Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gf Restaurants In Texas

3 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm a newbie. Found out last summer that I'm gluten-sensitive(whatever this means!), but I haven't really followed a gluten-free diet. I also have Crohn's Disease for the last 12 years so my diet is quite restricted from this problem already! I had a colonoscopy this February & my doc said I had minor inflammation, but that my digestion looked good. I'm concerned, though, because this past week I've been having constant cramping, diarrhea anytime I eat, and I'm becoming so tired. I cut bread, crackers, cookies, chips & pasta from my diet then went to the health food store. I bought gluten-free replacements EXCEPT bread. I've tried the frozen ones out there & I gagged! They're so dry. Anyone buy ready-made gluten-free bread they like? Or is homemade the way to go? Getting back to my topic title: I live in Austin, TX are they other restaurants that serve gluten-free besides PF Changs, Outback, Wendy's & McDonald's?

Thanks for listening to me,

Celina

P.S. Is "Enterolab" really the way to go for a definite Celiac diagnosis?

Ads by Google:

For anybody living in Austin, Tx I just got a reply from Johnny Carino's that they DO have a couple gluten-free menu items, but the website doesn''t say so. Here's what they said:

"Thank you for writing and sharing your comments with us. Unfortunately, we do not have a gluten free menu available at this time. The following are some of our menu items which are gluten free: Grilled Chicken Diavolo (without the pasta), Tuscan Ribeye, Pork Chops and our salads without the dressing.

We look forward to serving you again, soon!

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Gonzales

Guest Relations Administrator"

Hope this helps any fellow Central Texas Celiacs out!

Celina

These are Dallas area restaurants with gluten-free menus but they are probably in Austin as well. Boston Market, Pei Wei (very helpful), Spring Creek BBQ (entire restaurant gluten-free except rolls and cobbler), Don Pablo's, Bennigan's, Dickey's BBQ, Subway, Chick-fil-a, Jinbeh, Kobe's. Also, Royal Carribean cruise line out of Galveston was amazingly accomodating to the gluten-free diet. Food was amazing. They even made us gluten-free bread, which was delicious. Above and beyond- I highly recommend. Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Marip, Have you been diagnosed with celiac disease or Non-celiac Gluten Intolerance?  I notice you joined in 2014.  Did you ever go guten free?  How can we help?   Sorry, I'm not a stool expert!  You could Google it...  Malabsorption?  Standard lab tests that check for anemia and vitamin deficiencies, etc.  should help make that diagnosis.  
    • You can eat just a slice or two (or equivalent) of bread a day for accurate testing.   I understand about the high deductibles.  We're self-employed and we pay for our health insurance. 
    • Sure, if it's gluten free, then fine.  I am very allergic (like anaphylactic) to ibuprofen and aspirin.  So, in my case, I would just tough it out.  Go to bed.  Sleep it off.....eventually. My money is on the garlic and onions.  I can't consume those either (damn that zonulin/leaky gut -- google it along with Dr. Fasano).  I just season with salt, pepper.  Boring.  But no gut issues.  I'm hoping like my lactose intolerance (resolved), that I will get garlic and onions back.   Finally, sometimes just eating anything can hurt when you still have intestinal damage.  Hopefully, you'll feel better in two or three hours if it's celiac related.  Longer if it's an intolerance (leaky gut thing....) Hugs!      
    • I read on their website that all Advil is gluten free, I had such bad pinching cramping today(which I don't why since I prepared all my food at home today.) I made a pot roast, salt garlic, onions...No gluten but still pain, That's the only thing I ate today..I don't eat breakfast or anything.   Anyways.   Is it a good idea to take Advil for the cramping? That's how I would describe it like someone is reaching inside me and pinching me and twisting my insides.    This is what I took  
    • I'll give my PCP a call tomorrow and see what they can offer. My only worry is the expense as anymore tests will put me behind in being able to afford to see the GI. I have high deductible insurance but get money put into my HSA. I'm still trying to pay off the CT scan though. Which is why I'm trying to pick and choose which poses the greatest risk for me right now and what can wait. (Though I would prefer not to wait on any of it.)

I really do hope its only IBS. Though I always worry IBS is more or less a doctors way of saying "I have no clue" at that point. :C

Again, I'll be sure to give my PCP a call tomorrow then and see what the options are. I can feel a lot better trying the blood work first. however, once that is done, do I still need to be on a gluten diet before the endoscopy? Also, is it ok if I still mildly reduce the gluten. As in, can I avoid a whole wheat pasta dinner, but still be eating the peanut butter crackers? That sort of thing. Again I guess that is more of a doctor related question. I just wasn't sure if in order to raise your chance, you have to mass consume gluten or not. (Its already in just about everything to begin with.)   --Edit--
      I just now reread the part that you still need to be on the gluten foods even for biopsy so I'll be sure to do that too.

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tridoc927