17 replies to this topic

#1 sarahelizabeth

sarahelizabeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

I've just started researching celiac because its being tossed around for my 1 year old. I noticed that I too have a lot of the symptoms of it as well. I get little red, intensly itchy (esp in the morning) blisters on my hands but no where else on my body?? They sting too and hurt if they are popped. Could that be DH???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

I was diagnosed with DH by just viewing the blisters. I did not have the biopsy. Mine were like yours. I had many small blisters that itched like crazy and when they popped oozed a clear or sometimes a pale yellow liquid. You can have a biopsy while you are broken out, but they need to take the biopsy next to an eruption and not on top of the blister. If you get a firm diagnosis of DH, then you for sure have Celiac. Only Celiacs get DH. But not all Celiacs get DH. Not all DH is on the elbows or behind the knees. My GP's PA had a friend that was diagnosed in medical school, because his DH was on his scalp, but no where else. They did a biopsy on him and confirmed it was DH and thus he had Celiac Disease.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

I was diagnosed with DH by just viewing the blisters. I did not have the biopsy. Mine were like yours. I had many small blisters that itched like crazy and when they popped oozed a clear or sometimes a pale yellow liquid. You can have a biopsy while you are broken out, but they need to take the biopsy next to an eruption and not on top of the blister. If you get a firm diagnosis of DH, then you for sure have Celiac. Only Celiacs get DH. But not all Celiacs get DH. Not all DH is on the elbows or behind the knees. My GP's PA had a friend that was diagnosed in medical school, because his DH was on his scalp, but no where else. They did a biopsy on him and confirmed it was DH and thus he had Celiac Disease.

Before I was diagnosed, I would get small blisters on my fingers that sound exactly like what you describe. I would also get the same type of spots on my inner forearm. They would itch, and eventually go away. I didn't know about DH, Celiac or even gluten (as a problem) at the time. I have not had them for as long as I've been gluten-free. I wonder if I may have had the beginnings of DH--or would I still have skin erutpions? They were the worst in the 6 months or so before I was diagnosed, and at my sickest.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

How wierd! I used to get those too! I get them on the sides of my fingers and on my palms. They'd itch, burst, and then peel. They never got red, though. They usually only happened in spring, so I figured I must be molting like a snake :lol:

That's been going on since I was 10 or so. Wierd. I wish they would come back so I could have them looked at... <_<
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#5 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

Patti, I had those blister on and off my whole life. After going gluten-free, I have only had one eruption and that was after I once delibertly digested a gluten filled meal a year after my diagnosis. My Dad had them so bad that they once bandaged his hands for 3 months. They told him he had DH, but no one ever told him that he had Celiac Disease. He died at age 52, 41 years ago.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

Patti, I had those blister on and off my whole life. After going gluten-free, I have only had one eruption and that was after I once delibertly digested a gluten filled meal a year after my diagnosis. My Dad had them so bad that they once bandaged his hands for 3 months. They told him he had DH, but no one ever told him that he had Celiac Disease. He died at age 52, 41 years ago.

Armetta--I'm sorry about your Dad--52 is way too young.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

Hey, I get these blisters but never thought about DH because, well the pictures don't paint a pretty picture and mine don't look too bad...just very itchy, blisters that come and go.

I even go to the point where I thought maybe they were poison ivy even though I couldn't figure out how or where I might have picked it up.

In fact, I just got over a bunch this week.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#8 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

I have been getting those blisters on the insides of my fingers for 30 years now (sometimes they'll spread all over my hands to my arms, though, but that's rare). In fact, I have a whole lot of them right now. Just got back from my idiot dermatologist, who declared they can't be DH, since you can get DH ONLY on your elbows, knees, scalp and lower back. Since they aren't in one of those spots, it's eczema (or so he says). The same goes for the rash on my face (which certainly looks like DH to me). And since the biopsy came back negative, he says I definitely don't have DH. He only took one biopsy, right through a rash that was clearing up (the blistery stage was over), making it flare up again, no wonder it came back negative! He says that you can take a biopsy anywhere, rash or not, and come back positive if you really have DH. Oh well. Who cares what he says. :blink:
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 sawgrass

sawgrass

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

I've just started researching celiac because its being tossed around for my 1 year old. I noticed that I too have a lot of the symptoms of it as well. I get little red, intensly itchy (esp in the morning) blisters on my hands but no where else on my body?? They sting too and hurt if they are popped. Could that be DH???

I had small blisters occasionally on my hands ,I thought it was poison ivy or something.I went on a diet with lots of whole grain and broke out after 3 months.First on my left elbow and now all over.I am glad to know what is going on ,but it sure itches.

#10 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

I get a rash on my scalp and blisters near my scalp and on my neck. I've never had them tested. I've always been curious whether they were dh as I get them if I use a shampoo/conditioner with wheat. The rash itches, the blisters don't. The blisters bother me though not just the way they look, but the way they feel.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#11 shai76

shai76

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

It's called dyshidrotic eczema. MIne is caused from food allergies. Once I stopped eating all the things that I was allergic to it went away. I get it on my hands and feet. I wouldn't bother with a dermatologist, it was a total waste of money. If you stay away from the foods that cause it and treat your hadns nice it will most likely get better. It's usually the first thing to flare up on me when my allergies are acting up. I've been to lots of dermatologist and have tried all the creams and learned the only thing that works is avoidance. I imagine celiac could aggravate it as well as allergies.
allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes
Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

#12 honeybuzzed

honeybuzzed

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

I get a rash on my scalp and blisters near my scalp and on my neck. I've never had them tested. I've always been curious whether they were dh as I get them if I use a shampoo/conditioner with wheat. The rash itches, the blisters don't. The blisters bother me though not just the way they look, but the way they feel.

I get those to ! just on my head though they really hurt ! I will have to go out and find a new shampoo ! hummm my Dad also gets it as well ! The other day he was saying that this household has a lot of symptoms that are a lot alike. Then he said what if we all caught a long term bug ? Now I am telling him he needs to be tested becuase this sort of thing could be in the family ( I am the first person in my family to have it ) and he allllll the sudden dosen't think he has any of the same symptoms. He just dosen't want to have to avoid gluten ! Oh well I will just have to get out the duct tape again , kidnapp him , and take him back to the doctor :P Mabey this time I'll tape him to the hood ... last time he whined to much ! :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Diagnosed with Celiac on May 30th /06 with Biopsy

Started diet June 28th /06

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

#13 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:04 AM

Carla, have you tried eliminating sodium laurel sulfites? I did and mine are almost gone. I also get small red welps on my back and chest after shampooing w/ it. LindaLee
Lee

#14 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the name - the pics from the search are it!!!

I have started to use a steroid cream when they pop up and it seems to help.

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/000832.htm

This site also says it can cause fingers and toes to crack. Well, that explains something else! And, I am treating it right.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#15 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:12 AM

I used to get them. Itched like crazy. Went to dr. but that didn't help. Mine got so bad had to get my ring cut off(swollen). I just figured it was nerves. My husband was very sick and controlling. LindaLee
Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: