This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Classico Sauces

Guest nini

Guest nini

I've noticed that the past three times I've made fettucini alfredo with Classico's Alfredo sauce (and Tinkyada pasta) that I've gotten ill within 20 minutes or so after eating... vicious "D"... my daughter also said her tummy bothered her immediately after eating it and she had to take some Pepto with me... I also noticed the last time I made Spagetti using a Classico sauce that I also got sick. I was hoping it was something else I had during the day and not the Classico sauces each time, but I KNOW today I was really careful and that was the only questionable thing I ate. And I was really hoping that it wasn't that making me sick because I like it so dang much.

So does anyone else have a problem with Classico sauces? I don't think I have a problem with soy, and dairy hasn't been a problem since about six months after going gluten-free. I thought that Classico sauces were safe for gluten-free? Am I wrong? Is it just me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I have not had a problem with classico. I eat both their red and white sauces. I am very sensitive to any gluten sneaking in. Hope you figure out your problem....maybe tomatoes or garlic?

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Becky6 Enthusiast

Nope, no problems with the red or white sauces. Sorry! Hope you figure it out!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I'm ok with them too.

:(

Turtle Enthusiast

No probs here either!

Guest nini

I cook with garlic in just about everything so I know it's not that, and I use tomato sauce/paste in tons of recipes too... I'm leaning toward the soy, although I tested soy recently and didn't appear to react to it. I'm aware that soy is not the best for you, but it didn't seem to bother me. And dairy, well, I eat dairy almost daily and don't get these problems... so frustrating. It just seems to be a common thread with this brand of sauces... criminy... if it's not gluten then I have no idea what it is.

oh and whatever it is, is affecting my daughter as well, she also has "d" and has been begging for pepto because her tummy hurts.

jknnej Collaborator

I use Classico all the time and have not had a problem

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Nini, could it be something you are using to cook them? An old pre-gluten-free plastic colander? An old wooden spoon? The pasta noodles?

codetalker Contributor

No gluten problem. However, now that I have a soy allergy, I'm down to just one soy-free Classico variety.

Guest nini

DANG IT!!!!!

ok it's an old collander... but hubby and I just can't buy that the old collander holds the gluten for more than 3 years... could it?

spoon was a fairly new metal slotted spoon.

pasta is Tinkyada... and I cook in stainless steel pans...

I was absolutely vigilant about cleaning the collander and I don't always have problems when I use it, so I don't think it's that...

It's gotta be the sauce... I may be just more sensitive than most of y'all!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

My 2 cents, Nini--sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to why something will make us sick. A while back, I know I had a reaction to a brand of chips that everyone else said they could eat just fine. I know that is was those chips that did it--I also know they were gluten-free. Don't drive yourself nuts about it--it probably was the sauce! :D;)

CarlaB Enthusiast

I made chili in a 16 quart pot, used an old wooden spoon, and got sick. Could be the colander. I better get a new one too!!!!

Have you ever used it that it didn't make you sick? If so, then it might not be it.

Guest nini

yes there have been times I've used the collander and didn't get sick. I'm still leaning toward the sauce since both my daughter and I got sick. She's still downing the pepto... and I've felt out of sorts all day. Hubby thinks it could've been the organic chicken since it didn't have any preservatives and that it may have been bad but I really don't think so. I bought it fresh and froze it immedieately and thawed in the microwave right before cooking it... The broccoli was frozen broccoli with nothing added (Publix brand)

since it appears that every time we've used the sauce we've gotten sick, I'm gonna go with the sauce even though they say it's gluten-free, and none of y'all seem to have a problem with it! LOL!

jkmunchkin Rising Star
My 2 cents, Nini--sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to why something will make us sick. A while back, I know I had a reaction to a brand of chips that everyone else said they could eat just fine. I know that is was those chips that did it--I also know they were gluten-free. Don't drive yourself nuts about it--it probably was the sauce! :D;)

I had that happen with Terra Chips. It was the only thing I had eaten so I know it was from that. Now I'm terrified of them.

Guest nini
I had that happen with Terra Chips. It was the only thing I had eaten so I know it was from that. Now I'm terrified of them.

now I'm terrified of Classico sauces... :(:(:(:unsure: (you'd think I would have made the connection the other times this happened with the Classico sauces!!!) :rolleyes:

jaten Enthusiast

I haven't tried the alfredo because of dairy intolerance, but the one time I had a Classico tomato based sauce I was sick, sick, sick. No doubt it was the Classico. I wont touch the stuff again.

utdan Apprentice

I've had problems with various spaghetti sauces in general (I don't remember Classico specifically). I don't know if this is true but I've heard that some food allergies come only in combinations. For instance a person may be able to eat peaches, oranges, and strawberries just fine by themselves but combine them and the person reacts.

Guest nini

hubby and I were trying to figure this out last night, and I don't react when I've made sauce from scratch or when I use Amy's family style marinara sauce... it's only the Classico that seems to bother me. And the chicken I made with it, I eat it at least several times a week and don't have problems with it...

I'm still really nauseas and sore and foggy headed and my sinuses are drippy

• 7 months later...
sspitzer5 Apprentice
So does anyone else have a problem with Classico sauces? I don't think I have a problem with soy, and dairy hasn't been a problem since about six months after going gluten-free. I thought that Classico sauces were safe for gluten-free? Am I wrong? Is it just me?

I had Classico sauce last night and got bloated and had a stomach ache, however, I don't think it's due to gluten. I'm also trying to figure out if there's something else that is bothering me, maybe the soy. I've had the Classico Organic Herbs and Tomato a few times and didn't seem to have a problem. I don't know if that one has soy or not (can't seem to find the ingredients online). But, I've also reacted to Amy's sauces. Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

S

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Classico made by Heinz? Or is it KRaft? I was on the phone with one of them the other day (both, actually but whoever makes them), the rep specifically said that the Classico's are gluten free. Now, me, personally, i make my own sauce in 8 quart batches and freeze them, so I don't buy jarred sauce. I was "told" they were gluten free.

:( could it be a preservative in them?

Guhlia Rising Star

Uh oh, Patti... Was it the Gibble's chips you reacted to?

Felidae Enthusiast

It's such a pain. But the only way you'll know for sure is if you try Classico again. It could be some wierd ingredient in their sauce that doesn't agree with you guys. I personally would just make sauce from scratch. It's pretty easy, cheap and quick. Then you know for sure exactly what is in the sauce. Sometimes packaged foods are a real pain in the a**!

debmidge Rising Star

..sure it isn't the high amount of lactose in the Alfredo sauce? At times I can get away with a miniscule amount of lactose, but not when it's too much. Due to this I avoid jarred Alfredo sauces. I am better off with fresh cream - strangely enough it has less impact on my guts than jarred Alfredo sauces do.

• 1 year later...
WhimsiKay Apprentice

This one is very old, but I am just getting over a worse-than-usual gluten event from last night. A Classico red sauce and Red Rose black tea were the only things I had that were out of the norm.

Maybe Classico is suffering a lot of cross-contamination in its factory or whatever? If they're saying it's gluten free, maybe they just don't realize something?

Anyway, figured I'd give a heads up. So far, Classico has made me sick every time -- I just wasn't eating great before, so I chalked it up to the risks I was taking. Now, after a 100% gluten-free weekend vacation (oh, so nice), I got sick the day after coming home and having the Classico sauce.

Bah!

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
This one is very old, but I am just getting over a worse-than-usual gluten event from last night. A Classico red sauce and Red Rose black tea were the only things I had that were out of the norm.

Maybe Classico is suffering a lot of cross-contamination in its factory or whatever? If they're saying it's gluten free, maybe they just don't realize something?

Anyway, figured I'd give a heads up. So far, Classico has made me sick every time -- I just wasn't eating great before, so I chalked it up to the risks I was taking. Now, after a 100% gluten-free weekend vacation (oh, so nice), I got sick the day after coming home and having the Classico sauce.

Bah!

Which sauce did you have (flavor)? Maybe your stomach cannot tollerate one of the ingredients in that flavor sauce. I have Classico Sauce all the time and have no problem stomach wise. I do get the after taste from the Tomato Basil though, so I have been trying different flavors.

I am not a tea drinker but have you checked out the tea you are drinking, if it is gluten free? Some are and some are not safe.

Hope you keep feeling better :)

Archived