Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Brands Of gluten-free Bacon

28 posts in this topic

Is there any gluten-free bacon that is lean? I am trying to get more protien in my diet and am looking for something quick to add in the morning. I have always had trouble with grease and dont know how greasy regular bacon is because I havent had bacon in a long time-

thanks

Ads by Google:

Check out the bacons made by Kraft Foods. They will clearly list gluten on the label if it contains any.

Oscar Meyer has a way with B-A-C-O-N!! Yummy! (it's a Kraft product)

I like Hormel's "Thick Cut" Bacon -- it costs more, but it is very good bacon.

I buy mine from Market Day - which is kind of like a Gordon Food Service or Shwans, but also is a fundraisor too. Check it out at marketday.com One of the things I love about Market Day is each item has a little no wheat symbol right on it!!!

The bacon is very good, and is pre-cooked... it literally takes seconds in the microwave and is not as greasy as pan-fried.

Oscar Meyer has a way with B-A-C-O-N!! Yummy! (it's a Kraft product)

Yeah, Oscar Meyer... That's who I meant... :D

I like Applegate Farms. It's organic and nitrite-free and gluten-free too! It might be too much grease though...

So everything by Oscar Meyer that does not say specifically on the label made with wheat or gluten; then it is safe? A lot of their lunchmeat I thought contained gluten but I never saw it on the package.

So everything by Oscar Meyer that does not say specifically on the label made with wheat or gluten; then it is safe? A lot of their lunchmeat I thought contained gluten but I never saw it on the package.

That's right, since Oscar Mayer is a Kraft Company. Kraft's policy is that they will clearly list any gluten ingredients. I love their stuff--Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon is my favorite. I cook it in the microwave between paper towels and there is virtually no grease left!

Oh no! I read somewhere that bacon was OK to eat - wheat free. That might explain why I've been having some trouble.

I don't know what brand the bacon is at my cafeteria at work. So...there really is a chance of finding gluten in bacon??

The noly bacons I've ever seen that have gluten are Farmer John's (??) and the bacon at McDonalds, which isn't a real bacon anyway.

richard

Cheaper bacons have been known t use soy sauce as a sodium additive.

However, having said that, the only one I have definitively seen as having gluten are Farmer Johns, some Turkey Bacon and McDonalds Bacon

Bronco

Boar's Head bacon actually says gluten-free on the package! Tasty, too. I stock up when it's on sale. If you gotta have protein, might as well make it taste good. A Chinese co-worker once told me that when she first came to the US she asked her father (who had come earlier) what she should eat, and he said, "Bacon! It's delicious!" I wholeheartedly agree. :P

What about Basic Red bacon (Canada)? Anyone know? My hubby bought it without reading the label and it says *may contain spices and I can't find a website!

In her book, Shelley Case states that spices are safe in Canada and the US. I don't worry about them. Seasonings are a whole nuther ball game, though.

Be careful of the information in this thread, since it is over three years old, and some things may have changed. Kraft's labeling policy hasn't.

Wow! Thanks all for the bacon tips. Lane, I love your quote and avatar.

lisa

I have had succes with Great Value brand bacon (Walmart) and Costco sells Canadian back bacon that is gluten-free (Freybe) - that's leaner & more like ham.

I think I was glutened! And the only thing new I ate was Basic Red bacon. The ingredients say it MAY contain sugar, golden yellow sugar, potassium chloride, spices, dextrose and DOES contain pork, water, salt, sodium erythorbate.... it seems to be a bargain brand (darn hubby being cheap lol)... perhaps cc @ manufacturers?

I am sick... again :( Yesterday while my dh was frying up bacon, I was loading the dishwasher. After that I laid down for an hour for a nap. When I woke up I had a lump in my throat that got worse after I ate an omelette with bacon in it. I had total 3 strips of bacon, two in the omelette and one on the side. This afternoon d hit hard, and now I'm sore and nauseous.

The last two times I've eaten bacon I have paid for it. Won't be doing that again, but I would like to figure out what is causing it. I've only had bacon twice in the 4 months I've been gluten-free, but in that time I've also had hot dogs a couple of times (Hebrew National) and sausage and pepperoni on pizza a couple of times without issue. I know there are things in bacon (nitrates? nitrites?) that are also in all of those, but what is in bacon that is not in those that could make me sick??

My bacon is billed as side meat. I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two is, but my butcher has always had high quality meats so I don't *think* it's cheap bacon...

Any ideas?

The only bacons I've ever seen that have gluten are Farmer John's (??) and the bacon at McDonalds, which isn't a real bacon anyway.

richard

---------------------------------

OK that's it!! I've been dosed. I though I had been but couldn't figure what did it. And dosed for about 5 days straight with Farmer John's bacon.

I'm going for my colonoscopy finally a week from tomorrow, my driver gets all my bacon. I gave her a big box of food yesterday because I went through my spice shelf. Even the instant mashed potatoes????? had gluten. Hey potatoes--no gluten in them.

On the brighter side, I get my chest freezer tomorrow 14.8 cu feet, energy star. So I can make my own frozen mashed potatoes and just warm them up. So there!

I will go through my fridge freezer and locate all the food with gluten and she gets those too, bags of flour etc.

And I'm getting a/c installed within two weeks so I can cook during the summer on hot days.

Life is good and bad. :unsure:

better now on the diet.

Sure glad these old posts get saved a long time.

I am sick... again :( Yesterday while my dh was frying up bacon, I was loading the dishwasher. After that I laid down for an hour for a nap. When I woke up I had a lump in my throat that got worse after I ate an

-----------

dextrin or maltodextrin can mean gluten, malt from barley usually. gluten! There you go

You are responding to a 5 year old posting. Looking at Farmer Johns bacon website, it doesn't list malt, Maltodetrin, dextrin, or wheat.

Please note that maltodextrin is not made from barley. In the US & Canada it is usually made from corn. This is a list of safe ingredients:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

This is indeed one of the dangers of having so many old posts out there. You have to look at the dates.

It does appear from the Farmer John website that their bacon no longer has gluten. As I remember, it used to contain soy sauce with wheat. In fact, it also appears that the McDonald's bacon no longer contains wheat. So my post from five years ago is wrong.

I now know of NO bacon that has gluten.

And kareng is right, no wheat in maltodextrin unless it is marked as such. A few items from Europe MIGHT have maltodextrin from wheat, but it will be marked.

richard

It does appear from the Farmer John website that their bacon no longer has gluten. As I remember, it used to contain soy sauce with wheat. In fact, it also appears that the McDonald's bacon no longer contains wheat. So my post from five years ago is wrong.

Richard, that must be a very recent change. I looked at a package in the last 6 months or so and it still had soy sauce.

Richard, that must be a very recent change. I looked at a package in the last 6 months or so and it still had soy sauce.

And I haven't looked at a package since you can't get that brand here, but online it doesn't list soy sauce now.

richard