This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Beeing Rediculuse

Lister

Lister Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

so my girlfriend wants to eat there after finding this list, but im hyper paranoid about 2 things A. cc since its a mexican restruant and B. that list is from 2004 so any of those things could have changed and i know that a employe there would not know anything

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Call corporate to ask about the accuracy of the old list. Then, when you go in, ask to speak to the manager and explain that you have a "very violent, immediate reaction from gluten and you don't wish that kind of clean-up on any restaurant's crew". He he he... Or something of that nature if you're really worried about it. If you speak to the manager, he/she should be able to help you out. You may have to explain in detail what gluten is and how cross-contamination can make you just as sick as the actual ingredients.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I'm imagining the spoons they have in the different beans and the rice; I'm seeing them touching the tortillas that they are blobbing those things into; I'm imagining a sensitive celiac not feeling too good later.

But then again, these are just my imaginings. I used to get the Baja Bowl there, but 1/2 jokingly just now, I convinced myself I can't anymore because of the spoon thing. You've eatn there, right? I don't know. What does anyone else think about the spoons.

gfp Enthusiast

Your girlfriend is proably just trying to be helpful and get you out?

At this stage of your gluten-free journey and all the confusion right now I'd probably say "Its really sweet but I need to just sort this out right now"

Girl Ninja Newbie

Maybe I'm too brave, but I would go for it. Maybe not just yet, but don't say never.

A restaurant near me has "stations" set up in the kitchen. There's a person in one corner who makes all the burritos and enchiladas and they have their own containers of ingredients instead of having to run all over the kitchen with stuff. Then other stations that handle salads, tacos, etc.

It's definitely worth talking to some of the staff. That's a skill we all need to have any way. Early in the day when they have a clean kitchen would probably be better. It could be good for a local restaurant to get to know you personally so that you have a "safe place." Afterall, their gluten list is only 7 things and maybe 4 of them would be possible contaminents. I'd feel better about that than any place that has bread baskets and soup crackers or splashing, dripping pasta water.

Lister Rising Star

i feel bad saying no, i keep shooting down every idea she has as sweet as they are, wether it be going out or she wanted to make me homemade enchaladas with gluten-free sauce and special chicken and everything and i told her no because i dont think my gut would be ready for the seasonings and such, i feel like a jerk i seriusly have shot down everything she keeps trying, and i know she is just trying to be thoughtfull

gfp Enthusiast
i feel bad saying no, i keep shooting down every idea she has as sweet as they are, wether it be going out or she wanted to make me homemade enchaladas with gluten-free sauce and special chicken and everything and i told her no because i dont think my gut would be ready for the seasonings and such, i feel like a jerk i seriusly have shot down everything she keeps trying, and i know she is just trying to be thoughtfull

Hey just go mild on the seasoning ...

As a base just use some coriander seed and cumin seeds and a pinch of celery salt.

Compensate with a bit more tomato and garlic ....

Same goes for salsa .. just add less chilli if your stomach is delicate.

I usually use tinned tomatoes, some coriander, cumin, lime-juice and some roasted peppers with the skin removed as a base and add various things to that...

guacamole same thing and sour cream if your not worrying about dairy (I don't I get a mild reaction if I push it)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

My advice is too start trying small bits of everything that is "gluten free". Not just to reward your girlfriends efforts, (good for her!) but for your own health. The more varied your diet, the better for you and more vitamins and minerals you get. Don't sit down and pig out on it, but small portions ... even a tablespoon full to start, and then slowly up the portions. Try and stop thinking of "what could happen" and try thinking logically.

Just my thoughts after 17 years experience.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I do think it's important (for both of you) that you try to start working with her on this one. Compromise a bit. She's got the right idea, and instead of saying "no", look for a way to turn her idea into a "yes". It may require modification, of course, but it'll help you de-stress about the situation, and help her as well.

Jinscoe Newbie

** Just noticed from another thread that you're from Corvallis so this posting won't do you much good. However, at least try and meet your friend half way by going out and maybe even getting the chips & salsa. At least the two of you are out and having a good time and you're eating safely. Just a thought**

Well... if you live in the Portland area you have plenty of choices for going out to eat. Safely. If you want gluten-free safe food go to Corbett Fish House in John's Landing area. Inexpensive and really, really good. Rice battered chicken strips, rice battered fish, sweet potato fries and all sorts of gluten-free items to choose from. Says so right on the menu. Even gluten-free desserts.

You have PF Changs. Andina. Grollo. Five Spice will even cater to a gluten-free diet. New Seasons has their "wok bowl" service where you choose as many items from the bar as you can fit into a bowl and they wok it up for you with your choice of meat of tofu... and the plum sauce is gluten free. Whole Foods has options as well. And from what I understand, though I haven't yet tried it, Chipotle has a burrito in a boel kind of thing that is gluten-free.

If you're in Portland you have plenty of options for eating out safely. If you want to go to Taco Del Mar and be sure that you're not getting anything you don't want... speak up to the person behind the counter. They're a laid back company and I'm sure they'll accomodate you.

Archived