4 replies to this topic

#1 happiestgirl

happiestgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:12 AM

Last year (in September of 2005, I believe), I had some routine blood work done, and my doctor told me that my red blood cells were "extraordinarily tiny," and "malformed." He said they looked like frisbees that had been held over an open flame and had twisted and turned at odd angles. He never went into details about it, so I don't know if there is a name for this condition, or even if it is Celiac-related. I've always been anemic, and the last round of bloodwork showed a "dangerously low level" of iron in my blood. I was just Dx'ed with Celiac last month, and am still trying to accept it and understand all the changes I am now required to make and still live a semi-normal life. I do have a family history of Myelodysplastic Syndrome (or "pre-leukemia") in my family, but with all the other life-long health problems I have that are seeming to relate to Celiac in one way or another (or both!), I just wondered if anyone else had this kind of red blod cell thing happen to them. I am a bit confused and very scared. I guess I just don't know how to ask my Doc about it without sounding paranoid or panicky. Any info or insight any of y'all could provide would indeed mean the world to me. Thanks for reading this and many blessings to you and yours.

jenn.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:13 AM

I have "petite" red blood cells, also. I had a doctor tell me that it had to do with a genetic disorder (that effects those of middle eastern descent?). That doctor was an idiot, she also tried to tell me I threw up because I was bulemic :rolleyes: Right, that whole excruciating pain thing had nothing to do with it.

But I digress...

It's my understanding that small blood cells have to do with iron deficiency anemia, and isn't as big a deal as it sounds. In my understanding, it's iron deficiency anemia. With celiac, we tend to get really bad anemia.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#3 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:23 AM

Hi and welcome! Love your name-Happiestgirl!

I had severe anemia at one point and the dr. told me a similar thing--sickly red blood cells. I know there are some people on here who have had pernicious anemia as well. I think you have found the right place here (lots of great info) and that you will be feeling better soon. Take care,
Robbin

#4 loraleena

loraleena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

My red cell are ok, but my platelets are low. Now they think I have an autoimmune disorder that attacks my platelets. What the heck! I wonder is blood issues are related?!

#5 coldandhardy

coldandhardy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:48 AM

[font=Times New Roman][size=7]

Last year (in September of 2005, I believe), I had some routine blood work done, and my doctor told me that my red blood cells were "extraordinarily tiny," and "malformed." He said they looked like frisbees that had been held over an open flame and had twisted and turned at odd angles. He never went into details about it, so I don't know if there is a name for this condition, or even if it is Celiac-related. I've always been anemic, and the last round of bloodwork showed a "dangerously low level" of iron in my blood. I was just Dx'ed with Celiac last month, and am still trying to accept it and understand all the changes I am now required to make and still live a semi-normal life. I do have a family history of Myelodysplastic Syndrome (or "pre-leukemia") in my family, but with all the other life-long health problems I have that are seeming to relate to Celiac in one way or another (or both!), I just wondered if anyone else had this kind of red blod cell thing happen to them. I am a bit confused and very scared. I guess I just don't know how to ask my Doc about it without sounding paranoid or panicky. Any info or insight any of y'all could provide would indeed mean the world to me. Thanks for reading this and many blessings to you and yours.

jenn.

Many years ago the family doctor discovered that my blood cells looked malformed (I don't recall if it was the red's or the white's). He suggested it may be cancer so they put me in the hospital for checks. All of the family from many miles around came to see me off (so to speak) over the next week or so. Then it was discovered that I had mono (kissing disease) and that odd looking blood cells are common with the disease! Here I am 40+ years later. Still kicking (and kissing too) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: