27 replies to this topic

#16 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

Wow! Thanks all for the bacon tips. Lane, I love your quote and avatar.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:09 AM

I have had succes with Great Value brand bacon (Walmart) and Costco sells Canadian back bacon that is gluten-free (Freybe) - that's leaner & more like ham.

#18 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

I think I was glutened! And the only thing new I ate was Basic Red bacon. The ingredients say it MAY contain sugar, golden yellow sugar, potassium chloride, spices, dextrose and DOES contain pork, water, salt, sodium erythorbate.... it seems to be a bargain brand (darn hubby being cheap lol)... perhaps cc @ manufacturers?

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#19 boysmom

boysmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

I am sick... again :( Yesterday while my dh was frying up bacon, I was loading the dishwasher. After that I laid down for an hour for a nap. When I woke up I had a lump in my throat that got worse after I ate an omelette with bacon in it. I had total 3 strips of bacon, two in the omelette and one on the side. This afternoon d hit hard, and now I'm sore and nauseous.

The last two times I've eaten bacon I have paid for it. Won't be doing that again, but I would like to figure out what is causing it. I've only had bacon twice in the 4 months I've been gluten-free, but in that time I've also had hot dogs a couple of times (Hebrew National) and sausage and pepperoni on pizza a couple of times without issue. I know there are things in bacon (nitrates? nitrites?) that are also in all of those, but what is in bacon that is not in those that could make me sick??

My bacon is billed as side meat. I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two is, but my butcher has always had high quality meats so I don't *think* it's cheap bacon...

Any ideas?

#20 gailc

gailc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

The only bacons I've ever seen that have gluten are Farmer John's (??) and the bacon at McDonalds, which isn't a real bacon anyway.

richard

---------------------------------
OK that's it!! I've been dosed. I though I had been but couldn't figure what did it. And dosed for about 5 days straight with Farmer John's bacon.
I'm going for my colonoscopy finally a week from tomorrow, my driver gets all my bacon. I gave her a big box of food yesterday because I went through my spice shelf. Even the instant mashed potatoes????? had gluten. Hey potatoes--no gluten in them.

On the brighter side, I get my chest freezer tomorrow 14.8 cu feet, energy star. So I can make my own frozen mashed potatoes and just warm them up. So there!
I will go through my fridge freezer and locate all the food with gluten and she gets those too, bags of flour etc.

And I'm getting a/c installed within two weeks so I can cook during the summer on hot days.

Life is good and bad. :unsure:
better now on the diet.

Sure glad these old posts get saved a long time.

#21 gailc

gailc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

[quote name='boysmom' timestamp='1253321076' post='562954']
I am sick... again :( Yesterday while my dh was frying up bacon, I was loading the dishwasher. After that I laid down for an hour for a nap. When I woke up I had a lump in my throat that got worse after I ate an
-----------
dextrin or maltodextrin can mean gluten, malt from barley usually. gluten! There you go

#22 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

You are responding to a 5 year old posting. Looking at Farmer Johns bacon website, it doesn't list malt, Maltodetrin, dextrin, or wheat.

Please note that maltodextrin is not made from barley. In the US & Canada it is usually made from corn. This is a list of safe ingredients:

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#23 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

This is indeed one of the dangers of having so many old posts out there. You have to look at the dates.

It does appear from the Farmer John website that their bacon no longer has gluten. As I remember, it used to contain soy sauce with wheat. In fact, it also appears that the McDonald's bacon no longer contains wheat. So my post from five years ago is wrong.

I now know of NO bacon that has gluten.

And kareng is right, no wheat in maltodextrin unless it is marked as such. A few items from Europe MIGHT have maltodextrin from wheat, but it will be marked.

richard

#24 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

It does appear from the Farmer John website that their bacon no longer has gluten. As I remember, it used to contain soy sauce with wheat. In fact, it also appears that the McDonald's bacon no longer contains wheat. So my post from five years ago is wrong.

Richard, that must be a very recent change. I looked at a package in the last 6 months or so and it still had soy sauce.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#25 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

Richard, that must be a very recent change. I looked at a package in the last 6 months or so and it still had soy sauce.

And I haven't looked at a package since you can't get that brand here, but online it doesn't list soy sauce now.

richard

#26 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

I don't know what brand of bacon I used last week, but it sure got me. I think it was the store brand but will have to check out the ingredients next time I shop. But will just check ingredients--not buy.

#27 lovinevrymnut

lovinevrymnut

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

I buy Wright Brand bacon at Sam's Club and Walmart. The maple flavored, and brown sugar flavors have gluten.

#28 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I buy Wright Brand bacon at Sam's Club and Walmart. The maple flavored, and brown sugar flavors have gluten.

That is odd.  I have never seen a bacon with gluten.  I couldn't see the ingredients on thier website.  They have wheat?  or Malt?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: