This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed

jillwyckoff

jillwyckoff Newbie

Hi friends,

Just recently diagnosed (12/30) and started my wonderful gluten-free diet on 1/1. I've researched till I'm blue in the face. I think I got a good grip on things. But I'm really hoping to find some "normal" in all this to grab onto.

First, "normal" in terms of everyday yummy foods. Since things change every day, and manufacturers keep dodging the bullet by saying "check every second" (okay, not so much in those words, but you know what I'm saying), can anyone recommend any normal foods (today) that are yummy. I'm looking specifically for snacks (gum, candybars, crackers, etc.) that I can get from the regular food store. I almost cried when I found out that Kozy Shack Rice Pudding was gluten-free (no lie). Just wondering if anyone can make me shed another tear over some other new "normal" food discovery.

Second, "normal" in regards to health. I'm exhausted. I'm still fuzzy headed. I'm still nausious off and on, and my mood swings are pathetic. They're driving me crazy, never mind everyone else. Is this all normal for a while? If so, how long. The only physical side effect I've noticed since going gluten-free is that my allergies have almost disappeared. This is amazing since I'm alergic to everything and have sneezed my way through life for the past 40+ years. I've used about 6 kleenex since the 1st of the year when I would normally use nearly 1/3 of a box each day. If this is from being gluten-free - I'm really excited!

Thirdly, "normal" in eating out and traveling. Anyone have any ideas of this? My husband and I love to eat out and I have no idea (other than protein burgers at In and Out) where to go. I'd love ideas if you have them.

I know there's got to be some "normal" to be found hidden in this crazy disease. I think it would make me a lot happier to find little pieces of normal than none at all.

I appreciate your help! Thank you!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

jillwyckoff:

Welcome to the site, this is a great place to get your questions answered!

First: "normal snacks" - There is a new potato snack called "Crunch Toons" they are kinda like Gold Fish crackers. I have not been able to find any crackers yet, but when I do I will let you know :) - Candy bars Hershey's, Snickers, mostly all of them EXCEPT the ones that have cookie or rice in them (i.e. twix, crunch, kit kat, etc.) Gum - I believe Wrigley's is gluten-free.

Second: I have been gluten-free since Sept and I still have some lingering sypmtoms too, I think sometimes it just takes awhile. ;)

Guest jhmom

OPPS... added post before I was through.. :D

Third: Eating out: I am not sure if these restaurants are in your area: Wendy's & Outback Steakhouse both have a gluten-free menu. The best thing to do is see if the restaurant has a website and if they don't post it there email them for confirmation.

I hope this helps, again welcome to the board.

wclemens Newbie

jillwyckoff, I'm so glad you are on the road to recovery, and that you've found this site. From your post, I can see that you are such a positive soul, and that you are making the best of a challenging situation. I've had Celiac since I was 8, and I'm 59 now so I've had many of the same challenges of which you write.

I believe you will begin to see real changes in being clear headed in your thinking with this diet, and yes, I also had so many allergic symptoms, which have gotten better as I've stuck to the diet. Mine presented as Asthma, which just keeps getting better and better as I learn which foods I can tolerate. Along with gluten, I have to stay away from milk, dairy, egg whites and yeast, but I feel really great now that I no longer ingest those foods. Your energy level will most likely increase, along with your stamina, perseverance, and patience.

About eating out--I can eat at Acapulco Mexican Restaurant, and always order chicken tacos, chicken tamales, and refried beans, all with no cheese. At fast food places I ask for the hamburger or chicken burger without the bun or cheese. At El Pollo Loco and Major Market I order chicken breasts, and at Boston Market I get turkey, meat loaf, and green beans. Meat, fish, chicken, turkey--these are the easiest things for me to order when I go out. I have to be especially careful of salad because sometimes they wash it in chemicals, then I have an asthma attack. Salad dressings and butter are also usually off limits because of added milk, so usually I carry a purse just for condiments and foods that I know are safe.

For example, Imperial Margarine, Kraft Mayonnaise, some fruit or nuts in case I get into a "pickle" and can't find anything suitable, maybe a dessert I know is safe, or whatever I think will work for me that particular day. I think one of the foremost lessons I've learned through the years is that I am responsible for my own well-being, and no one else really knows what I can eat or tolerate.

Since Celiac is genetic, some of my family members are now being tested, and already we have identified my new little grandson as gluten sensitive and allergic to milk and dairy. As time goes by, I predict that we will find that many other family members have the same thing we do, whether they are exhibiting symptoms or not.

I'll be wishing you Godspeed in your recovery! Welda

• 8 years later...
Jjphr Newbie

Pop Chips are a delicious low cal, low fat snack! They are expensixe but worth it. My regular restaurant stops are chipotle, pei Wei, pf Changsha, Carrabbas, outback steakhouse, Kona grill, and cantina Laredo. They all have gluten-free menus. Good luck!

psawyer Proficient

This topic is more than eight years old. The original poster has not been back since 2004.

Archived