This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Should I Be Tested For Celiac's?

eden-arteaga

eden-arteaga Rookie

I have had many symptoms on and off for about three years now, all that are similar to those of Celiac's Disease. I recently went to a Gastroentherologist who told me that the absolute last thing he would test me for was Celiac's. I went through having an ultra-sound, blood work, stool test, and he then wanted me to have an Upper Endoscopy after all those test came back normal. My cousin was recently diagnosed with Celiac's and when I spoke with my regular practitioner she suggested instead of spending more money on testing I just follow the Gluten-Free diet for a couple weeks and see how I feel. I've been trying hard to do that for a little over a week now, and it seems like I feel better when I don't eat foods with Gluten. And the couple of times I've eaten things and gotten sick I've later discovered that they do have Gluten in them. So my question is, should I even bother getting tested specifically for Celiac's or simply continue on my Gluten-Free diet with my self-diagnosis?? Also, any suggestions for things to stay away from that aren't as obvious would be greatly appreciated. I keep eating things I shouldn't, like imitation crab, soy sauce, garlic powder, things I would never suspect!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

What is your GIs reason for outright refusing to test you for celiac disease? What are your symptoms?

If you feel better being gluten-free, then it looks like you are intolerant to gluten. I know it is tricky to stay away from gluten! The best thing is to start out with only foods that are naturally gluten free, like meat, eggs, vegetables and fruits, until you figure it all out. That way you know you really are gluten free!

Also, be aware of cross contamination. If you decide to eat gluten-free bread, you will absolutely need a new toaster, you cannot clean your old toaster well enough to be safe (even one crumb can make you ill). Also, you will need to replace any wooden cutting boards, wooden spoons and plastic strainers you use to strain noodles, as well as scratched non-stick cookware.

Check all your personal care products for hidden gluten.....shampoo, conditioner, lipstick, toothpaste, soap, lotion etc., and replace the ones that do.

Send a PM to Nini to ask for the celiac disease newbie kit, she has very valuable info that would really help you (which contains lists of products you can have, and which ones to avoid).

indyceliac Newbie

MY GI had refused to test me also, because I was overweight....so eventually i found another GI and insisted on getting tested -they had to do another endoscopy anyway..it came back positive and validated everything I had suspected. I think its preferable to have a positive diagnosis, IF you can get it....just for your own mental sake...but not necessary...if you feel better gluten-free..then that is what you should do.

chrissy Collaborator

i have come to the conclusion that celiac should be tested for routinely in everyone. one advantage to having a "real" diagnosis is that you would have a good idea of what to test for if you should have children or relatives that have mystery health issues.

Archived