7 replies to this topic

#1 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

I just have to say, that the existence of carrageenan really annoys me! :P Seriously, it's in EVERYTHING at the health food store. I just read that it's the vegetarian eqivalent of casein. I wonder how many of us get sick from it and don't even know it.

I think I've almost eliminated it, except it's almost impossible to find a carrageenan-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free milk. I know that's asking a lot of a milk..so maybe I will have to start making my own. :) I'm just wondering if anybody knows anythiing about carrageenan, or has problems with it. Here's one article I found:

http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

I'm just wondering if anybody knows anythiing about carrageenan, or has problems with it. Here's one article I found:

Mango..I have problems with it. Its evil. I hate carageenan.

I posted a list of the worst food additives last night (pg. 34 on that super long thread).
Carageenan was on there. This is what it said.

Carrageenan - stabilizer and thickening agent; linked to toxic hazards, including ulcers and cancer; In addition to suppressing immune function, carrageenan causes intestinal ulcers and inflammatory bowel disease in animals and some research indicates that carrageenan is associated with causing cancer in humans.

Its also got lots of free glutamates in it (msg).
Rachel

#3 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

It is evil huh? I can't believe how many evil things are put into our food. We don't even know what these things really are or what they actually do to us. It really makes me kind of mad.

I was reading pg. 34 of your thread/book and that's what got me thinking about it. I kind of recognized all of those other additives as being harmful..and then there was carrageenan, which I see ALL the time at ALL "health food" stores. It's hard to find much about what it actually is beyond "it's a seaweed extract" or something like that. Anyway, I started to kind of read about it and now I have no desire to consume it ever ever again. It's hard to avoid though. Grr...

#4 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

It is evil huh? I can't believe how many evil things are put into our food. We don't even know what these things really are or what they actually do to us. It really makes me kind of mad.

I was reading pg. 34 of your thread/book and that's what got me thinking about it. I kind of recognized all of those other additives as being harmful..and then there was carrageenan, which I see ALL the time at ALL "health food" stores. It's hard to find much about what it actually is beyond "it's a seaweed extract" or something like that. Anyway, I started to kind of read about it and now I have no desire to consume it ever ever again. It's hard to avoid though. Grr...

It really is so true that carrageenan is in everything, especially like you said products in the health food store.

I was eating a turkey roll up EVERYDAY for lunch for 3 years in my Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas. I made a conscious helath choice by getting the turkey at the health food store, free of nitrites and nitrates and other chemical additives and fillers- I sure thought wrong. The ingredients were turkey, water, and carrageenan!! So I had the corn derivative xanthan gum from the tortillas and the carrageenan from the turkey, every single day. I really did awesome.

#5 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

I try to limit carageenan too. What a stupid ingredient. Do manufacturers think we would choose to eat a glue-like substance? I wish they didn't have to put it in soy milk.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#6 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

It really is so true that carrageenan is in everything, especially like you said products in the health food store.

I was eating a turkey roll up EVERYDAY for lunch for 3 years in my Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas. I made a conscious helath choice by getting the turkey at the health food store, free of nitrites and nitrates and other chemical additives and fillers- I sure thought wrong. The ingredients were turkey, water, and carrageenan!! So I had the corn derivative xanthan gum from the tortillas and the carrageenan from the turkey, every single day. I really did awesome.

That's exactly how I feel. I've been making consious, organic, nitrate-free health choices that have been FULL of carageenan...aka poison! Soooo annoying!

#7 Kimbo111

Kimbo111

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi everyone...I am fairly new to the gluten free life. I went completely gluten free around January of this year. I had been suffering from toxic mold exposure for 4 years that really did a number on my immune system and now I have come to realize I suffer from several food issues, and the list seems to keep growing.

When I gave up gluten, there was a huge noticeable improvement. I mostly get skin issues from gluten, which leads me to believe I may have Celiac. I know I carry the DQ2 gene that is found in many Celiac and Mold Illness patients. However, Malt causes so much severe intestinal pain I've almost gone to the emergency room. Now I'm finding soy effects my skin as well, I get small blisters on my neck and between my eyes, and vinegar causes my skin to burn.

The other day I went to Froyoyo and got the 8 calorie, gluten free chocolate frozen yogurt. I was fine until about 2 hours later then I had such severe stomach pain that lasted the entire evening. I also got blisters on my skin as well.  I felt out of it for about three days. So I'm wondering what caused this?

From what I can tell, there isn't any soy or malt (and since malt is gluten, this was labeled gluten free) in frozen yogurt. I did some research and came across carrageenan! Yikes....don't know WHY they put this stuff in our food. But I'm also wondering if it could be from Whey Protein?

Has anyone had this issue? Or can anyone offer some advice?

One other thing, I have been seeing an MD who also believes in a holistic approach and has put me on many food supplements, juices, vitamins, etc. and I was getting acupuncture and glutathione pushes, which is glutathione injections into the vein on a weekly basis for about 2 months. This helped me immensely, but just when my skin starts to clear up and I'm feeling pretty good, I end up eating something that sets me back again.

#8 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

hello, kimbo - 

this is a very old thread (started in 2006) so, many of the original posters may not be around to answer your questions.   welcome to the forum.  :)  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: