Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Dr. Pepper Gluten Free?

25 posts in this topic

I just realized it says "Artificial flavors and colors." Has anyone already researched this one? This might be a dumb question...I'm still learning!

Thanks so much for any info. I'm still so new to this and thought all soda pop was okay.

Melodi

Ads by Google:

Yep it is gluten free...one of my favorite drinks!

I'm a pepper, You're a Pepper, He's a Pepper, She's a Pepper, Wouldn't ya like to be a pepper tooo!!

Dr. P is gluten free. Enjoy!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

On that note, does anyone know of a good gluten-free cream soda brand?

On that note, does anyone know of a good gluten-free cream soda brand?

I'm pretty sure A&W is.

I'm pretty sure A&W is.

A&W is made by cadburry schweppes just like Dr. Pepper and I'm almost 100% their creme soda is safe. I know their root beer is.

Mug Root Beer and Cream Sodas are gluten-free.

:D Hooray! You just made my Day. "I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper.............

Annie

There's actually no period in Dr Pepper...sorry, had to point it out :rolleyes:

As I recall, all products produced by Dr Pepper Snapple Group are free of gluten. Pretty much any flavored soda is made by them for the most part. Glad to see that there are some Pepper fans in here! :)

I just wish there were a caffeine-free version--I love the flavor, but can't deal with the caffeine. :(

We don't drink much soda at our house--does anyone know of sodas that AREN'T gluten-free? I'd never thought to look.

I just wish there were a caffeine-free version--I love the flavor, but can't deal with the caffeine. :(

We don't drink much soda at our house--does anyone know of sodas that AREN'T gluten-free? I'd never thought to look.

The first week I was gluten-free, I tried a mixed drink - Rum and RC

I woke at 12:30 with a swollen neck and aching shoulder - made me cry!

I thought it was the rum....but read that clear rums were ok.

So last nite I tried a Rum and Pepsi..........woo hoo! just a little hangover!

Definitely the RC Cola!

And that used to be my alltime favorite.

Tena

I don't know about everyone else and I know just about everyone with this disease reacts differently but I know for a fact I have a negative reaction if I have pepsi, coke, dr pepper, a&w root beer or cream soda and just about anything else that has carmel coloring in it. The reason some of this products can say they are gluten free is I believe because they were working off the old numbers given out by the FDA which was if it was less than 200 ppm than it was gluten free. New studies are out now and the FDA is trying to work on getting a 20 ppm ruling passed instead. I was ecstatic when I found out I could still have A&W cream which is my favorite soda of all time but after extensive self testing and many horrible sleepless nights I have confirmed that at very least I still react to them.

While I don't doubt that you have a reaction to the sodas, it is not because of gluten in the coloring.

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
[Emphasis in original]

Dr Pepper and Pepsi may be listed as gluten free on their websites but everyone's reactions are different with this disease. Whenever I drink a dark colored soda, I have a reaction like I have eaten gluten.

Dr Pepper and Pepsi may be listed as gluten free on their websites but everyone's reactions are different with this disease. Whenever I drink a dark colored soda, I have a reaction like I have eaten gluten.

That doesn't mean they are not gluten free. You react to something in them. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what.

I must admit, I always get frustrated when a company tells me that X is highly processed and contains no gluten. I'd rather they didn't sacrifice accuracy for putting the information in lay person speak. Better they should say X is highly processed and contains no detectable gluten when tested with a Y ppm detection level test.

Then it's accurate, and let's us know that our knowledge is limited by our technology at the moment.

I don't think this is an issue just with gluten, honestly. Distilled spirits are always supposed to be free from allergens, yet I have a sister-in-law who reacts allergically, with hives, to distilled spirits from juniper, every time, no matter what company she has tried. I know corn allergic people who react to corn derived xanthan gum, even though it is supposed to have no remaining corn. I react allergically to sugar, enough though it is always said to have no remaining protein (but in reality tests at a few ppm of sugarcane protein when processed).

The levels remaining in many products might be fine for most people, but treating them as if they don't exist does a disservice to the most sensitive among us, IMO.

In the US, if caramel color is made from wheat, then "wheat" must appear on the label by federal law (FALCPA). Wheat disclosure is also required in Canada, but in a regulation rather than statute law.

Caramel color made from wheat is found in Europe, but it has no detectable gluten. That is, the color has less that 5 ppm gluten. As an ingredient it forms a small part of the total product. I have other things to worry about.

... the color has less that 5 ppm gluten. As an ingredient it forms a small part of the total product. I have other things to worry about.

I'm glad that you don't have to worry about it. No sarcasm meant, either. I really am glad that this isn't an issue for you.

But that doesn't mean it's not an issue for some of us, and for those of us who DO have this issue? We need accuracy if we want to be able to find and keep our good health.

I'm aware that many people can't really see that this could be an issue for anyone, or believe that a reaction to some minute trace has to be something else other than some weird heightened sensitivity to gluten. Honest to god, I wish it was something else. I would love for someone to find another explanation for why my body does what it does. I was a gal who loved my McDonalds outings and popcorn at the movies and everything else about my totally normal lifestyle before all this happened.

But so far, neither my doctor, my GI doc, nor my allergist can find any other explanation than the one I've come up with. Both the GI and the allergist have urged me to continue doing what I've been doing, because before that, on a strict gluten-free diet, I was still going downhill so rapidly it was getting scary.

I think that the best example to illustrate what type of levels can be an issue for people like me would be a situation I ran into with oranges. I ordered oranges that were pesticide free, and when they arrived, they were the first thing I ate. Had a gluten reaction immediately afterward.

So the next day I took them all out of the box, rinsed them, washed my hands after I peeled one, and ate it as the first thing I put in my mouth that morning. Another gluten reaction.

I did this twice more before I finally got in touch with someone who tested them for gluten. The orange rind tested at 5ppm of gluten. And I was reacting to whatever low level from that rind managed to stick to my fingers or the knife as it cut into the fruit and gluten cc'd the fruit inside.

I'm sure it was much less than 5ppm that made it onto the food going into my mouth, but even someone as stubborn as me has to eventually get the clue that even if I think an amount of gluten is infinitesimally small, and couldn't possibly hurt me...well, my body doesn't agree.

Which is why I tend to check companies like this so thoroughly. I'd rather spend my time reading a good book, but staying healthy is more important to me.

I am also new to Celiac Disease so I am searching for many products as I become interested in consuming them. This is straight from the Dr Pepper website. http://www.drpepper.com/text/faq/

Q: Does Dr Pepper contain gluten?

A: All of our products are considered gluten-free. Note: All products, which contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, may contain trace amounts of corn gluten. According to the Celiac Sprue Association, corn gluten is not harmful to people with Celiac Sprue disease. We encourage consumers with specific questions about Celiac Sprue to contact the Celiac Sprue Association at www.csaceliacs.org.

What about the caramel color ? Does it come from gluten-free source?

What about the caramel color ? Does it come from gluten-free source?

Caramel color in the US and Canada is not a concern. It is made from corn.

Dr Pepper is gluten-free. I'm super sensitive and it's my first choice for an indulgence when I want a cola. I usually have the Heritage stuff but haven't been able to find it lately so I've been drinking the regular now and then without any problems. Enjoy! :)

I ordered oranges that were pesticide free, and when they arrived, they were the first thing I ate. Had a gluten reaction immediately afterward.

So the next day I took them all out of the box, rinsed them, washed my hands after I peeled one, and ate it as the first thing I put in my mouth that morning. Another gluten reaction.

I did this twice more before I finally got in touch with someone who tested them for gluten. The orange rind tested at 5ppm of gluten. And I was reacting to whatever low level from that rind managed to stick to my fingers or the knife as it cut into the fruit and gluten cc'd the fruit inside.

I don't doubt your illness..I can't. But I do doubt the ability of gluten strips to detect trace amounts of gluten on an orange rind and then cross "contact" to the point that one would become ill. Sound a bit extreme, to me.

Naturally gluten free produce should not be a concern for people with Celiac or gluten sensitivity. Learning the diet is difficult enough.

I know this is an old thread but I was searching for Dr Pepper as I am new to Gluten free lifestyle and this made my night (early morning)

i am a Dr Pepper a holic and I def know I can make it on a gluten free lifestyle knowing I can have my Dr Pepper :)

I have to agree about the Carmel colored sodas also give me a reaction too.