#16 Rayoohoo

Rayoohoo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi Meg
I know this thread is quite old now, but I would like to add my recent discovery on this subject.

My son (age 15, gluten sensittive with neurological symptoms that have receded in the last 2 years of being gluten free) had some bloods done recently to check how his deficiencies have improved. Some have, but we discovered that his free copper is deficient and he is low in ceruloplasmin (copper-based enzyme).

In the last year or so he developed stretch marks on his upper arms and thighs, which I have now discovered are not only connected to copper deficiency but also pancreatic enzymes deficiency! I wouldn't have connected the stretch marks to pancreas myself, but when I accumulate a stash of queries, I write to our gluten sensitivity consultant (Dr H in UK), who replied saying that some of his gluten sensitive patients have a deficiency of a pancreatic enzyme called elastase. I am now working on getting some tests done locally to assess pancreatic function in my son, in case he might need supplementing. Elastase plays part in connective tissue disorders, inc varicose veins, stretchmarks, aneurysms etc. I am also at this moment in time looking into homeopathy to revive the vital force that deals with connective tissue.

Going back to copper, I am reluctant to supplement, as copper can be toxic and I suspect that my son does have some unchelated copper in his liver/tissue from pre-gluten days, so we try and concentrate on good diet for the time being. I have also read that high level of copper in hair is caused by coper toxicity, where body tries to remove it that way if the liver is overloaded or unable to chelate it internally (I think it was in Ellen Grant's book). It all seems to point to enzyme deficiencies - and I am sure there must be other enzymes that are affected too.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/discoveries to add?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rayoohoo

Rayoohoo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

Surreygirl there is an overwhelming shortage ov coppe in the western diet, go google Dr John Sorenson and you will see dozens of scientific references showing that high copper blood serum content is an indication of copper deficiency, the body is trying to mobilize copper to send it to the diseased site.

#18 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Meg44 I am writing a book with publisher contract on Natural Healing Kitchen Pharmacy An Apple A day, and high serum levels is a well know sign of copper deficiency strangely enough the body is trying to mobilize copper for repair. Your daughter should get 2 to 4 mg of copper a day irrespective of what analysis she has and this 2 to 4 mg simply does not occur in the industrial American diet. Also she should take as much vitamin C as she can tolerate this will strengthen vein and arteries also. It is hard to say how much everybody is different 2000 mg and if and cut down if not tolerated.

Sound professional medical advise should not be substituted.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#19 bittykitty

bittykitty

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

This first tell tale sign my body isn't getting what it needs is the varicose veins in my legs get worse.Now I know for sure how to clear it up.Thank you so much for this thread.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes"Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: