. i do understand the importance of quiting the cigs and i have desided to do it by cutting back lowering the ammount by 2 a day until im down to only smoking 1 and then quit

Lister, I am not at all anti-pot. It can be of great medicinal use for some people. It helped keep me alive when I was at my sickest. One thing you do need to be careful of is the use of rolling papers or smoking from a pipe with others who are also smoking ciggarettes. My DS has been glutened more than once that way. One thing you may find helpful with guiting the cigs is the patches. Walmarts brand is cheap and they are gluten free. I have used them and they really help with the cig cravings especially if people around you cooperate and let your home be smoke free. You are also going to have a real hard time not getting cross contamination where you work, if you are a manager you have experience and may want to look for a position in a Blockbuster or some place that does not have food service. Hang in there and also be very careful with what you 50 yr old drunk 'freind' brings over. Malt beverages and most coolers usually have barley malt like beer does and are not safe.

Lister Rising Star

i dont drink his boos but he only drinks hosa quervo tequila so it would not be a problem. but like i said i dont really like getten drunk i think i may have a small amount of wine on my birthday (21st birthday) but other then that meh. acually he quit drinking he has been 4 days sober so far and im really proud of him (hes been drinking half a fith a day for over 6 years) so its a big steap for him to go could turky. as for the pipe/paper i dont smoke jays but if i did i got rizzas in my cabnit so those are gluten-free, i smoke cigs anyways so the pipe issue is not really a issue, but i do burn the end of the pipe everytime before i hit it and whipe with tissue that way if they are wearing lipgloss i dont have to worry

ravenwoodglass Mentor
i. acually he quit drinking he has been 4 days sober so far and im really proud of him (hes been drinking half a fith a day for over 6 years) so its a big steap for him to go could turky.

I sincerely hope he is doing this under a doctors care. A detox unit is safest. That level of drinking for that many years means that he is in a lot of danger just going cold turkey. His body has gotten used to the alcohol and he risks convulsions and the DTs which can at times be life threatening. We have the typical 'male violent alcoholic pattern' that is strongly genetic in my family and my younger brother almost died in jail when he was forced to quit 'cold turkey'. Just a heads up, glad to hear you don't drink much it is very dangerous for young people mainly because the liver has not fully developed and the damage done to it by drinking is increased 5 fold. And once your liver is gone, it's gone.

Archived