#16 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

Welcome Robb! Great to have you.

You know, I used to be so strong, trained (weights and cardio) five days a week and climbed, hiked or skiied on weekends....not any more. :( I quit everything about 3 or 4 years ago...was sick of the gym and lost my urge to do crazy things, somehow. I think it had a lot to do with malnutrition. Just wondering, at 44, if I'll ever get the urge to train back, and I hope I will....

But, I digress. Can you address anything about a serious arm strain I've got going on? Totally blew out my forearm, and I have never had an injury, thank God (except whiplash), while moving my couch into another room (um, had to put it on its end and on its side to get it un-wedged from the doorway - I think it really was too big and too heavy and I should have waited for a strong male to do it :angry: )....I can no longer even undo my seatbelt due to right fore-arm strain. Will this ever get better? :( I can feel the raised knot/cord in the top of the forearm and it is going down to my hand and up my whole arm now. I can't really straighten it any more, either. I hate this! Really sympathizing with people who are injured or physically impaired, my friend has to come over and take a nail out of a stud in the wall (also didn't help that I hung a 50-pound mirror the same day as couch moving).

Any advice? Thanks!
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_Robb Wolf_*

Guest_Robb Wolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

Welcome Robb, I am also excited to have someone with all of your knowledge be a part of this forum!!

I noticed you mentioned skin tags. I just had a larger one removed this last week. I still have several really small ones in various places on my body, and they seem to run in my family on my mom's side, as well as diabetes. When I have my blood sugar tests taken I am always within normal range, the fasting level as well as the extended hour one where you drink the sugar solution throughout.

As far as my diet, it's a little tricky since I have multiple food intolerances, and for the most part I just don't have enough to vary and eat. All starches and grains make me swell up with enormous amounts of fluid retention that eventually will turn into weight gain. But if I take the starches/grains out I feel like a walking zombie, literally no energy whatsoever, losing a pound a day, and my bowels won't move for anywhere up to 7-15 days. This is the pattern I have been stuck in, and battling, for about 14 years. Either severe edema and weight gain with bowel movements, or weight loss and no energy without bowel movements.

This has really interfered with my fitness level. I had always been an athlete. I swam competitively for years, and was always really active with crosstraining- running, hiking, weights, aerobics. Now, I am either too swollen or I don't have any energy to burn.

Any advice or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Julie!
Skin tags appear to be a result of chronically elevated insulin levels. Now from my perspective the "normal" range for many lab tests is anything but normal and it is likely not indicative of being healthy. Keep in mind that a "normal" glucose tolerance test may be suspect simply form the fact that the numbers mainstream medicine accepts as normal may not be great for some people. Related to this is the fact that an oral glucose tolerance test does not show insulin levels either for that moment or throughout the day and that may be the more important consideration for skin tags, diabetes (type2), some types of cancers etc.

Hyperinsulinism can manifest in different ways in different people. One person may be overweight, another person may look slim but suffers form polycystic ovarian syndrome and depression. It's not a one disease, one symptom scenario. This is why hyperinsulinism is broadly categorized as "Syndrome X" and the list of problems related to elevated insulin levels grows longer with every day.

So what to do?
1-I'd try rotating your protein sources. Chicken one week, beef the next, pork the next etc. If the food sensitivities are really a problem sticking with one main protein source for about a week and then not doing that for a few weeks can be helpful.
2-Starches can be problematic not only from an insulin perspective but also digestion wise. Yams a sweet potatoes may be less problematic digestively but can be easily overdone...have you tried these? If you add loads of steamed veggies to your plan make sure to add a generous amount of olive oil, nuts or avocado to every meal. You need those fats to establish normal intestinal function and it will help you switch your metabolism to fat for most of your energy. You may feel like dookey for a few days. If you want to post a food log that will make it easier to see how you are responding to a specific protocol so things can be tinkered.

3-dairy can be problematic both with regards to insulin levels but also is a cross reactor with many celiacs. Oddly enough high fructose fruits such as apples and pears can also be problematic. Melons and berries which have a larger amount of glucose than fructose are often better tolerated.

Let me know if that stuff makes sense and if you want to get going on a plan. It may take some tinkering but you can find something that works!

#18 Guest_Robb Wolf_*

Guest_Robb Wolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. I am excited to have someone with your expertise on this forum and one who is willing to offer assistance. In the early 80's, I was a college athlete. I am now 45 years old and today I ran for the first time in 12 years. I have spent the last twelve years completely unable to run, barely able to lift weights and experienced an intense muscle failure even upon acceration during the first few minutes of biking, walking or walking up stairs. I have been told that I have a metabolic myopathy in the past and was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I have lost thirteen pounds since february and am excited to continue with weight loss. My question is, how do I get myself back to a regular running/weight lifting routine after so many years, what can I do to control my ravenous appetite after exercise and how can I increase stamina with diet? Thanks for your help. Tara

Tara-
I guess it goes without saying go slow in the beginning! Jumping straight into running may be too much. Walk, stretch, and get a little sun in the process. As you feel stronger wear a backpack with 5-10lbs of books in it and step up your walking pace. You cannot fire a cannon from a canoe! You need to re-establish a base of activity then add things like pushups against the wall, then from the knees etc. Safe easy progression.

Nutritionally grains (all types, particularly wheat) legumes and dairy can pose serious problems for autoimmune conditions. I'm not sure if your myopathy is autoimmune but it is common to see lupus, and RA amongst celiacs (I have RA but its pretty well controlled with diet).

So, try some easy non-fatiguing exercise 4-5 days per week for a week or two and see how that goes. Get 4-6 small meals with lean protein, lightly cooked veggies (raw may be a bit much for your digestion) and good fats form nuts, olive oil avocadoes etc. Try to keep all processed foods out of the picture 5 days out of 7. Its not rocket science but it works pretty well!

Rob, how do you prepare the sardines? I've tried buying sardines a couple of time but wasn't able to get past the yuck factor. Your salmon recipe looked good.

Have you studied coconut oil much? My husband is currently taking it to reduce inflammation for autoimmune disease and for a yeast infection. One doctor thought it might cause inflammation instead of calming it but I'm not sure she's up on her research.

The Bella Olhao sardines are pretty good as is. I just dump the can in a bowl of greens and go to town. You can find them at this site if you do not have Trader Joes nearby:
http://www.mybela.com/

Coconut oil can have some antimicrobial activity but if your husband has chronic inflammation and a potential yeast condition it’s a pretty safe bet he has insulin regulation issue. Some good books to read are The Omega Rx Zone and the Pericone Weight Loss Prescription. Elevated insulin levels lead to an increase in the prostaglandin pathway that governs inflammation. Smart nutrition, fish oil and exercise can dramatically improve most situations.

Welcome Robb! Great to have you.

You know, I used to be so strong, trained (weights and cardio) five days a week and climbed, hiked or skiied on weekends....not any more. :( I quit everything about 3 or 4 years ago...was sick of the gym and lost my urge to do crazy things, somehow. I think it had a lot to do with malnutrition. Just wondering, at 44, if I'll ever get the urge to train back, and I hope I will....

But, I digress. Can you address anything about a serious arm strain I've got going on? Totally blew out my forearm, and I have never had an injury, thank God (except whiplash), while moving my couch into another room (um, had to put it on its end and on its side to get it un-wedged from the doorway - I think it really was too big and too heavy and I should have waited for a strong male to do it :angry: )....I can no longer even undo my seatbelt due to right fore-arm strain. Will this ever get better? :( I can feel the raised knot/cord in the top of the forearm and it is going down to my hand and up my whole arm now. I can't really straighten it any more, either. I hate this! Really sympathizing with people who are injured or physically impaired, my friend has to come over and take a nail out of a stud in the wall (also didn't help that I hung a 50-pound mirror the same day as couch moving).

Any advice? Thanks!

Susan-
Sorry I did not see this sooner...I had my browser set in some weird configuration and only see a few of the posts! Ice massage to the hurt area is super important in the first 48hrs. Take a Styrofoam or paper cup and fill it 2/3 full of water. Freeze it. Peel the top of the cur down so you have 1-2" of ice exposed and an insulated handle. Push around on the hurt area and find the tender spots. Ice those spots by gently rubbing the ice in small circles until that area is numb (1-4 min depending upon the structure). It's not the most pleasant thing but it knocks the inflammation down. Do this 3-4 times a day initially and then anytime its sore. Move it as much as you can without sharp pain...just keep it mobile. Once you have pain free range of movement its time to start strengthing. Let me know when you get there and we can figure out some options.

#19 mart

mart

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:50 PM

Hi Robb - great to have you on board.

Can anyone tell me where I can get coconut oil? Maybe a stupid question, but does it come in a bottle or are they capsules?

#20 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hi Robb - great to have you on board.

Can anyone tell me where I can get coconut oil? Maybe a stupid question, but does it come in a bottle or are they capsules?

You can get it at health food stores. I'd recommend getting one that comes in a glass jar.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#21 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi Julie!
Skin tags appear to be a result of chronically elevated insulin levels. Now from my perspective the "normal" range for many lab tests is anything but normal and it is likely not indicative of being healthy. Keep in mind that a "normal" glucose tolerance test may be suspect simply form the fact that the numbers mainstream medicine accepts as normal may not be great for some people. Related to this is the fact that an oral glucose tolerance test does not show insulin levels either for that moment or throughout the day and that may be the more important consideration for skin tags, diabetes (type2), some types of cancers etc.

Hyperinsulinism can manifest in different ways in different people. One person may be overweight, another person may look slim but suffers form polycystic ovarian syndrome and depression. It's not a one disease, one symptom scenario. This is why hyperinsulinism is broadly categorized as "Syndrome X" and the list of problems related to elevated insulin levels grows longer with every day.

So what to do?
1-I'd try rotating your protein sources. Chicken one week, beef the next, pork the next etc. If the food sensitivities are really a problem sticking with one main protein source for about a week and then not doing that for a few weeks can be helpful.
2-Starches can be problematic not only from an insulin perspective but also digestion wise. Yams a sweet potatoes may be less problematic digestively but can be easily overdone...have you tried these? If you add loads of steamed veggies to your plan make sure to add a generous amount of olive oil, nuts or avocado to every meal. You need those fats to establish normal intestinal function and it will help you switch your metabolism to fat for most of your energy. You may feel like dookey for a few days. If you want to post a food log that will make it easier to see how you are responding to a specific protocol so things can be tinkered.

3-dairy can be problematic both with regards to insulin levels but also is a cross reactor with many celiacs. Oddly enough high fructose fruits such as apples and pears can also be problematic. Melons and berries which have a larger amount of glucose than fructose are often better tolerated.

Let me know if that stuff makes sense and if you want to get going on a plan. It may take some tinkering but you can find something that works!

Robb,

All this makes a lot of sense, thanks so much for your reply!

I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking, I don't want to take up too much of your time :)

1) I try to rotate what I am eating everyday because of my multiple food allergy/intolerance issues, is that a problem or is it better to do what you suggest, rotating the protein sources from week to week? Typically I have turkey as the protein for lunch but I rotate dinner between chicken, beef, and I am attempting to add in salmon as well. Eggs are out for now.

2) Do beets, winter squashes (spagetti, acorn, etc), or red skinned potatoes have the same properties as yams, sweet potatoes? What about legumes? I can eat yams and sweet potatoes, sometimes I have a half of one for dinner, but I would need to rotate it with possibly the things I listed here, or other low starch substitutes. If I had 3 or 4 starchy veggie options to rotate with my protein that would be great for my food allergy/intolerance issue.

3) Nuts (or seeds) don't seem to be my friend, especially almonds and peanuts. I showed throught the roof allergic to these 2 on my Igg Ige blood tests. Aren't nuts and seeds in general hard on a compromised digestion system? Since I took eggs out of my diet recently I have substituted them with fruit for breakfast, it would be nice if I could have a few nuts along with the fruit. I've been doing really well with melons so far btw.

4) How high of a risk is diabetes and/or breast cancer for me given I have already developed skin tags?

Thanks again for your expertise and time!!

#22 inquirer

inquirer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for your input Robb. We're finding our way through this quagmire. My husband was put on three series of antibiotics and then prednisone when he got sick with the autoimmune disease so I think that's where he initially got the yeast which is in his lungs. I understand that he has to follow some type of candida diet but it's hard to get him to make dietary changes going gluten free was hard enough. He's currently on Diflucan but I'd like him to take something less toxic. Finding out he was gluten sensitive and killing the yeast have been big steps in his recovery.

#23 whitball

whitball

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:18 PM

Robb, thanks for your advice. I appreciate your time. I plan to follow your suggestions. What is RA? and my thigh muscle biopsy showed that I had many, many small muscle fibers and there were a few denervated nerves in the sample. Do I need to do different exercises/diet based on the information presented from the biopsy? Tara
Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006
Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)
Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004
Hysterectomy 2003
3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions
Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

#24 Guest_Robb Wolf_*

Guest_Robb Wolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

Robb,

All this makes a lot of sense, thanks so much for your reply!

I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking, I don't want to take up too much of your time :)

1) I try to rotate what I am eating everyday because of my multiple food allergy/intolerance issues, is that a problem or is it better to do what you suggest, rotating the protein sources from week to week? Typically I have turkey as the protein for lunch but I rotate dinner between chicken, beef, and I am attempting to add in salmon as well. Eggs are out for now.

2) Do beets, winter squashes (spagetti, acorn, etc), or red skinned potatoes have the same properties as yams, sweet potatoes? What about legumes? I can eat yams and sweet potatoes, sometimes I have a half of one for dinner, but I would need to rotate it with possibly the things I listed here, or other low starch substitutes. If I had 3 or 4 starchy veggie options to rotate with my protein that would be great for my food allergy/intolerance issue.

3) Nuts (or seeds) don't seem to be my friend, especially almonds and peanuts. I showed throught the roof allergic to these 2 on my Igg Ige blood tests. Aren't nuts and seeds in general hard on a compromised digestion system? Since I took eggs out of my diet recently I have substituted them with fruit for breakfast, it would be nice if I could have a few nuts along with the fruit. I've been doing really well with melons so far btw.

4) How high of a risk is diabetes and/or breast cancer for me given I have already developed skin tags?

Thanks again for your expertise and time!!

Julie-
Here we go!

1)- Weekly rotation seems to minimize allergenic response. Ironically if one HAS an allergy only one exposure per week can keep antibodies at near maximum levels. It can certainly be a pain and get a bit monotonous but if one can stick to say chicken for a week, then shift to pork, then to beef...you will not see that main protein for quite some time. Be flexible! Don't get divorced, fired or alienated but give it a try for a month and see if the results are work the effort. That is ALWAYS the gold standard. How does it work for YOU? Theories are great but results are what matter.

2)Do beets, winter squashes (spagetti, acorn, etc), or red skinned potatoes have the same properties as yams, sweet potatoes? Those are all good foods from an allergy perspective but easy to overdo with regards to carb load. Try to get good amounts of vegetable matter to help blunt the insulin response. Legumes of all varieties are bad news IMO. Very high lectin load as with all the graminace (wheat, corn, rye oats etc). If one has an active autoimmune condition I'd be VERY wary of grains, legumes and dairy. This may not always be the way of things. As your immune system calms down and GI integrity improves you may be able to splurge with things like corn tortillas and other stuff. Just have to see about that!

3) You’re right, nuts and seeds can be very problematic. Coconut might be a good option. If you have a latex allergy bananas and avocadoes can be a problem. Again over time this should improve. Are you taking fish oil? This can be very helpful with inflammation and hyperactive allergy situations.

4)Cancer? No real way to know. Type 2 diabetes is (in my opinion) completely a disease of situation. Change your nutrition, exercise, sleep and you will not have type 2 diabetes. Not a popular position with the AMA and drug companies as a clean active lifestyle doe not sell glucophage and other drugs to manage these diseases. Related to the cancer: decrease your pre-diabetic symptoms and you will decrease your cancer risk.

I'd recommend a few books:
Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival
Sex, Lies and Menopause (One need be no where near menopause to benefit from this book...highly controversial but super important)

Omega Rx Zone

Protein Power: Life Plan (make sure to get the life plan version as an older PP book exists)

All of these are available through Amazon for like $2 per book. Some of the specifics differ from book to book but the main message of managing insulin, allergenic foods and immune function gone awry are consistent throughout. Let me know how it goes or if you have other questions.

Thanks for your input Robb. We're finding our way through this quagmire. My husband was put on three series of antibiotics and then prednisone when he got sick with the autoimmune disease so I think that's where he initially got the yeast which is in his lungs. I understand that he has to follow some type of candida diet but it's hard to get him to make dietary changes going gluten free was hard enough. He's currently on Diflucan but I'd like him to take something less toxic. Finding out he was gluten sensitive and killing the yeast have been big steps in his recovery.

That is some serious stuff you are contending with. I'm guessing he has an aspergillis infection obtained from his hospital stay? This stuff can be really tough...food serves so many purposes beyond just physical nourishment...just encourage him to eat clean, protein and veggies at every meal. Good fats etc. Even if it’s approached as a short-term intervention to help his condition perhaps that could be more appealing to him. Hang in there! You guys can do it

#25 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Robb, you mentioned glutamine in one of your posts - I have a question in another post on "energy drinks", but thought you might be able to help me. I was wondering if the new energy drink XS, which contains L glutamine and a bunch of B vitamins, would be good for a celiac to drink, or harmful. My boss (non-celiac and a runner) drinks these every day and gave me one today b/c off all the B vitamins. At first I though the glutamine in it would be bad, but then I saw some mentions of glutamine supplements for healing your intestines, so now I'm wondering if these energy drinks would be good for a newly diagnosed celiac to drink (I wouldn't drink them all the time - too expensive!). Any thoughts?

#26 Guest_Robb Wolf_*

Guest_Robb Wolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

Tara-
RA is Rheumatoid Arthritis. No serology for confirmation but the symptoms are very consistent. Regarding the denervation my thought would be to lean strongly towards resistance type training. This has enormous benefit for muscular dystrophy and other muscle wasting conditions. Aerobic exercise is great but people are strongly biased towards it and resistance training has amazing benefits. If you are not familiar with weights and or calisthenics you should find a good qualified trainer. If you want help finding one I might be able to help you sift through the good from the so-so. Just take it easy and start very slowly and conservatively.

Dionnek-

Is this the stuff:
http://www.xsgear.co.../drink_info.asp

My main concern would be the sucralose which can be a GI irritant in the heartiest of intestines to say nothing of celiacs. Its a pretty inefficient way to supplement glutamine. You can get 1/2kg of glutamine for $20-30 from almost any supplement store and take 5-10g per day. Its essentially tasteless so just shoot it down with a little water. The powdered form is less expensive and a Tbspn is ~5g. Cheap and easy!

#27 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hi Robb and welcome! I must have read over this thread 3 times now--so much of this is interesting to me. I was diagnosed with Celiac a year ago after being ill for 20 years. By the time I was dx, I had become too sick to work. The gluten-free diet helped right away, but after 4 months, I began to experience additional food intolerances that brought back a lot of my GI symptoms. I have spent the last 6 months or so figuring out what my problem foods are by trial and error. My list is in my signature. I am now feeling better every day. Legumes were the last thing that I realized were a problem--could you tell me why legumes would pose such a problem for me? Since I cut them out, the difference is amazing. One more question--how long should I continue to omit the foods I'm intolerant to (excluding gluten, of course)? Thank you for all of the time and attention you devote to the board :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#28 whitball

whitball

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

Tara-
RA is Rheumatoid Arthritis. No serology for confirmation but the symptoms are very consistent. Regarding the denervation my thought would be to lean strongly towards resistance type training. This has enormous benefit for muscular dystrophy and other muscle wasting conditions. Aerobic exercise is great but people are strongly biased towards it and resistance training has amazing benefits. If you are not familiar with weights and or calisthenics you should find a good qualified trainer. If you want help finding one I might be able to help you sift through the good from the so-so. Just take it easy and start very slowly and conservatively.
Dionnek-

Is this the stuff:
http://www.xsgear.co.../drink_info.asp

My main concern would be the sucralose which can be a GI irritant in the heartiest of intestines to say nothing of celiacs. Its a pretty inefficient way to supplement glutamine. You can get 1/2kg of glutamine for $20-30 from almost any supplement store and take 5-10g per day. Its essentially tasteless so just shoot it down with a little water. The powdered form is less expensive and a Tbspn is ~5g. Cheap and easy!

Thanks Robb. I have not started weight training yet. I worked in a gym several years ago and have taught a few body sculpting classes and also taught people how to use free weights/nautilus. I also have a few friends who are personal trainers, so, I should be okay. A few questions though, should I use nautilus or free weights? Less weight, more reps?
Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006
Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)
Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004
Hysterectomy 2003
3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions
Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

#29 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

Julie-
Here we go!

1)- Weekly rotation seems to minimize allergenic response. Ironically if one HAS an allergy only one exposure per week can keep antibodies at near maximum levels. It can certainly be a pain and get a bit monotonous but if one can stick to say chicken for a week, then shift to pork, then to beef...you will not see that main protein for quite some time. Be flexible! Don't get divorced, fired or alienated but give it a try for a month and see if the results are work the effort. That is ALWAYS the gold standard. How does it work for YOU? Theories are great but results are what matter.

2)Do beets, winter squashes (spagetti, acorn, etc), or red skinned potatoes have the same properties as yams, sweet potatoes? Those are all good foods from an allergy perspective but easy to overdo with regards to carb load. Try to get good amounts of vegetable matter to help blunt the insulin response. Legumes of all varieties are bad news IMO. Very high lectin load as with all the graminace (wheat, corn, rye oats etc). If one has an active autoimmune condition I'd be VERY wary of grains, legumes and dairy. This may not always be the way of things. As your immune system calms down and GI integrity improves you may be able to splurge with things like corn tortillas and other stuff. Just have to see about that!

3) You’re right, nuts and seeds can be very problematic. Coconut might be a good option. If you have a latex allergy bananas and avocadoes can be a problem. Again over time this should improve. Are you taking fish oil? This can be very helpful with inflammation and hyperactive allergy situations.

4)Cancer? No real way to know. Type 2 diabetes is (in my opinion) completely a disease of situation. Change your nutrition, exercise, sleep and you will not have type 2 diabetes. Not a popular position with the AMA and drug companies as a clean active lifestyle doe not sell glucophage and other drugs to manage these diseases. Related to the cancer: decrease your pre-diabetic symptoms and you will decrease your cancer risk.

I'd recommend a few books:
Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival
Sex, Lies and Menopause (One need be no where near menopause to benefit from this book...highly controversial but super important)

Omega Rx Zone

Protein Power: Life Plan (make sure to get the life plan version as an older PP book exists)

All of these are available through Amazon for like $2 per book. Some of the specifics differ from book to book but the main message of managing insulin, allergenic foods and immune function gone awry are consistent throughout. Let me know how it goes or if you have other questions.

Robb,

Yes, here we go! Thanks for answering all of my questions and thanks for these book suggestions.

I'm ready, I just needed a plan! I'm very good at following something when I know what it is to follow, and not knowing what to eat/what not to eat has been challenging, and I've been stumbling around trying to figure that out for too long. And the weekly rotation you suggest is totally the opposite of what we all have heard before as far as multiple food allergies go, but the other didn't yield results so I am interested in trying this out to see what happens.

Btw, you mentioned Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in a previous post and I forgot to add I was diagnosed with that (circa 1993-1994) as well as some of the other things listed below in my signature.

Just so I am on the page about getting started, what would you add/take away from my following daily eating plan (if it's not trouble that is):

breakfast- fruit (melons, berries, mango, etc.) (I'm concerned about what to do for protein and fat here, other nuts?)
lunch- turkey and avocado slices rolled up in lettuce leaves with baby carrots
dinner- chicken or beef with vegetables and a little olive oil (is this where I add in the yam and sweet potato?)

And, do I eat the same thing for every meal for one week, i.e. the same foods breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then switch foods every meal the next week?? Or is that just for protein?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I have all the details straight.

Thanks so much Robb.

#30 utdan

utdan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

Welcome Rob! I'm 30 and am starting to workout again after a few years. I'm probably not 100% healed in my gut from recent gluten contamination. My question is there any difference between cooking up salmon and other meats versus getting most of my protein from a brand supplement (I'm using "Muscle Milk" right now). Is there any advantage for muscle building? I know there are a billion other protein supplements out there but do you know of a good one? Some tout large portions of BCAA's and other stuff.
Dan

Negative blood work
gluten-free since 3/5/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: