This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Milk And Gas

shai76

shai76 Explorer

My son was on Alimentum RTF the first year of his life, but still had vomiting problems and bowel problems from that. He is allergic to dairy and some of the proteins, even broken down, caused him problems. We tried switching him to soy milk at 1 but he had an allergic reaction. He was on rice milk since and did great. I just made sure he got his fat and protein in the solids he ate, like meats and veggies cooked in olive oil, or flax. Now that he is 2 I wanted to try him on soy again. He didn't have an allergic reaction, which made me happy, but he got gas really bad. He was so bloated he looked terribly uncomfortable. e would stinker constantly and it smelled worse then it ever had. And he had been a bit constipated from it too. I put him back on rice milk today and he is pooping normally and doing fine.

Is this a common reaction to soy? Does it seem like an intolerance? He seemed to be reacting to soy the same way some people do to gluten! I don't know if I should give it to him at all again or what.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I would definitley keep him off of soy milk. That definitely sounds like a soy intolerance. If he's doing well with rice milk that's great, keep him on that!

I'm to the point where I barely use any sort of "milk." I'll occasionaly drink rice or almond, but it's so hard to find a milk that's soy, dairy, gluten and additive-free.

Many of the non-dairy milks (especially soy) contain carageenan, which can cause the bloating and gas as well. Here's some info on that:

Open Original Shared Link

AndreaB Contributor

It sounds like he had a reaction to the soy. My husband had a lot of gas with soy as well and we just found out he is intolerant through enterolab. Soy can cause just as much intestinal problems as gluten from what I've read. It is also a cummalative allergen and similar to peanuts. From the same family. Don't know if you would want to try different forms of soy and see if that is a problem or just cut it out altogether. I would cut it out as it sounds like an allergic reaction but that is a personal decision.

Glad he's feeling better again.

shai76 Explorer

Thanks for your replys. I think I will take your advice and definitly keep him off the soy milk. I always worried because the rice milk does not have the fat and protein of the cows milk or soy. I always go over his diet with a nutritionist at Children's Hospital and she is always stressing to put oil in his rice milk, but when I tried it he threw it up, so I stopped. Despite he worries he has been gaining weight nicely. He is in the 50th percentile. When he was on Alimentum he was only in the 3rd percentile.

He's still on a elimination diet, and since he did not react well to soy, or wheat, when I challenged them, I think I will keep him on the diet for a few more years and then see how he does. He eats enough meat and potatos and fruits/veggies, but I worry sometimes because it goes against "mainstream" and what "they" always tell us to do. "They" say we need cows milk, and Cheerios. It's just a different kind of thinking all together. :blink:

Mango04 Enthusiast

I stopped believing what "they" say a loooong time ago :) Human beings evolved without dairy...and without Cheerios :D

AndreaB Contributor

You don't need cows milk. I do and would like to get back to some cow products, mainly butter. Do you realize that we are the only "creatures" that still drink milk after being weaned? Milk is good on cereal but rice milk or almond milk do just great for that. The calcium is an issue but the other "milks" are fortified. Cheerios, hogwash. That is not a main staple need, just convenient finger food. There are always Perky O's which we just bought but haven't tried. I'm still trying to figure out breakfast for the kids that doesn't always include cereal. They aren't overly fond of eggs or meat (we just left off the vegan diet due to allergies). My husband and I were raised on meat so it's no big deal to us. Just like getting babies to try new food. I don't remember if you said your little one was celiac or gluten intolerant. What about avocado, does he/can he tolerate that?

Nancym Enthusiast

I've learned that gas and bloating are symptoms of food intolerance and should be taken very seriously. We always laughed it off in our family, I figured everyone farted all the time because it was what I grew up with. Now I realize that was a symptoms of our intolerances.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shai76 Explorer
You don't need cows milk. I do and would like to get back to some cow products, mainly butter. Do you realize that we are the only "creatures" that still drink milk after being weaned? Milk is good on cereal but rice milk or almond milk do just great for that. The calcium is an issue but the other "milks" are fortified. Cheerios, hogwash. That is not a main staple need, just convenient finger food. There are always Perky O's which we just bought but haven't tried. I'm still trying to figure out breakfast for the kids that doesn't always include cereal. They aren't overly fond of eggs or meat (we just left off the vegan diet due to allergies). My husband and I were raised on meat so it's no big deal to us. Just like getting babies to try new food. I don't remember if you said your little one was celiac or gluten intolerant. What about avocado, does he/can he tolerate that?

He hasn't shown any signs of gluten intolerance, but he is allergic to wheat. He gets hives and his reflux worsens, and eczema. He eats Rice Chex, which contain malted barely and they haven't caused him any problems. That's the only gluten he eats. I tried giving him bread once and he hated it, so I don't even bother. He eats potatos, rice, rice pasta, stuff like that instead of wheat. His favorite food is the Namasta pancakes which I make with Energy egg replacer because he hasn't started eggs yet and I am anaphelectic to eggs so we don't keep them in the house. He likes meat and veggies and fruit. I let him have potato chips sometimes and cookies I buy at the health food store made by Good Life (I think that is the brand name).

I've never given him avocado. I wouldn't even begin to know how to cook it! Any suggestions?

I've learned that gas and bloating are symptoms of food intolerance and should be taken very seriously. We always laughed it off in our family, I figured everyone farted all the time because it was what I grew up with. Now I realize that was a symptoms of our intolerances.

He seemed very uncomfortable. His belly was just so bloated out it was scary. His gas was so smelly I kept checking to see if he pooped, but he hadn't went for a couple days. I tried him on soy for about 2 weeks. He went back onthe rice milk last night. He's already doing so much better. His little belly is back down to normal, he's pooping normal, and he no longer has smelly constant gas. I know gas is normal, but not to that extent! He was farting like every minute at least and I even tried gas medicine and it didn't help at all.

AndreaB Contributor

I've never cooked avocado. It's a very good "fruit" to eat. People usually think of it as a vegetable. It can be served as is in slices, mashed or pureed with other fruits (bananas, pears, applesauce). It may take awhile for him to get used to them. They make a great spread mixed with mayonnaise. I posted a whole bunch of mayonnaise recipes on some post on here. You could make almond or cashew mayonnaise and add the avocado with that. That would be good for a sandwich spread or salad type dressing. It makes a great taco salad. We were using veganaise when we made it, I still have to try the almond or cashew mayonnaise with that. He might not even mind it mixed with his rice or rice pasta. Don't know. If he's not picky about the color of things he eats and isn't like my oldest who will say she doesn't like something before trying it, it may do good to mix it first. If he's not a picky eater, he may like it all by itself.

jenvan Collaborator

Why did you want to put him back on soy? I would also steer clear. If I drink soy milk I get abdominal pains and really bad gas too--and that very rarely ever happens to me. Soy is often not tolerated well. One of the top 8 food allergies.

shai76 Explorer
I've never cooked avocado. It's a very good "fruit" to eat. People usually think of it as a vegetable. It can be served as is in slices, mashed or pureed with other fruits (bananas, pears, applesauce). It may take awhile for him to get used to them. They make a great spread mixed with mayonnaise. I posted a whole bunch of mayonnaise recipes on some post on here. You could make almond or cashew mayonnaise and add the avocado with that. That would be good for a sandwich spread or salad type dressing. It makes a great taco salad. We were using veganaise when we made it, I still have to try the almond or cashew mayonnaise with that. He might not even mind it mixed with his rice or rice pasta. Don't know. If he's not picky about the color of things he eats and isn't like my oldest who will say she doesn't like something before trying it, it may do good to mix it first. If he's not a picky eater, he may like it all by itself.

It's funny that you mention color of food because he will not eat anything red. No straweberries. No cherries. I don't know what his thing is with red, but he will not eat it.

Oh, and he says he like everything, but that does not mean he will try it. I put things he hates in front of him and he yells "yummy' then he will just play with it.. I don't force the issue with him on it though. Usually he will try new things I put in front of him, as long as it is not red. As long as he tries it I'm happy.

Why did you want to put him back on soy? I would also steer clear. If I drink soy milk I get abdominal pains and really bad gas too--and that very rarely ever happens to me. Soy is often not tolerated well. One of the top 8 food allergies.

Soy milk is higher in fat and protein, and it's cheaper. That's about the only reasons I wanted to try him on it.

I'm allergic to soy, but I was hoping he wasn't.

key Contributor

My mom tried to give me soy as a baby and I couldn't tolerate it. Now I am 31 and have tried eating it most of my life. It does the same thing to me. I would definitely avoid it for him.

Monica

gfp Enthusiast
You don't need cows milk. I do and would like to get back to some cow products, mainly butter. Do you realize that we are the only "creatures" that still drink milk after being weaned?

I was once watching some silly TV prog with a chinese acrobat/dancer on some sort of search for a star.

The presenters did the whole congrats then said "Oh but we westerners can't bend like this because we are less flexible" and she just laughed and said "no because you drink milk" - quick cut to commercials....

mom in Iowa Newbie

Have you tried virgin coconut oil as a source of fats? it is also one of the only other sources of mcfa's (breast milk is the other). it may taste better in his rice milk too.

shai76 Explorer
Have you tried virgin coconut oil as a source of fats? it is also one of the only other sources of mcfa's (breast milk is the other). it may taste better in his rice milk too.

No I never tried that. Where could I buy coconut oil?

AndreaB Contributor
No I never tried that. Where could I buy coconut oil?

Try to find spectrum if you can. They are sold at health food stores. Fred Meyer/Krorger may have it. Wild Oats has it. I haven't really looked into regular grocery stores.

jerseyangel Proficient

Both my Acme and Wegmans (regular grocery stores) carry Spectrum Coconut Oil.

shai76 Explorer

We don't have any of those stores here in hick town Pennsylvania, but maybe if I take a look around I can find some. Is it usually found in with the baking stuff, or with the international foods?

AndreaB Contributor
We don't have any of those stores here in hick town Pennsylvania, but maybe if I take a look around I can find some. Is it usually found in with the baking stuff, or with the international foods?

Where are you in Pennsylvania. My SIL lives in Milton. I could contact her and see if she has found it over there. Her and hubby were over here (Washington) for a year and I know she bought Spectrum here. She has said it is harder to find health food type stuff in Pennsylvania as opposed to Washington but she has found some good stores.

jerseyangel Proficient

At Acme it's with the regular oils and shortenings. At Wegman's, it's in the natural section.

shai76 Explorer

Thanks!

I'm in North Western Pennsylvania, about 50 miles south of Lake Erie.

Archived