This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shampoos/conditioners

Donna F

Donna F Enthusiast

Okay, I've heard someone here say that L'Oreal shampoo is okay.

Today I bought Vive - Smooth-Intense Shampoo and Conditioner (seperate bottles)

There is no contact info on the bottle - only a website with no way to contact them or FAQs.

Is this stuff okay? The longer I've been on the diet, the more sensative I've become.

Otherwise, I need some names of manufacturers of gluten-free shampoos and conditioner - especially conditioner. My product listing has NONE! I won't be able to comb my hair anymore (it's getting longer) - and it's growing (NO, i will NOT cut it!)so it'll only get worse.

thanks!

donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lisabarella Apprentice

This is what they told me...

Basically NOTHING. Doesn't help. But here is the number. Stick with Nutrogena.

June 15, 2004

Thank you for visiting L'Or

Donna F Enthusiast

Thanks Lisa,

I'll call them on Monday.

There is something wrong with the Neutrogena for me - I can't use it.

Neutrogena also put out a statement that they don't guarantee their products are gluten-free any more and to use with caution. Since they give me a reaction - I don't use them anymore.

Guess I'm stuck with Toms (yuck! - smelly!)

-donna

terri Contributor

I went round and round with them and finally they said that the Color Vive was gluten-free but not necessarily the other Vive shampoos. So, be sure to double check. I talked to Garnier Fructus and they said ALL their products are gluten free. So, they are a pretty safe bet. I think the Dove Products are okay. At least the color treated ones are. Someone said Pantene is also gluten free but I haven't personally checked them.

Terri

dana-g Newbie

I am ultra-sensitive to gluten in shampoo and I use Pantene with no trouble.

Donna F Enthusiast

That's a relief. I didn't know there were so many gluten-free ones out there.

I'm glad I won't have to shave my head :o

Thanks!

:D donna

• 2 weeks later...
terri Contributor

Here is the response I got from Pantene. I think it should be fine, don't you?

(My question)

Are your products gluten and wheat free? I need to know before I purchase any...

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Monika) - 07/02/2004 02:21 PM

Thanks for contacting Pantene, Terri.

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our packages. Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested. Since our beauty care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if you haven't already. You might even consider using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

I hope this response has been helpful to you. For more information about Celiac, you may want to check out Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Monika

Beauty Care Team

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dana-g Newbie

It's called "Passing the Buck". If Pantene adds a fragrance that contains gluten to its product, I think they are morally bound to inform their consumers. It shouldn't matter if they are the source of the gluten-containing ingredient or not! I personally react quite violently to "hydrolyzed wheat protein" applied to my scalp--burning, itching, etc. I'm not so much worried about ingesting the shampoo since I don't shower with my mouth open! I don't want to take a chance that an undeclared source of gluten will spark a reaction. I do, however, use Pantene with no trouble.

Donna F Enthusiast

I agree, it does sound like passing the buck.

I've been using Pantene for a few weeks now and I've not had a problem. No more Neutrogena for me! I'm fairly certain Pantene IS okay since I seem to be really sensitive now and I have no problem with it.

thanks for telling me!

-donna

Guest Lindam

:) I have not had any problems using Dove shampoo and conditioners. I have had excellent luck with Johnson's Baby shampoo also. I can't believe how many items out there have gluten in them. I just went to the beauty salon yesterday and they only had one shampoo that they could use on me. All the salon products have some sort of wheat and/or oats in them.

Good Luck

Linda

terri Contributor

Lindam I called Dove and they told me over the phone that it was fine. I use Dove, Garnier Fructus and Pantene ( I like variety) and bring my own when going to the salon. I use Lever 2000 bodywash. I read the label and it looks okay, Keri Lotion or Suave ( which are gluten-free (Suave read label first) ). Hang in there!

Terri

hapi2bgf Contributor

You may want to rethinck the Lever soap. I loved Lever soap, but when I called Unalever (the parent company) they said Lever is not gluten-free. I use Dove now.

Suave product line is generally ok. Read the labels.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I use panteen and toms of maine

terri Contributor

Thanks for the warning about the Lever. I guess that goes to my husband too, along with all the expensive shampoos and conditioners! Will use Dove or is TONE liquid okay, do you know? Thanks!

terri Contributor

I just got off the phone with Lever 2000 bodywash. They are a Unilever company and follows the guidelines where if there is any oat, barley, wheat or rye present in any of their products, it would be clearly listed on the label as such. It would not be hidden under some chemical sounding name. Unilever also owns Lipton and Ragu and the same applies to them. So, I can use my Morning Sky bodywash again as it does not have any wheat, barley, oats or rye listed. :) Now if every company could be like that!!

Archived