This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ouch. Could It Be Tea?

clover

clover Rookie

I just drank a small pot of (loose) jasmine tea with a veggie/chicken stirfry at an upscale chinese restaurant. They swore up and down that the food didn't contain gluten. They even prepared it with wheat-free tamari for me, but now I am in SO MUCH pain. I have responded badly to some peppermint tea in the past so I am wondering if its the tea. Do any of you have reactions to tea???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Could CC have been an issue? Was there a language barrier? Did they truely understand what gluten was? Was the tea gluten free? I hope you're feeling better.

clover Rookie

Yes, perhaps CC. Thanks for your response!!

jenvan Collaborator

There is a chance the tea may have had gluten in it. Do you eat chinese food or consume caffeine often?

loraleena Contributor

Is it possible the tamari was wheat free but not gluten free? Also have you thought about MSG?

clover Rookie
There is a chance the tea may have had gluten in it. Do you eat chinese food or consume caffeine often?

This is my first chinese food this month (since i've been diagnosed). I try not to go out at all, really. But lunchtime can be hard. And I do drink a cup of coffee a day in the morning, and sometimes some green tea with dinner (maybe once/twice a week) when I want to stay awake past 9pm. I assume as I feel better, that it will no longer be necessary to battle the nighttime fatigue with caffeine, tho.

Why do you ask?

aikiducky Apprentice

If caffeine doesn't normally make you sick, it's more likely it was something in the food, methinks... CC wouldn't be a big surprise, it happens so easily.

Hope you feel better soon, in any case!

Pauliina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

You won't be going back there again, anytime soon I bet.

Sorry to hear you are so sick.

mouse Enthusiast

There are two types of Tamari soy sauce. One is gluten-free and one has wheat. I have bought the wrong one by mistake before and luckily have read the label (again) before I used it. They have different color labels (DUH). I probably don't remember the color of the label as I use soy maybe twice a year for a stir fry. I am so sorry that you got so sick and I hope you feel better real soon.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

If they cooked it in the same pan as they cook their regular stuff, CC most certainly would be the culprit.....

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I know that herbal teas can be a problem, and jasmine can either be green tea based or herbal. I looked on all my herbal teas when I was dx'd - all celestial seasonings so all gluten-free - but I did check. I would imagine Chinese jasmine tea to be of the green variety, so it doens't sound too likely it was the tea...on the other hand, do they do anything to the jasmine flowers to keep them dried & ready to be yummy.

p.s. jasmine tea is good for the digestion...in most cases anyway.

eKatherine Rookie

Tamari shouldn't have wheat in it. Tamari is a type of Japanese soy sauce that never has wheat by definition. Shoyu is the standard Japanese soy sauce that always contains wheat. But having said that, you should always read the labels, as this is not Japan.

Guest * Tina *
Tamari shouldn't have wheat in it. Tamari is a type of Japanese soy sauce that never has wheat by definition. Shoyu is the standard Japanese soy sauce that always contains wheat. But having said that, you should always read the labels, as this is not Japan.

On my quest for gluten-free soy sauce, I almost made the mistake of buying a Tamari that DID have wheat in it. It was right next to another brand of Tamari that didn't have wheat. So, it does exist. You just have to be so careful...

Archived