This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Dream

olalisa

olalisa Contributor

I'm confused and anxious after getting my carton of RICE DREAM rice milk home from the grocery. I noticed that it says "contains gluten from barley protien at less that 0.002%." Is this okay? Sounds like just a trace, but I've been gluten free since April 20 and I don't want to mess up now. Please help! I'm trying to avoid dairy while my gut heals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Rice dream is NOT ok for Celiacs. NO amount of gluten is safe, and most will react even to that tiny amount.

VydorScope Proficient

Heres a rule of thumb for you.. "No intentional intake of gluten is acceptable in any amount"

CC isues and mistakes are bad enough, you do not want to make things worse on pruprose.

olalisa Contributor
Rice dream is NOT ok for Celiacs. NO amount of gluten is safe, and most will react even to that tiny amount.

Is there another rice milk that I can buy? I had some west soy RICE milk before and I don't THINK there was anything about gluten on the package info.

jerseyangel Proficient

Pacific Brands Rice Milk is gluten-free. Please don't chance the Rice Dream--when I first went gluten-free, and knew next to nothing about how to do so (I had yet to find this board) I tried Rice Dream in a cup of tea. :ph34r: Got sick soon thereafter. That's when I noticed the .002 warning. That was also the day I deceided that I had to read every label! Learn from my mistake! :D

flagbabyds Collaborator

Pacific rice milk is the best, but i like the almond milk, i think that that is the best tasting.

psawyer Proficient

For what it is worth, 0.002% is 2/100,000 or 20 parts per million (ppm).

Under European labelling standards that product is "gluten free" since the limit there is 200 ppm.

In Canada the product can not legally be labelled "gluten free."

In the USA there is, as yet, no legal, regulated standard for the term "gluten free," although one must be proposed by 2008 as per FALCPA.

Draw your own conclusion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Actually, Rice Dream is the only rice milk I know of that isn't gluten free. I tend to use Trader Joe's, if I use rice milk, or Pacific, but I prefer Almond Breeze myself.

olalisa Contributor

Thanks, everybody! I'm so glad I read that label before I drank it. Just wish I had read it before I BOUGHT it :blink:

I think I'm gonna just learn from this slip-up and stick to other brands, and always read BEFORE I buy from now on. I guess we can't just assume ANYTHING is safe. oy vey.

VydorScope Proficient
I guess we can't just assume ANYTHING is safe. oy vey.

Unfortinitly you are correct. ALWAYS check, even if its labeled gluten-free here in America.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Peter, you're right, if I'd be in Germany, Rice Dream would be considered gluten free, even though it isn't. I quit frequenting a German celiac disease forum, because people there were so adamant that it isn't possible to be 100% gluten-free, and that small amounts didn't do any harm.

And when people were asking for advice, saying they weren't getting any better while consuming those products, they were told that maybe they didn't have celiac disease after all, and should look at other possibilities. Because such small amounts of gluten shouldn't make them sick, or keep them sick.

When I begged to differ, I was attacked. Who needs it.

jerseyangel Proficient
Peter, you're right, if I'd be in Germany, Rice Dream would be considered gluten free, even though it isn't. I quit frequenting a German celiac disease forum, because people there were so adamant that it isn't possible to be 100% gluten-free, and that small amounts didn't do any harm.

And when people were asking for advice, saying they weren't getting any better while consuming those products, they were told that maybe they didn't have celiac disease after all, and should look at other possibilities. Because such small amounts of gluten shouldn't make them sick, or keep them sick.

When I begged to differ, I was attacked. Who needs it.

Ursula--Wow. You would think that after a time of not feeling better while consuming these "low level" gluten foods, they would come to the realization that something isn't right. I guess that the suggestion that they try naturally gluten-free foods and then see how they feel is something they don't want to consider--and why they attacked you. Well, you tried--that's all you can do :) You are right--who needs it <_<

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, it wasn't the people who weren't getting better who attacked me, but the ones who told those poor people that low levels of gluten shouldn't harm them.

They told those people not to listen to me, since I didn't know what I was talking about! I got so mad, I had to leave and never went back.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Well, it wasn't the people who weren't getting better who attacked me, but the ones who told those poor people that low levels of gluten shouldn't harm them.

They told those people not to listen to me, since I didn't know what I was talking about! I got so mad, I had to leave and never went back.

Well you're now in the land of people who definitley DO believe in being 100% gluten-free! :lol::lol:

jerseyangel Proficient
Well you're now in the land of people who definitley DO believe in being 100% gluten-free! :lol::lol:

Ah yes--the land of our people :D And Ursula, you are a constant source of wonderful, practical information--you have helped me so much!

olalisa Contributor

That's what I like about you guys....you tell it like it is!! Thanks for all the info and especially the support. This whole gluten free thing isn't easy! :o

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

olalisa Contributor
olalisa -- Your band looks like you all are having a great time. For all of us Celiac's [Please] write a song about celiac disease....

As far as how much gluten is okay.... I have a new saying, "EAT your CELL PHONE it's better for you then a crumb of GLUTEN!"

hey THANKS! We do have fun....that's me and my two kids :D , and we SHOULD write a song about celiac disease....I'll keep ya posted!

Meantime, my cell phone is looking more appetizing all the time....

• 1 month later...
oceangirl Collaborator
hey THANKS! We do have fun....that's me and my two kids :D , and we SHOULD write a song about celiac disease....I'll keep ya posted!

Meantime, my cell phone is looking more appetizing all the time....

olalisa

If you're interested, I have a recipe for your own rice milk that's very easy. I make mine because I couldn't find one that's gluten AND soy free. I actually found it on the net.

lisa

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I am almost in tears reading this thread.

My daughter can't have dairy, so we switched to soy. She got massive D and upset stomach from the soy. So, last night I went and purchased her some Rice Dream. I was all excited because she had a glass of it this morning, and LOVED it.

WHY oh WHY didn't I read the lable??? Like a dummy, I assumed that since it was a Rice milk, it WOULD be free of gluten. I am SO upset. SO frustrated. SO confused.

My daughter is also allergic to peanuts, so we avoid all tree nuts due to cross contamination issues. So, almond milk and the likes are out.

What in the WORLD can she drink?? :(

oceangirl Collaborator

My daughter can't have dairy, so we switched to soy. She got massive D and upset stomach from the soy. So, last night I went and purchased her some Rice Dream. I was all excited because she had a glass of it this morning, and LOVED it.

WHY oh WHY didn't I read the lable??? Like a dummy, I assumed that since it was a Rice milk, it WOULD be free of gluten. I am SO upset. SO frustrated. SO confused.

My daughter is also allergic to peanuts, so we avoid all tree nuts due to cross contamination issues. So, almond milk and the likes are out.

If you'd like to try this, it's delicious. The only bad thing might be that it's not enriched with vitamins as commercial rice milk is. But it's easy- I make it ahead for the week.

RICE MILK

4 cups hot/warm water

1 cup cooked rice (I use white; you can use brown)

1 tsp vanilla (also make my own vanilla by putting three vanilla beans in brandy for 3 or 4 weeks-that way no grain alcohol in vanilla)

4 Tables. Sucanat (pure cane sugar) or regular sugar

Place all ings. in a blender til smooth. Let set for about 30 minutes, then pour into jar for storage. This will make about 4 and one half cups. Leave most of the sediment in the blender. Sometimes I cook the rice twice for a really smooth drink. And it doesn't come out as well with cold water or cold rice- better to make when warm.

This has helped me; I hope it does you, too!

lisa

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hi - If you're near a Whole Foods, I highly recommend 365 Organics Rice Milk. It's the only one I like better than Rice Dream :D

Guest nini

Lundberg also makes a gluten-free rice milk that is LABELED gluten-free!

jerseyangel Proficient

Pacific Foods Rice Milks are gluten-free!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am allergic to milk so I drink soy, almond, and rice milk. Here is a list of brands that I like:

Almond Breeze (almond)

Natur-a (rice and soy)

So Good (soy)

So Nice (soy)

Silk (soy)

Archived