This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Blisters

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

If you are someone who gets mouth sores or blisters how soon do they show up after you've eaten something bad? Is it the same every time or does it vary? Trying to figure out where my blisters are coming from. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lister Rising Star

they could be just canker sores, and can be totaly unrelated to food can just happen. but i meen it could also be from food sorry i could not be of more help, i personaly have a nasty canker sore right now that ihave had for 3 days so far, but i know it was not from food

jmengert Enthusiast

Mouth sores are one of my glutening symptoms, and mine appear late--about a week after I've been glutened.

Mango04 Enthusiast

The other day I was eating lunch with my mom (who also avoids gluten but she doesn't really believe me when I say I'm super crazy sensitive to trace amounts of things). Anyway right after I ate my tounge instantaneously broke out in a massive sore/hive type thing. I showed it to my mom and she seriously couldn't believe I reacted that quickly. At least she believes me now :D. I ate one walnut and I think that's what I reacted to.

When I get blisters though, it's not always so instantaneous. Its sometimes a day later. I had some almond milk with carageenan in it (my new least favorite substance) and I got blisters in my mouth later that day. I guess it usually varies.

That probably doesn't help you much, sorry Rachel. I actually realized that these sores and blister things I get were symptoms of my food intolerances when I was reading your "OMG..." thread/book, so thanks for helping me realize that. B)

Green12 Enthusiast
If you are someone who gets mouth sores or blisters how soon do they show up after you've eaten something bad? Is it the same every time or does it vary? Trying to figure out where my blisters are coming from. :unsure:

Mine are almost immediately while eating to right after eating. Sometimes even later in that same day, or evening, depending on when I ate the suspicious substance. But they seem to go away quickly too, like the next day. Weird.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm another one who gets them about a week later. I have one now that I attribute to all of the dried fruit/Lara Bars I ate last weekend and in the few days before that. I didn't feel real well all this week, and the mouth sore showed up yesterday.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hmm....seems like it can vary in when they show up. A week later...I would have never thought.

I think mine are showing up maybe 1-2 days later. It bugs me when I cant figure out the exact culprit though. <_<

Julie, mine go away really fast too...the longest they'll stick around is like 2 days but usually gone in a day....sometimes less.

For about 2 years I thought they were just sores from biting my cheek by accident....although I could never recall actually having bit my cheek but it seemed reasonable to me. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

I've never gottem mouth sores from gluten, but just like all symptoms, they can vary for all people.

Katie O'Rourke Rookie

Me and my dad both get them - though he gets them a lot more than me. Mainly when eating certain types of fruit to be honest - for me it is citrus and kiwi and sharp fruits like that. Though for him it can be any, inclduing yoghurts. He also gets that weird tongue thing, where it goes kind of coated, but with red cuts appearing on it, and looks really sore. Dont think its related to gluten though - think its actually a vitamin deficiency - this could be worth looking into. Maybe some form of vitamin B? :unsure:

Kaycee Collaborator

Mouth sores, usually appear for me the next day after eating bananas.

I can usually tolerate a banana, and had done for years, eat one a day, but for some reason if I am a pig and eat two of them in a day, I get a sore in my mouth.

I will have no more than one a day at most, but more often than not I don't eat them now. Hence no mouth sores for a while.

Cathy

abbiekir Newbie

Mine can show up a few days after I have eaten something with gluten. Sometimes they are like a whitish pimple or sometimes they are very clear - like a blister and those most like a blister go away the fastest. I always get them along the inside of my bottom lip or at the corners.

Sometimes if I take a q-tip and dip it in peroxide and dab the sore in my mouth they go away faster.

I know it happens when I eat gluten or I think I am seeing a connection between citrus fruits or anything with citric acid like soda.

I also get the tongue thing where it wears a white coat and then I will get these spots on my tongue where it looks like my taste buds have been worn away and they look like large red spots- really ugly.

I haven 't been well lately- allergies, sinus, run down - ick- I have been trying to rely on my allegra but I think I will have to call Doc on MOnday to get an antibiotic this has been going on for two weeks. I just hate taking an antibiotic because it seems to just mess with my stomache. I am allergic to sulfa drugs so they always give me Cipro and I end up with the lovely bloated stomache- I think I am going to ask if there is anything else I can take to get rid of this sinus infection.

Sorry for rambling on I guess I just needed to

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I think my mouth sores are coming from sulfites. Thats funny that I'm reading that some of you get a coated tongue with it...I always get that too. Another thing is the taste buds on the back of my tongue swell up...they can get pretty big.

I get both black and white blisters....sometimes they're only tiny dots and sometimes big blisters. They appear mostly on my inner cheeks, inside my lips and occasionally on my tongue.

Does anyone else get this from sulfites?

jerseyangel Proficient

I get them from dried fruit and grape juice. Would any of those contain sulfites? The dried fruit might, I think :blink:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I get them from dried fruit and grape juice. Would any of those contain sulfites? The dried fruit might, I think :blink:

Jersey,

Those actually have the highest amounts of sulfites in them...besides wine...which comes from grapes. I was gonna post this on the OMG thread/book (as Mango04 calls it) but here it is. Its a good article on sulfites from Living Without Magazine...I love this mag. by the way.

Open Original Shared Link

Oh...Jersey...I notice in your sig. you cant have coconut. Is that fresh coconut too? Dried coconut is very high in sulfites. I always get bad reactions from things with coconut in them. I bought a real coconut and I'm gonna test myself with it since I cant tell if I'm allergic to coconut or the sulfites.

• 2 weeks later...
Green12 Enthusiast
Jersey,

Those actually have the highest amounts of sulfites in them...besides wine...which comes from grapes. I was gonna post this on the OMG thread/book (as Mango04 calls it) but here it is. Its a good article on sulfites from Living Without Magazine...I love this mag. by the way.

Oh...Jersey...I notice in your sig. you cant have coconut. Is that fresh coconut too? Dried coconut is very high in sulfites. I always get bad reactions from things with coconut in them. I bought a real coconut and I'm gonna test myself with it since I cant tell if I'm allergic to coconut or the sulfites.

I just noticed this about the sulfites. I've been trying to figure out what all I have eaten when I get mouth blisters/sores, and macaroons are a big one for me- maybe it's the sulfites in the coconut? Also Lara Bars.

And some brands of crackers and chips, I am thinking maybe it's the salt?

jerseyangel Proficient
Jersey,

Thanks for those, Rachel! In the first article, I thought it was interesting that asmatics who depend on cortosteroids are suseptable. While I don't have asthma, I have had many injections of steriods over the years--the type that last for 6 weeks (I probably will have traces of it in me forever <_< ). I also used to use Nasal Steriods. Grape juice causes just the blisters, but wine will cause flushing, hearing my heart pound in my ears, and strange head feelings (just a glass or two). Yes, it's dried cocoanut that I've tried--I had no idea sulphates were in that, too! I haven't had fresh coconut in years. It'll be interesting to see how you react to the fresh. Another thing I read in there is maple syrup--remember last week in the other thread (book) I had a problem with maple syrup after not eating it for a while? I thought it might have been CC, but then felt better the next day. *Are we ever gonna figure all this stuff out??* :D

abbiekir Newbie
I just noticed this about the sulfites. I've been trying to figure out what all I have eaten when I get mouth blisters/sores, and macaroons are a big one for me- maybe it's the sulfites in the coconut? Also Lara Bars.

And some brands of crackers and chips, I am thinking maybe it's the salt?

Actually I wonder about the salt thing too- a couple of days ago I ate the Lays Natural Potatoe Chips and I had the sores and then last night I tried the Terra brand sweet potatoe chips with no salt and no blisters? so who knows.

I do seem to get the blisters in connection wilth wine so there is deffinately something to be said about those sulfites.

Abbie

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Actually I wonder about the salt thing too- a couple of days ago I ate the Lays Natural Potatoe Chips and I had the sores and then last night I tried the Terra brand sweet potatoe chips with no salt and no blisters? so who knows.

I do seem to get the blisters in connection wilth wine so there is deffinately something to be said about those sulfites.

Abbie

Abbie,

Pretty much all potatoes have sulfites...so that would include potato chips. I'm not talking about the whole potatoes in the produce dept but anything that has been "prepared"....fresh or processed. Instant mashed potatoes, all the fozen fries, stuff like that.

It'll be interesting to see how you react to the fresh.

Jersey,

I cant eat the coconut because the one I have isnt organic. I was buying lots of conventional stuff as well as organic. I get more reactions from the conventional stuff so now I'm eliminating it completely for the time being. I still have the coconut sitting in a abasket on my table but if I got a reaction I wouldnt know if it was from coconut or pesticides. I never saw an organic one or I'd buy it in a second.

Anyways I'm 99% sure I only react to coconut because its desicated which always conatins sulfites.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Jersey,

Guess what....I went to the store tonight and I was just looking around and I saw a jar of coconut butter...I'd never seen this before. It's organic too! Only one ingredient organic raw coconut. OMG....it is soooo good. I probably ate too much like always but I didnt get the reaction I would normally get from other things with coconut in them. I wont give it a thumbs up though until I've eaten the whole jar and not reacted. Gimme about a week and I'll let you know. :D

abbiekir Newbie
Abbie,

Pretty much all potatoes have sulfites...so that would include potato chips. I'm not talking about the whole potatoes in the produce dept but anything that has been "prepared"....fresh or processed. Instant mashed potatoes, all the fozen fries, stuff like that.

Jersey,

I cant eat the coconut because the one I have isnt organic. I was buying lots of conventional stuff as well as organic. I get more reactions from the conventional stuff so now I'm eliminating it completely for the time being. I still have the coconut sitting in a abasket on my table but if I got a reaction I wouldnt know if it was from coconut or pesticides. I never saw an organic one or I'd buy it in a second.

Anyways I'm 99% sure I only react to coconut because its desicated which always conatins sulfites.

Thanks Rachel I didn't even know that potatoes (processed or prepared) have sulfites??!! that would explain a lot of the reactions that happen when I eat gluten free french fries too. I made dinner for my Dad last week and tried the -I think its the brand Alexia french fries that are gluten free and ended up with a mouth full of sores and some bloating.

Green12 Enthusiast
Abbie,

Jersey,

Rachel, I had posted about questioning the salt and Abbie jumped on too. While I definitely think sulphites/sulfites are an issue I seem to also have the mouth blisters and sores from things that have that salty coating.

What is desicated?

Mango04 Enthusiast
Jersey,

Guess what....I went to the store tonight and I was just looking around and I saw a jar of coconut butter...I'd never seen this before. It's organic too! Only one ingredient organic raw coconut. OMG....it is soooo good. I probably ate too much like always but I didnt get the reaction I would normally get from other things with coconut in them. I wont give it a thumbs up though until I've eaten the whole jar and not reacted. Gimme about a week and I'll let you know. :D

What do you put it on? Is it good to just eat by itself? I was thinking of buying some the other day, but I wasn't sure what I would do with it.

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks Rachel I didn't even know that potatoes (processed or prepared) have sulfites??!! that would explain a lot of the reactions that happen when I eat gluten free french fries too. I made dinner for my Dad last week and tried the -I think its the brand Alexia french fries that are gluten free and ended up with a mouth full of sores and some bloating.

abbiekir,

I love those Alexia Fries. So sorry they made you sick :(

All of the varieties have different ingredients (i.e. dextrose, maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract, some even have dairy which may be an issue). I try to stick with the Yukon Gold Julienne variety because they have the least added ingredients: Yukon Gold Potatoes, Canola Oil and/or Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt.

Jersey,

What a find Rachel! I have tried coconut milk but every brand I've found always has something added in it like guar gum. I hope you continue to be reaction free with the coconut butter!

collins3 Newbie

So, my question is how do you guys treat the mouth blisters? I have tried everything and nothing seems to be working. Mine tend to show up around 1 week after I've ingested something with gluten, and I usually get at least two at a time or three. very painful, almost feel like "hot" spots in my mouth. Very different from cold sores or canker sores, in that they last about 2 weeks for me. Just wondering what you guys do to help with the pain and to help them clear up.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
So, my question is how do you guys treat the mouth blisters? I have tried everything and nothing seems to be working. Mine tend to show up around 1 week after I've ingested something with gluten, and I usually get at least two at a time or three. very painful, almost feel like "hot" spots in my mouth. Very different from cold sores or canker sores, in that they last about 2 weeks for me. Just wondering what you guys do to help with the pain and to help them clear up.

Actually my blisters rarely hurt at all. I wouldnt even know they were there at all if I didnt see them in the mirror or feel them with my tongue. Occasionally I'll get one that hurts a little but nothing really bothersome. Mine go away really fast...like a day or 2 at the most.

What do you put it on? Is it good to just eat by itself? I was thinking of buying some the other day, but I wasn't sure what I would do with it.

So you've seen it? The only thing is the price...its $12.99 :o

I used to eat their cashew butter which was the same price but I dont do well with any nut butters not even that one.

On the jar it says you can put it in smoothies, or use as a dressing on salads etc..I think I'll definately try it in a smoothie. Last night I was eating it on celery and it was really yummy. I ate it out of the jar too.

What is desicated?

Its the dried coconut. Pretty much all the coconut in processed foods, stuff like Lara Bars, cereal, the little sprinkles on date rolls. Thats all dessicated coconut.

Archived