5 replies to this topic

#1 murda

murda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:36 AM

I wrote to Post and Kellogg's about two weeks ago, and with both places I got the same response. That none of the cereals at this time were known to be completly safe for a gluten-free diet, because of ingredients and high rates of cross contamination. I've noticed everywhere on this board that people are eating these cereals though. So did I get wrong information? Are these cereals safe? I know Corn Pops just changed over but they said none of their cereals were gluten-free, same with Post. Post said that all cereals are processed on machines with other wheat products and the machined are not entirely cleaned between runs, so they cannot recommend eating their cereal at this time.

I'm mainly wondering because I don't want contaminated but I'm tired of buying more expensive cereals.

Thanks,
murda

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:03 AM

Post has a couple of cereals that are technically gluten-free and some people do eat them (I have a couple of times) but there's good reason for the warnings from the companies. The plants are filled with gluten dust and cleaning the lines thoroughly is nigh impossible.

richard

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:21 PM

My daughter and I eat Post Fruity Pebbles with no problems at all, the ingredients are gluten-free, but I guess there could be a chance of cross contamination.

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:55 AM

When I called the company a few months ago (POST) I was told that both fruity pebbles and cocoa pebbles are made on dedicated lines.......that is why I have no worries about them.

-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:21 PM

That is good to know Jessica! I know all the times I have eaten them I have never had a problem.

#6 astyanax

astyanax

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:14 PM

thank you for that post jessica!! i'm in japan on an american air base for another week and i'm running low on gluten-free food so i have no choice but to eat some commercial gluten free stuff. fruity pebbles are awesome!
gXf since november 1998

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: