This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brands Of gluten-free Bacon

terps19

terps19 Contributor

Is there any gluten-free bacon that is lean? I am trying to get more protien in my diet and am looking for something quick to add in the morning. I have always had trouble with grease and dont know how greasy regular bacon is because I havent had bacon in a long time-

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Check out the bacons made by Kraft Foods. They will clearly list gluten on the label if it contains any.

penguin Community Regular

Oscar Meyer has a way with B-A-C-O-N!! Yummy! (it's a Kraft product)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I like Hormel's "Thick Cut" Bacon -- it costs more, but it is very good bacon.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I buy mine from Market Day - which is kind of like a Gordon Food Service or Shwans, but also is a fundraisor too. Check it out at marketday.com One of the things I love about Market Day is each item has a little no wheat symbol right on it!!!

The bacon is very good, and is pre-cooked... it literally takes seconds in the microwave and is not as greasy as pan-fried.

Guhlia Rising Star
Oscar Meyer has a way with B-A-C-O-N!! Yummy! (it's a Kraft product)

Yeah, Oscar Meyer... That's who I meant... :D

Mango04 Enthusiast

I like Applegate Farms. It's organic and nitrite-free and gluten-free too! It might be too much grease though...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terps19 Contributor

So everything by Oscar Meyer that does not say specifically on the label made with wheat or gluten; then it is safe? A lot of their lunchmeat I thought contained gluten but I never saw it on the package.

jerseyangel Proficient
So everything by Oscar Meyer that does not say specifically on the label made with wheat or gluten; then it is safe? A lot of their lunchmeat I thought contained gluten but I never saw it on the package.

That's right, since Oscar Mayer is a Kraft Company. Kraft's policy is that they will clearly list any gluten ingredients. I love their stuff--Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon is my favorite. I cook it in the microwave between paper towels and there is virtually no grease left!

Lane R Rookie

Oh no! I read somewhere that bacon was OK to eat - wheat free. That might explain why I've been having some trouble.

I don't know what brand the bacon is at my cafeteria at work. So...there really is a chance of finding gluten in bacon??

lovegrov Collaborator

The noly bacons I've ever seen that have gluten are Farmer John's (??) and the bacon at McDonalds, which isn't a real bacon anyway.

richard

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Cheaper bacons have been known t use soy sauce as a sodium additive.

However, having said that, the only one I have definitively seen as having gluten are Farmer Johns, some Turkey Bacon and McDonalds Bacon

Bronco

lpellegr Collaborator

Boar's Head bacon actually says gluten-free on the package! Tasty, too. I stock up when it's on sale. If you gotta have protein, might as well make it taste good. A Chinese co-worker once told me that when she first came to the US she asked her father (who had come earlier) what she should eat, and he said, "Bacon! It's delicious!" I wholeheartedly agree. :P

• 3 years later...
JillianLindsay Enthusiast

What about Basic Red bacon (Canada)? Anyone know? My hubby bought it without reading the label and it says *may contain spices and I can't find a website!

psawyer Proficient

In her book, Shelley Case states that spices are safe in Canada and the US. I don't worry about them. Seasonings are a whole nuther ball game, though.

Be careful of the information in this thread, since it is over three years old, and some things may have changed. Kraft's labeling policy hasn't.

oceangirl Collaborator

Wow! Thanks all for the bacon tips. Lane, I love your quote and avatar.

lisa

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I have had succes with Great Value brand bacon (Walmart) and Costco sells Canadian back bacon that is gluten-free (Freybe) - that's leaner & more like ham.

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

I think I was glutened! And the only thing new I ate was Basic Red bacon. The ingredients say it MAY contain sugar, golden yellow sugar, potassium chloride, spices, dextrose and DOES contain pork, water, salt, sodium erythorbate.... it seems to be a bargain brand (darn hubby being cheap lol)... perhaps cc @ manufacturers?

• 4 weeks later...
boysmom Explorer

I am sick... again :( Yesterday while my dh was frying up bacon, I was loading the dishwasher. After that I laid down for an hour for a nap. When I woke up I had a lump in my throat that got worse after I ate an omelette with bacon in it. I had total 3 strips of bacon, two in the omelette and one on the side. This afternoon d hit hard, and now I'm sore and nauseous.

The last two times I've eaten bacon I have paid for it. Won't be doing that again, but I would like to figure out what is causing it. I've only had bacon twice in the 4 months I've been gluten-free, but in that time I've also had hot dogs a couple of times (Hebrew National) and sausage and pepperoni on pizza a couple of times without issue. I know there are things in bacon (nitrates? nitrites?) that are also in all of those, but what is in bacon that is not in those that could make me sick??

My bacon is billed as side meat. I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two is, but my butcher has always had high quality meats so I don't *think* it's cheap bacon...

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
gailc Newbie

The only bacons I've ever seen that have gluten are Farmer John's (??) and the bacon at McDonalds, which isn't a real bacon anyway.

richard

---------------------------------

OK that's it!! I've been dosed. I though I had been but couldn't figure what did it. And dosed for about 5 days straight with Farmer John's bacon.

I'm going for my colonoscopy finally a week from tomorrow, my driver gets all my bacon. I gave her a big box of food yesterday because I went through my spice shelf. Even the instant mashed potatoes????? had gluten. Hey potatoes--no gluten in them.

On the brighter side, I get my chest freezer tomorrow 14.8 cu feet, energy star. So I can make my own frozen mashed potatoes and just warm them up. So there!

I will go through my fridge freezer and locate all the food with gluten and she gets those too, bags of flour etc.

And I'm getting a/c installed within two weeks so I can cook during the summer on hot days.

Life is good and bad. :unsure:

better now on the diet.

Sure glad these old posts get saved a long time.

gailc Newbie

I am sick... again :( Yesterday while my dh was frying up bacon, I was loading the dishwasher. After that I laid down for an hour for a nap. When I woke up I had a lump in my throat that got worse after I ate an

-----------

dextrin or maltodextrin can mean gluten, malt from barley usually. gluten! There you go

kareng Grand Master

You are responding to a 5 year old posting. Looking at Farmer Johns bacon website, it doesn't list malt, Maltodetrin, dextrin, or wheat.

Please note that maltodextrin is not made from barley. In the US & Canada it is usually made from corn. This is a list of safe ingredients:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

lovegrov Collaborator

This is indeed one of the dangers of having so many old posts out there. You have to look at the dates.

It does appear from the Farmer John website that their bacon no longer has gluten. As I remember, it used to contain soy sauce with wheat. In fact, it also appears that the McDonald's bacon no longer contains wheat. So my post from five years ago is wrong.

I now know of NO bacon that has gluten.

And kareng is right, no wheat in maltodextrin unless it is marked as such. A few items from Europe MIGHT have maltodextrin from wheat, but it will be marked.

richard

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

It does appear from the Farmer John website that their bacon no longer has gluten. As I remember, it used to contain soy sauce with wheat. In fact, it also appears that the McDonald's bacon no longer contains wheat. So my post from five years ago is wrong.

Richard, that must be a very recent change. I looked at a package in the last 6 months or so and it still had soy sauce.

lovegrov Collaborator

Richard, that must be a very recent change. I looked at a package in the last 6 months or so and it still had soy sauce.

And I haven't looked at a package since you can't get that brand here, but online it doesn't list soy sauce now.

richard

Archived